Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #661
Regular Crew

Cheers Jeff, I'll give them a go.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #662
LA FCP UG

Intelligent Assistance has "Practical Color Correction" a training DVD that is quite good. You can read all about it and get it in the lafcpug store.

http://www.lafcpug.org/store_tutorials.html#anchor12201575

Otherwise there is indeed room for FCP training DVDs focusing on advanced features such as cutting 24P, HD workflow, cutting dialouge, etc.

mike
Michael Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #663

audio track making a beeping noise?

Hey everyone,

got another (probably silly) question...

In FCP4, I am trying to import an MP3 (i downloaded it illegally, sorry) into an audio track and no matter what mp3 I choose, I get the same unwanted result. The clip shows up in the timeline and I can view it in its waveform and play it from the beginning in the viewer, but when I press space bar or hit play to see the video footage accompanying the audio track all I hear is a beeping noise.... beep-beep-beep... what do i do?!!?

Thanks all,

Jerry
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #664
Regular Crew

The beeping ususlly indicates that the audio track(s) has not been rendered.
Richard DuPree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #665
Regular Crew

I don't know about illustrator files but, the proper size for FCP (DV) is 720x480.
Make sure the illustrator graphics are created in the RGB color space. The legal RGB color range for NTSC is 16 to 235. The color limits I use for RGB graphics are: White: 235, 235, 235; Black: 32, 32, 32; Red: 180, 16,16; Yellow: 210,210,25; Blue: 20,20,210; Super Black: 16, 16, 16.

Hope that helps
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #666
Regular Crew

As far as the illustrator files go, if FCP won't open them, pehaps they could be exported from illustrator and saved as tifs. Then you could import the tif files directly into FCP.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #667
Regular Crew

FCP 4 problem playing back QT.mov

I am running FCP 4 on a Dual @ 2 GHz G5 w/2.5 gigs of RAM and 2 internal 250 GB HDs.

I created a series of 110 minute programs in FCP 4. Exported them as QT.mov(s) using QuickTime conversion. Saved a few on my second internal HD that is dedicated for media only, and the others on an external HD also dedicated for media storage. These drives are not partitioned.

I am importing the QT.mov versions back in to FCP in order to make copies of the programs on DV Tape.

I am having trouble playing some of them back. I get a dropped frame error message. No other sequences are open, RT is set to safe, the windows aren't overlapping eachother in FCP...

Any ideas on how to improve playback performance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #668
Warden

What size are the windows set to? Try fit to window.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #669

ok. thanks, that worked - i rendered the audio track. but do i need to do this for each track i put in the timeline? it seems like sort of a time killer - especially when i usually try out 4 or 5 songs before i am set on which one i want to edit with...
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #670
Regular Crew

As long as the music is in mp3 format, FCP is going to have to do extra work, which means some amount of rendering.

FCP will be much happier if you convert the music to aiff and then import it. iTunes can do the conversion for you.
Mike Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #671

ok great, thanks alot!
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #672
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, I double checked and the viewer and canvas are set for "fit to window".
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #673
Warden

You could try trashing the three FCP preferences files. This works for many errors. You can get to the link from here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #674
Regular Crew

taking footage offline

Hi all

I've been playing around with final cut pro hd (4.5) and wondering how to get the offline footage to work.

let me explain the setup first: I have a powerbook g4 1.5G with 80G onboard disk. I've logged a huge amount of footage onto an external firewire disk and I need to edit.

So, first I've converted the footage to photo jpeg and saved the resulting project to my hard disk. It makes a huge difference to the size and it's easier on the G4 to handle and it leaves me with loads of headroom for other bits and pieces I mess about with as I learn this huge package.

Ok, so I have a nice small project working on the internal disk and I can edit it easily. Question is, what is the procedure to convert this offline footage back into a full blown DV clip that I can output back to tape as a master?

I am going to read the manual in more detail tonight but for the moment I'd appreciat some tips on how to use this feature correctly.

thanks
Donie
Donie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #675
Regular Crew

G5 1.8Dual and Sony VX-2100

I'm about to get a Sony VX-2100 in a few days, along with a cta battery (don't know if i'll use/keep it), a NP-F960 battery, 4 year extended warranty, and a lens.
I've also had the G5 1.8ghz dual for more than a few months.
I also got FCP4 and DVDsp2.
My question is, since im sorta of a noob to DV(used to work with a Sony VX-3 Hi-8), is what else do i need or should have to video and edit films, movies, ect?
Any tips, suggestions would be appreciated(like quirks of the cameras, software, minidv tapes, ect)
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite