mac v PC laptops... speed? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 20th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #31
Major Player

actually had a conversation with the it guy from avenue edit and my editor there regarding final cut as a replacement for their avid systems. A main criticism is that much of what you pay for at that level is support. I would love to see apple offer a professional level support option for industry (obviously at a very high cost). I think the reality is that it wouldn't be needed all too often as the learning curve/IT needs of apple is so low (not non-existent but...).
I offer IT services for creative departments in ad/marketing agencies (among many other services) and find that the apple work groups especially operating in X and up handle server systems, print rips, and the like remarkably well... glaring problems being font archiving and outlook email server issues... freakin' microsoft... I'd say they're sabotaging but they have way more problems with their OS... ha.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:53 PM   #32
Machinist Mate

Hahaha! Good one! I used to say that the existence of Apple is proof of no MS monopoly. Fortunately I don't have Outlook issues becuz I use Lotus Notes...it's kinda weird too, but at least I have guys that understand it.

I agree about FCP, it is impressively low maintenance. Just occasionally need someone to walk me through some "user malfunctions."

I have begun thinking that when they ever do get Avid fixed on my machine, I am not going to be all that fired up to use it after being on FCP all this time.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #33
Wrangler

Sorry if this one is from left field but...I just purchased a laptop, a Toshiba Sattelite P25 series
-3.06ghz P4 w/HT (800mhz fsb)
-80gig hd
-512mgs ram
-17" wxga screen (1400x900 native res)
-internal 802.11 wireless
-internal DVD+/-R
-4 usb2/1 firewire
$1899.99

Runs Vegas 5, Photoshop, and After Effects 6 great! Photoshop loads in under 10 seconds. :)
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #34
Machinist Mate

Ah yes, but does it run Final Cut Pro??? (trick question) I don't want to start another one of those platform vs. platform skirmishes...the real question is whether you enjoy using it and it does the job you need it to do. This is apparently the case with your new machine.

I am not all about clock speeds and other such specs, they make nice cocktail chatter among engineers, which I am not, or even a technician for that matter. All I care about, and all that the people who pay my bills are about, is the results and getting the finished job out on time. And now that i have been on FCP since Version 2, I know that I can take my little machine anywhere and crank out reliable edit jobs on a tight schedule. Not a slam against other products, I just go with what I know.

Hey, if you are doing a lot of editing, wouldn't it be a good idea to drop another 512MB RAM in that beast?

BTW, my old 733 MHz G4 takes all of 13 seconds to launch PS, including plug-ins. Hee hee.

Oh yes, and I do have a couple of PCs.
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #35
Wrangler

Yeah I'm probably going to do one gig- though it's upgradable to 2 gigs. I already purchased a Maxtor One-touch external 200 gig drive for my media. I love it! Much better deal than my old Sony Viao GRX I bought 2 years ago.

I'm not trying to start a Mac vs PC war either as I just wanted to mention there was a 3ghz 17" widescreen w/ built in wireless internet and DVD+/-Burner for under 2k. To me for what you get in this package it's a great price.
It's a well known fact your going to pay more when you go Mac but I'd have to safely assume when someone chooses one platform over another it's not because of price. If I were a Mac guy I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra to get a system that is going to run the apps I know and love...and vice versa for us PC guys.

That's not to say I don't "like" the Mac offerings- I've heard wonderful things about FCP...though for me to try it would cost me an arm and a leg and an entire platform switch...plus I like the open architecture of PC machines...I can upgrade when I want, on my own and for very low cost.

If the originator of this thread isn't dead set on FCP looking into a PC laptop should definitly be advised...as you really can get more for your money. However, as I stated above, if your heart is set on FCP it's a no-brainer.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite