DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Exporting HDV as ProRes

I'm sure this is buried in the archives but I'm in a crunch for time with a last minute request. I have a client to needs to have hdv tapes converted to proreshq (i don't know why the hq) and I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing it right before handing off the drives. If someone could give me a brief run down or a link on how to do this, that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Marsha
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Shouldn't be all that hard, capture your tapes normally and just drop your captured footage into compressor, then drop the premade apple template onto it.
It's in Apple-> Other Workflows -> Advanced Format Conversions -> Apple Codecs

Make sure you know if your dealing with progressive (30p, 24p, 25p) HDV footage or interlaced(60i, 50i) HDV footage first, as there's 2 templates, one for progressive and one for interlaced.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Would I need to dump everything on a sequence then send to compressor or is there a batch mode. Sorry I normally use a different program but really appreciate it!
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No what I believe Nevin is saying is you:

1. Capture HDV tapes as normal.
2. Locate the files on your harddrive.
3. Load them into compressor and following his instructions for ProRes.
Chris Leffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You can do batches in compressor, just import all your files that you want to convert, highlight them all, then drag the prores hq preset onto one and all should be ready to convert. Although you may want to change the destination folder so the new files don't end up in the same folder as the HDV files. To do this highlight all the clips again in compressor then go to the top menu Target->Destination->Other, then pick your folder . Then just hit submit and let compressor do the rest.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:37 AM   #6
Trustee

Am I missing something?

If your using FCP 6.02 or later you can go into the Audio/Video settings and choose the Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422HQ. This transcodes from HDV to ProRes as it captures.

You will not be able to log and capture, it will be more like a "Capture Now" where you can name the reel and then it will capture the entire tape making new clips at each timecode break if you have it setup that way in user preferences.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite