DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Pro Res via firewire appears broken (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/240099-pro-res-via-firewire-appears-broken.html)

Mike Watkins July 31st, 2009 07:50 PM

Pro Res via firewire appears broken

I upgraded to FCS 3. Now I can't seem to capture my hdv footage as prores thru firewire. FCP sees and controls my xha1, but there's just a blank capture screen and the "cueing tape" message. Has anyone else experienced this? I can log and capture as hdv.

Any suggestions, other than capture as hdv and convert to prores?

Any help appreciated.

Mike W.

Chuck Spaulding August 1st, 2009 01:29 AM

I haven't upgraded yet, but here's a thought.

Since there are a few new flavors of ProRes, when you choose to convert to ProRes via Firewire do you have an option to choose which ProRes codec?

Phillip Palacios August 1st, 2009 07:54 AM

Download and run applejack. Do a google search to find it.
Also trash your permissions (yes they may be corrupt even with a fresh install)
p

Mike Watkins August 1st, 2009 09:27 AM

Yay AppleJack

Thanks Phillip,

That worked and has me up and running.

Sweet.

Phillip Palacios August 1st, 2009 09:38 AM

If anything ever turns funky on my suite, a dose of applejack usually fixes it, it's such a great program.
Glad it worked for you as well.
p

Mike Watkins August 20th, 2009 05:19 AM

Problem not fixed...

well it appears that my problem is not fixed. Every time I try to capture as pro-res via firewire , nothing is captured. Using applejack worked once, but now I can't get it to capture even after a quick applejack run through.

Could this be a bug, or am i missing something in FCP 7? I had no problems before the upgrade.

I've tried the capture process on a HV20 and an XHA1, and neither will capture to prores. Capture to hdv still works....

thanks for any additional advice.

Mike Watkins August 31st, 2009 03:54 PM

Wierd issue.

I think I have found the source of the problem, but not sure of the fix.

It appears that the capture issue(only in Pro Res) is a conflict between my Presonus Firewire Audio interface and my firewire port. With the interface on(plugged into the back of my MacPro) and my camera capturing(plugged into the front side firewire port) I get a searching for media message and no capture of footage.

With the interface off, I get Pro Res capture as normal.

Did something change in FCP7 in regards to firewire detection and interference between devices, or does this sound like a firewire card/port issue?

Should I just stick with the 1 device at a time approach, which I will admit is a pet peeve of mine, for a $2500.00 computer? Or, do any of you know of another fix?

Thanks for any advice or help.

Mike Watkins

Mike Barber August 31st, 2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watkins (Post 1294804)
It appears that the capture issue(only in Pro Res) is a conflict between my Presonus Firewire Audio interface and my firewire port. [...] Should I just stick with the 1 device at a time approach, which I will admit is a pet peeve of mine

Since it is such an easy workaround, the answer is yes.

Tim Dashwood September 1st, 2009 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watkins (Post 1294804)
It appears that the capture issue(only in Pro Res) is a conflict between my Presonus Firewire Audio interface and my firewire port. With the interface on(plugged into the back of my MacPro) and my camera capturing(plugged into the front side firewire port) I get a searching for media message and no capture of footage.

With the interface off, I get Pro Res capture as normal.

It appears you've discovered a conflict with a third party device. You should notify Apple and Presonus so they are aware and one or both of them will hopefully start working on a solution. It is difficult for a developer to test all of the possible conflicts with third party hardware and software so I'm sure your email to tech support will be appreciated.
At the moment simply unplugging the Presonus will have to be your temp fix.