NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 111 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:37 AM   #1651
Warden

That's very odd Jerry. I used to use AE a lot and don't ever remember a lot of jumping. How slow are you trying to get? Maybe the clips need to be longer than 4 seconds to get the smoothness you want. what type of color effects? If you go into extremes it will cause banding and noise.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #1652
Major Player

compressor question

How in God's name do I open the MPEG 2 window pane?
I'm about to shoot something.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1653
Major Player

nevermind, got it.
And I didnt shoot anything.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM   #1654
Machinist Mate

If I have a project of any major nature ($$$) I try to designate one specific external Firewire drive for this job (after ascertaining that this drive has enough room) and capture everything to it, plus do all my rendering and save all versions of the sequence, and other media used in the job like audio and Photoshop files there.

Then I don't have to worry, I can plug it into literally any computer that has FCP installed, carry the job between locations easily, return a rented computer on-location and finish up at the home office etc. or just not worry if something goes wrong with the computer.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1655
Regular Crew

Audio Drift Post-Capture

Help. I'm working on an 8-minute industrial that captured into FCP just fine, but now am hearing a 16-frame audio drift when working on the timeline and when I go to export to either QuickTime or Compressor.

The video was captured 8-bit uncompressed 4:1:1 from a DigiBeta deck to an XRaid. Editing was done on a G5 connected to the XRaid and all was well.

The entire Capture Scratch folder, supplemental media and the project file were copied to a LaCie Big Disk Extreme 500Gb drive over Firewire 800, a total of 350Gb of material.

I brought the drive home and attached it to my Dual 1.42Gh G4. I have another LaCie 500Gb that I use for my Final Cut Pro render/cache files attached in a daisy chain over Firewire 800 to the previously mentioned firewire disk.

The project is nested. The main edit is in its own sequence. That sequence is nested into "master" sequences that include color bars, a slate, and a broadcast safe filter. The master sequences also include a monolithic mastered stereo audio track that was done outside.

The sequence containing the main edit, with all of the original audio plays back fine. However, on the master sequence, the mastered audio track drifts to a lag of about 15 frames at the end of the 8 minute spot.

Attempts to scale the audio just seem to cause unpredictable results when I export -- sometimes the audio leads, sometimes it lags.

I'm absolutely pulling my hair out. I don't think this is a disk throughput or CPU issue as the lead/lag is encoded that way in the QuickTime -- I believe this is true as when I start/stop or scrub through the QuickTimes the lead/lag is always the same.

I've read everything on "audio drift" and "audio sync" I could find -- can anyone shed light on what might be happening?

Thanks,
Cameron
Cameron O'Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #1656
Warden

Nesting can cause problems with the audio. Have you any "old" un-nested versions you can try? I try to save several copies when I start to nest sequences. Copying files can also lead to sync issues. Did you use the Media Manager to move the files?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 25th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #1657
Regular Crew

Well, the nested edit sequence is pretty messy so I'm not sure I want to layback the audio track onto that. However, while playing around with the sequences, I created a new sequence, nested the edit sequence in, and then layed in the audio track. And, surprise, the audio sync'd up perfectly (I checked it against the orginal audio.)

So, although serendipity is a great thing, and I'm back in business, I'd sure like to know what is going on.

Thanks,
Cameron
Old November 25th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #1658
Warden

I don't have a good answer, other than nesting occasionally cause audio sync issues. I'm sure apple is aware of this and it will be addressed in future versions.

Old November 25th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #1659
New Boot

Older Topic - gen error 34

I can't open my Audio/Video Settings.

I get this mssage (General Error 34)

I thought if I made a new project it would go away, still there.

I have read, trash the prefs, delete bad audio, delete a empty layer on a photoshop graphic.

My son had started a slide show using bmp's & a Aiff music track

Any clues?

Thanks
Steven H. Denn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #1660
RED Code Chef

Which program are you using?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #1661
New Boot

General Error 43

FCP 4.5
Steven H. Denn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1662
Regular Crew

Thanks for the lead about the nested sequences. That's what led me in the right direction.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Cameron
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #1663
RED Code Chef

I've moved your thread to our Mac editing forum. Hopefully there
are some people here who can help you out. Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #1664
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Cameron O'Rourke : Thanks for the lead about the nested sequences. That's what led me in the right direction.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Cameron -->>>

Not sure if it would help, but have you tried mixing down the audio before nesting your sequence to the master?

Peter
Peter TK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #1665
Regular Crew

24p and FCP

I'm shooting on the xl2 in 24p mode and I'm wondering do I need to change the settings on my FCP system? Before this I was shooting with an xl1-s. running FCP 4.5. Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite