NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM   #376
Regular Crew

I use both Avid and FCP. At work I use Avid Media Compser and have gotten cerified. For my personal business I use FCP. I see it as more of a preference thing. I like both and each are very strong. Avid has a larger learning curve than FCP. They are both capable of doing mostly the same stuff. I dont have a lot of extra plugins for FCP so I think I am partial to Avid. The media management in Avid is way better. In FCP you just make a folder for your project and you dont have to worry about that. I have been using both for years. I spend more time in Avid and have been happier with the things you can do with it. As stated though I do have a lot of bells and whistels to go with the Avid suite so I guess I am partial. We all know Avid also cost a lot more. Another plus for people like me who use both Mac and PC I can share files when created or caputred in Avid on both platforms.

I do not believe the question which is better can be given. It just depends on which one you like best or have the budjet for. I would personally choose Avid over FCP even thogh I think they are a close match.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #377
Inner Circle

FCP4.1 not capturing

Weird problem. My boss has FCP4.1 and all of a sudden, it's stopped capturing. Takes in cues on batch capture and ignores out cues on batch capture. Nothing is recodding to drives. We have tried recording to a Maxtor and Ultra Scuzzi stripes, neither is running when we try.

Here's the weird part. When he boots up FCP3 with os9, it DOES capture to these drives.

Oh vast and unpaid research department, here my plea and answer my call.

WTF?

G4 dual 533 Seperate system drives. One with osx and one with os9.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:25 PM   #378
Warden

Have you trashed the preferences to FCP on OS X? Do a search and you'll see my instructions. There are three files that need to be deleted, not just one file.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM   #379
Inner Circle

Jeff,

Been searching, can't find a specific thread, maybe I'm not using the right search words. preferences, FCP,

Boss says he knows his way around OS9 but not X. (Hey, I'm sitting across the room typing this on my PC that runs avid. Yeah, we've got a line painted down the studio, but hey... the fridge is on my side.)

Can you point me to the right thread?

Thankz
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM   #380
Warden

Search trash and FCP with my name as author. This one will help you.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:32 AM   #381
Major Player

Funky problem in FCP with mystery clips popping up...

Hey All: well I'm AE on a feature up here in Boston for a few weeks and the director and I have run into a rather strange problem with our project. It seems that throughout the project (1.5 hrs) while editing it, there are pieces of footage from a different part of the film popping in for maybe 5 seconds at a time during unrelated shots. Above each instance when this occurs, the timeline is BLUE indicating that it has been rendered. So far we haven't added any filters, color correction etc. (the footage is untouched) that would require a render. Checking the properties of these clips that have the random cut ins shows that nothing has been added like a special feature or effect. We tried to copy and paste into a new sequence and if you only copy a few shots, the problem is fixed. If you copy the entire project over, then we get the problem back. Also, it seems as if when we first encountered this problem maybe a few days ago, it only occured once. Since then, it seems to be happening many more times now throughout the film (around 20 at this point). Finally, when the problem occurs, it is only the picture and not the sound though the sound was recorded on a DAT tape and then we synched it in post. We are editing in a lab so we've tried the project on numerous machines with the same result. We're running an external 160 gig HD that the files are stored on. Does anyone have some suggestions for fixing this problem without anything too drastic? Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #382
Warden

Trash FCP's three preferences files. I've written instructions for this on many occasions, so a search of key words preference and FCP should turn up some of my posts.

Old March 25th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #383
Regular Crew

Jeff- Maybe the instructions for trashing the prefs should be in your signature. :)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #384
Warden

Not a bad idea Ted, thanks.

Old March 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #385
New Boot

Question about setups in FCP 4.1

Dual 2 G5 w/1.5 Ram 2 160 HD's
Is there a setup I'm missing?
Footage shot with a Canon XL1

When I park on an image that has motion I'm seeing dual lines of the image like the fields are pulled apart. It has the look of TV Lines from an older Avid Ice effect.

Any Ideas?
Steven H. Denn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #386
Warden

Are you seeing the lines in the slug or canvas? What size (%) are they set to? Try setting to fit to Window. You may just be seeing interlace lines.

Old March 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #387
Warden

Steven, there is a button at the top, center of the Slug and Canvas (has numbers and % sign). It has to do with how large the window is. Try reducing the size of the window or use the "Fit to Window" setting.

Old March 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #388
Regular Crew

GeniusDV class

I just got back from Miami after taking a Final Cut Pro class from GeniusDV.

It is a great bacis class and it got me up and running in 3 days. They cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. Small class and a great instructior.

If any beginners out there are considering it, go ahead. I was pleased.

Joe Gioielli
Old March 28th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #389
Tourist

Split Screen help

I'm shooting a movie in a month with a dvx100 and I would love to do a split in the middle of a continous steady cam shot.

The lead guy is walking along then gets a phone call - SCREEN SPLITS WITH THE GIRL WHO'S CALLING HIM - they talk and then the screen UNSPLITS as the guy finishes the scene in one uninterrupted take
Anybody have any idea? I have after effects, premiere, vegas and avid dvxpress to use in post.

Thank you very much, I learn so much from this board.

Josh Townsend
Empty Bottle, Loaded Gun Productions
Jacksonville Florida
Josh Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #390
Tourist

Child Lock on G4 + G5

Please could someone tell me how to stop my boy from playing
with the computer.
Can I make a pass word on the users loggin or is this the wrong place?
I have D450 G4 and will get G5 later on.

I would like to thank this community for this web page, I look at it
evey night for the past 3 years its the best of the web sites.
Many thanks for any help
Philip Banyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite