NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #631
Warden

For Quicktime movies (.mov) go to File>Export>Using Quicktime Conversion>click the Options button>click the video settings button and select the Codec from the list. You can also check the Prepare for Internet Streaming box and select Fast Start or one of the other settings for web use.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #632
MPS Digital Studios

HELP! Dumb move on my part

Long story cut short: I inadvertently trashed what I thought was one of two copies of a FCP project, when in fact it was the only one.

Any solutions on how I can recover it? My copy of DiskWarrior won't work on my G5 with Panther...

I'm dumb, I know,

heath
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #633
Trustee

Would this work?

http://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/mac.php

murph
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #634
MPS Digital Studios

trying it right now.

h
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #635
MPS Digital Studios

Heh...They wan't money to pay for the recovered file.

hwm
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #636
Trustee

That's weird, I read down to where it said "for Free" and didn't read any further.

I guess the catch is you see the files...and then they make you pay????? How cruel!
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #637
Regular Crew

Is it a "select all clips" function that I should be performing, as if the project is one large clip, before I render the timecode print effect? And once I've laid it off to VHS, is the undo edit function the means to remove the effect to restore the timeline project?
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #638
Regular Crew

Importing Illustrater files

I need to know a few things regarding bringing Illustrater files into FCP 3.0
First, what sizing should the designer be working in so once the project is done, it drops into FCP correctly to scale?
Secondly, how do I actually import these files, put together using Illustrater 10, into FCP? Quicktime?
Finally, the designer asked me to find out what the maximum saturation level is for red, again, for Illustrate 10?

Thanks
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #639
Major Player

I seem to remember drag and drop but that may be after effects... eps files maybe? make sure they're rgb and not cmyk...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #640
Major Player

red saturation limit? dunno... scale would be the size of the project 640x480 is std. ntsc 720x480/6 is norm for FCP. Make sure you factor in title safe and viewable area. I'd suggest dropping a mock up in before the designer fine tunes just to check things out. Turn on title/view safe rulers when you do and mirror to a nice monitor.
Josh
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #641
Regular Crew

What UPS do you use?

I am interesting in purchasing UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) device for my NLE system and was just wondering what you use and if you have any tips for me.

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #642
Major Player

There are only two good ones, iirc from my research a couple of years ago. Those by Belkin and, especially, those by APC. If you're not sure, get one by APC.

Don't go by the power hold times listed on the box. Your current draw may differ.

Keep in mind, too, that most power outages don't last more than five minutes. That's plenty of time to quit out of your work and shutdown properly. Of course, that doesn't help with long renders but if you are going to be down more than an hour your UPS won't help you anyway unless you can spend the really big bucks.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #643
RED Problem Solver

I like the APC ones - they appear automatically in the prefs on my new G5, with settings for what to do when the power goes out etc. and battery life. I had a problem with an APC and they shipped a new one straight to me, and were very helpful on the phone.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:41 AM   #644
Regular Crew

Nesting problems in Final Cut

I have a nested sequence. I double click on this nested sequence to bring up a new tab that shows all the individual clips on their various tracks. However when I make changes to these clips and then go back to the nested version it remains unchanged. Why is this happening?

To clarify my problem: The nested sequence is my final version with final filters and audio settings applied. I just want to go in and tweak a couple of the clips, I make my changes to the relevant clips but when I go to the nested version - it shows that the area where I made the changes needs re-rendering but in fact the changes are not there.

Am I being stupid here - what's going on?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:10 AM   #645
Warden

What version of FCP are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite