DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP6 - Finding which sequences use a given clip

Apologies in advance if this is a question already asked and answered, but I've been searching for an answer for an hour or more. I suspect the issue is not knowing just the right way to phrase the question.

Imagine an FCP project with, oh, say, 20 sequences for the 20 chapters of the future DVD. Also imagine a couple of hundred clips produced by ingesting entire tapes and using TC breaks to form the clips. I've constructed the 20 sequences using most of the clips.

Is there a way of selecting a given clip in the Browser and getting FCP to show in which sequence(s) the clip has been used?

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Unfortunately not; media management is one of the biggest weaknesses in FCP and despite the user-base pleading with Apple for years to boost it's capabilities even the newest version still suffers from it's lack-luster and outmoded media storage/management.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Use color labeling...

I've used the color coded labeling feature to give a clip in the browser a particular color, then I look through my sequences for that colored clip. There's a few different colors available, so I've given different types of clips (talking heads - red shading / b-roll - green shading) different colors to find more as I look for stuff.

Just right click a clip in the bin, change it's label from "none" to whatever color you want and you'll be able to easily pick it out.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow. I didn't realize that "there was no way to get there from here...." It seems such a simple question -- and obviously, internally, FCP has the information as to which sequence(s) a given clip is used in.

I, too, have experimented with color coding and it helps, but, obviously it's a bit of a hokey solution.

I think the only solution is to try and encode the information in the clip name by giving Sequences a number, e.g. " Seq 0060 <narrative description" and then suffixing the clip name with the sequence numbers in which it has been used. Basically doing in the textual name of the clip what FCP must be doing internally.

Oh, well....thanks for confirming I'm not nuts for not finding the answer...
Regards
Andy
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Johnson-Laird View Post
Oh, well....thanks for confirming I'm not nuts for not finding the answer...
Nope, you're not nuts, but apparently most of us are for thinking Apple would actually fix media "mangler" as it's often referred to.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite