DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 15th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #1621
Regular Crew

worked it out

For those wishing to edit low res, master high res..here is the way you do it ( worked it out last night)

Go to media manager - set media setting to recompress - Recompress media using DV PAL 48 KHz ( in my case)
Media destination needs to be set - I chose capture scratch

Then select each footage item in the browser and batch capture
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #1622
Major Player

Atlantis or Nattress for conversions ?

Do any of you have experiences going from pal to ntsc with either of these ? Please share your thoughts. thanks alot- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #1623
New Boot

Adding new external hard drive

Hello Folks,
Set up: G5 OSX 10.3.6 FCP4 (Drive 1)Lacie 160GB d2 EX firewire 800 Near full of media. New Drive (Drive 2) lacie 250GB d2 EX daisy chained to drive 1. firewire 800
The question is how do I work inside FCP4 and have access to both drives. Is there a way to do this. I am half way into a project and need more hard drive space. FCP4 has you dedicate one drive for your media and what can you do if you need the use of media on 2 separate drives. Any help with this would be great.
Thank you,
Brian
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #1624
Wrangler

Is there really such a limitation in FCP4? I am still using FCP3 and there's nothing to stop you from using as many drives as you want. You do need to specify a scratch disk which is used for captures, but you can change this as you go if desired. In fact, I find that one of the "gotchas" with FCP. If for some reason your scratch disk is offline (like an unplugged firewire drive) FCP just goes merrily along and chooses your boot disk without telling you. Everything will keep working transparently afterwards, even though your files are split between the two drives. Where it can bite you is if you assume all your files are on the external drive, then move that drive to another machine. Then you will suddenly learn that some of your clips and render files are actually on another drive.

But I don't think you will have any problem other than that. If one drive is almost full, just specify another drive as your scratch disk. As long as both drives are always available I don't think FCP will complain. Or at least that's my experience on FCP3.... is something different in newer versions?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #1625
New Boot

Thanks Boyd

Boyd,
Sounds good to me...I will try this. It sounds like just because you designate and place media on one drive it does not mean FCP will not access media on additional drives as needed.
Thanks,
Brian
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #1626
Regular Crew

After Effects training video

Guys say i have After Effects 6.5 and I want ot learn how to use it will the training video for 6.0 give me the basic idea on how to get started and fell my way around or are the two programs totally different?

Thanks

Also does anyone know if the plug in Frischluft is compatible with all the AE versions.
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #1627
Regular Crew

How To change

How do I change the field dominance in a project? from not set to lower in FCP. In the item properties it says (not set) and in the sequence presets it says field dominance lower (even). I imported a clip fom live type its field dominance settings are (lower even) but when imported to FCP they change
to none. The video file is not accepted in DVDSP3.
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #1628
Regular Crew

I just go an extra firewire drive. What I did was to copy over my two current projects to the new drive following the guide at: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...p_4_balis.html
Look for the topic "Copying And Moving Project"

Also to avoid/work around the problem of having a single projects files split between different drives and folders:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...s_fcp_4_x.html
Under "To correctly set your Scratch Disk Preferences"
This way all projects media files stay in separate folders in the drive you specify, much easier to back up and get an overview of.
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #1629
Warden

It is changed in the sequence preset editor. FCP>Audio /Video Settings>Sequence Presets>Field Dominance.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1630
MPS Digital Studios

Uncompressed capturing question

Can I capture with my 1.6 ghz G5 uncompressed BetaSP footage with my Decklink card, directly onto a firewire-800, 300 gb hard drive, 7200 rpm? Or is it too slow?

heath
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #1631
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff Thanks for replying to my post. I changed my setting under user preferences to prompt for new settings on new projects and sequences. My Audio/Video settings are DV NTSC 48 KHZ for my capture presets and sequence presets. In the browser column for sequence under field dominance. It says lower (even) but when I capture a clip it says none in the column for the clip.
Thanks Dave
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #1632
New Boot

Thanks Benjamin

Thanks for the info Benjamin.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #1633
Regular Crew

FCP users -- Can I get my audio back after deleting it from a clip?

Hello.

Does anyone know an easy way in FCP to restore the audio of a clip once it's been deleted? My situation is this: I edited several clips in the timeline and deleted the original audio, replacing it with a music bed and narration. Now the client wants to mix in the original audio. Is there any way to get the original audio for each clip back without having to re-edit each clip?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:06 AM   #1634
Regular Crew

Importing an .mpg file into FCP4.5HD?

I am having problems importing a .mpg file into FCP4.5HD. I get the video but no sound.
I have tried to convert via Cleaner6 and Quicktime Pro, but nothing seem to help. Any advice?
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #1635
Warden

What was used to encode it? There may not be a Mac codec (plugin) to decode the video portion of the file.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite