NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #136
Regular Crew

nope both clips come from FCP3, from the same tape even. They were captured in one run on the same machine.
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #137
Wrangler

Three video layers, each with a simple matte layed in to create the proper shape, and probably position adjusted left and right to place the faces in the right spots. My guess is that it would be far harder to coordinate the timing of the dialogue amongst three people. The easiest way would be have an actual a three way phone conversation, which would require three simultaneous camera setups. Otherwise you are looking at possibly mis-timing of the dialogue--it's a bitch.
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #138
Wrangler

FCP4 Color correction--advanced question

Hi folks:

I'm doing some multi-filter 3-way color corrects, and when I attempt to do a "limit effect" layer that focuses on a particular color/section of the frame, I am able to see the changes on a still frame and in a preview version, but upon rendering, the limit effect is not showing up. The other color correction filters that don't involve limits do still work. I'm just baffled on this one. Thoughts? Clarifications needed?
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #139
Contributor

Fixed.

I fixed it. What happened was that for some weird reason FCP reverted to the DC30 driver for handling DV... so it was sooo slooow because there is no DC30 card in my system...

Easily fixed with a few clicks in the right place.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep up the great work This is such a nice place.
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #140
Wrangler

Aha and oho. My editing guru (who is, damn his talented soul, all of 21) just stopped by and pointed out that I needed to switch from Unlimited RT to Safe RT, even when looking at still frames. Apparently Unlimited is only an approximation of the final effect, so I was dialing in a look based on a non-accurate preview. Well geez, maybe if I had a sexy G5 under my desk instead of that oh-so-passe dual 1gHz G4...!
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #141
Regular Crew

best fcp4 tutorial ?

Hello everyone,
I started out using imovie but i really need to have more.
Can anyone suggest me a good tutorial book that's complete and easy to use ?

and also: what mac do you suggest ?
I thought to get an iMac, 1gb ram, 160 GB int. HD
What do you think? is the G5 a must? is ext. HD a must?

thanks for your help.
stefano
Stefano Sarfati Nahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #142
Regular Crew

I am reading and really like Jerry Hoffman on FCP. The DVD has some beautiful footage and excellent exercises that makes the tutorials a joy to edit. He also gives incite into his editorial thinking and the "whys" not just the "how to."

My other favorite is Editing Techniques with Final Cut Pro by Michael Wohl.

As for the computer. The bigger, faster the better. Is a G5 essential? No. Does it make editing easier and faster? For sure.

Enjoy the journey.

Mickey Stroud
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #143
Inner Circle

A G4 tower would be nice for a few reasons:
dual processors (2nd processor lowers render time by ~70%)
easy to install RAM
can install internal hard drives, which are cheaper and better than FW
can drive dual monitors (dual monitors are cheaper than one big one)

The G5 1.6ghz is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. Probably get a reburbished G4 off http://www.smalldog.com or maybe eBay (if you trust eBay). Installing your RAM is usually half the cost of Apple-installed RAM and very easy to do. www.crucial.com is one place to get RAM.

You can buy many of the FCP training products off the lafcpug.org store, possibly at a discount. The forum there is excellent btw.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #144
Major Player

There are a couple of good books and videos out there.

EDITING TECHNIQUES WITH FINAL CUT PRO is a great book because it is from the point of view of an editor so he talks about editing first and only in the second part of the book does he get into the 'how to do that in FCP'.

I like Jerry's stuff too.

Final Cut Pro 3 Editing Workshop by Tom Wolsky is good too. even if you find the one for FCP 2 on Half.com or eBay cheap buy it

that also goes if you can find any training videos or CDs off eBay (like the POWERSTART series) buy them if the price is right. Even if it's for FCP 3 it will give you good information and teach you the basics which do not change.

Same goes for FCP 3 books.... you need the basics down first.

I would not recommend the Visual Quickpro book for beginners at all. It's a reference, not a book to teach you.

I was lucky enough to watch the INSIDE FCP 4 dvd at a client's shop recently and it's pretty good but the price is steep.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #145
New Boot

unable to initialize video device?

a week ago I was doing fine. Now Final cut is telling me my camera is not turned on when it's firewired and on and all that other good stuff.... whats up with this? I need to get some work done and the NLVE gremlins are pullin my hardware apart....
Kyle Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #146
New Boot

I assuming that you plugged the camera in before opening FCP? That is usually my problem.

Try trashing the FCP preferences and then restarting FCP.

If that does not work, do you have another deck or camera to try on that firewire drive? I have had my firewire on a G4 go screwy on me and not work. I had to add more firewire ports.
Lisa Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #147
Regular Crew

System Choice Question

The time has now come for me to make a choice. I am going to take a class and I must chose between Avid and FCP. I realize this is a hot topic and I am not trying to make trouble. I am totally green and have no opinion. I am also not what you would call a computer guy. I am totally open to all thoughts.

My intention is do this as a part time job, so I am concerned about which system will give my future customers confidence. (Apple offers a "Certification" title if I pass a test. Would somethinglike that be a intangable asset to my future production busines or just a waste of $150)

Is there a great difference in hardware costs?

Flexability is also a factor, as I have no idea if I'll be doing corporate training, indie films, or music videos.

I guess I want to know how you came to choice FCP.

More questions than answers. Thanks for any help you can give.

--Chris please note-I'm going to post this, reworded, on the Avid forum as well to get the Avid POV. If this is a bad idea, please remove it or do what ever you think is best ;-) --
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #148
Warden

It could be a bad cable, try swapping cables.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #149
Regular Crew

What nobody edits in offlineRT? Any help would be appreciated.
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #150
Regular Crew

Audio pops.

I have a great Mac system pushing Avid Express DV. The only problem I have is when I am digitizing long clips of video/ audio (or long clips of video/ audio are playing) the sound begins to pop violently. The audio does not digitize with the popping sound, it only happens during playback. I am using the USB soundsticks and I have heard that may be the problem. Anyone have any insight on this REALLY annoying problem???
Chris Staab is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite