NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 6th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #286
Wrangler

Not sure about this since I have never tried, but the error message sounds self-descriptive. Did you try disabling device control? You might have a look at BTV Pro for live capturing and monitoring on the Mac. Very nice little shareware program. I've used it on my Powerbook as a field monitor.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #287
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. I must just be missing some setting in FCE. I just went into iMovie with the camera connected, and from there I can monitor the live video, and capture it by just clicking on import.
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #288
Regular Crew

I think the titler in FCP4 is aweful, but I'm sure if you're only creating simple text then it should suffice.

I cut mostly television commercials so the necessity of having an intuitive titler is greater. I was really dissappointed with the lack of a standard WYSIWYG within Final Cut Pro.

Livetype has some cool features but having to export an entire project into livetype and then back out to FCP for export to tape is too cumbersome for me. So is the option of creating titles first in photoshop.

Our Avid Xpress has a WYSIWYG titler, so does our AVID DS, and even Adobe Premiere has a decent titler, so I guess I just assumed FCP had the same, but sadly I was mistaken.

Eddie
Edward Natale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #289
Regular Crew

FCP 4 render problem when applying motion blur and drop shadow...

Whenever I apply a drop shadow and motion blur to a clip using the motion tab FCP4 decides it does not want to render.

If I only use one of those effects it renders fine, but when i apply both FCP opens the render status window for a split second then disappears, leaving my timeline unrendered.

Is this a glitch in the system or am i missing some sort of software setting? I'm working with 10 bit uncompressed media via an AJA IO.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eddie
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #290
Regular Crew

Have you tried selecting the clips with the attributes applies in the timeline (so that they are "highlighted") and then select "Render Selection"?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #291
Regular Crew

Yes. No luck.

I tried everything I could possibly think of and have narrowed it down to a problem with applying both the drop shadow as well as motion blur at the same time in the motion tab.

I've recreated the problem numerous times with different clips just to be sure it wasnt just a random issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Eddie
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #292
Wrangler

I've never used FCE, but on FCP 3 you would go to "Audio/Video Settings" under the FCP menu. There is a pulldown menu "Device Control Preset". Based on your error message I assume you need to choose "non-controllable device" from that menu.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM   #293
New Boot

I've done it couple of times and it's like Boyd Ostroff says "Audio/Video Setting" / " non-controllable device"
Angel Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #294
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Edward,
I do not believe that this is a malfunction at all. You did not tell us nearly enough to enable an accurate diagnosis.

Based on what you did indicate, however, I would guess that your "problem" is actually related to (a) your the real-time rendering / timeline preference settings (on your sequence of your general prefs) and/or (b) the processeor platform of your Mac.

Spend some time with the FCP doc, particularly familiarizing yourself with the various RT and rendering settings.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #295
New Boot

dual monitor problem....help

Trying to finish up a "huge" project and my dual monitors just spazzed out!!! Everytime I try to turn a monitor on, the monitor goes into shut down mode and will not respond to my mouse???

So, I shut my computer (G4 Dual 1g) down and restarted with the same result. Eventually went around back of computer, unplugged monitor cables and tried to plug them back in, switch them around, etc. Nothing is working....so now I'm stuck with 1 monitor.

I can get an image on both monitor, so I know the monitors are OK, I just can't get an image from both at once.
Jason Epperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #296
Warden

It sounds like the video card that drives the monitors has a problem. Are you using two video cards or a single card with two outputs? What version of OS X are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #297
Regular Crew

Hows Panther and FCP4?

Want to install panther but need stability.
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:56 AM   #298
Regular Crew

Um, well.. yeah. They work decently together. No worse than 10.2.8 and FCP 4 I'd say. But have fun with Panther in general. I don't care for it. I'll pass and wait for the far superior 10.4 "Calico".
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #299
New Boot

dual monitor problems

OS X 10.2.6 is the version I'm using and the card has 2 monitor outputs.
Jason Epperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #300
Contributor

For me it worked better than 10.2.x. Much better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite