DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #706
Major Player

www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

•ADC and DVI connectors; DVI to VGA adapter included.

Now all you need to get is an ADC to VGA adaptor (Dr. Bott - $20-$30) and you are set.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #707
Regular Crew

Help needed w/ an APC UPS

So, I finally got the APC BX 800VA. Unfortunately the manual is not very helpful and neither could I find an answer to my question below on APC's web site. According to the instructions before you use a UPS unit, you need to charge it for 8 hours. So what I did was plug the unit into a grounded outlet but I didn't turn it on because soon after it was plugged in, it started making a sort of a "ticking" noise which, I assume, is supposed to when it charges. About an hour later I checked the unit and it felt warm. So my question is this: Is this the right way to charge the unit's battery before use? Should I have turned it on?

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #708
Regular Crew

Stills taken from video

I have exported a few stills from FCP4. Of course I would like to De-interlace in photoshop. How would I do this so that the fields are one again?

Any idea or knowlede for a first timer?

Thanks
Joe
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #709
Regular Crew

click filters, video, deinterlace and try the different options for best result
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #710
RED Problem Solver

APC have really good tech support - just phone them up and get your answer direct.

However, on the APC units I have at home and work, I've never read that I had to charge them - just plug the battery in, plug the gear in, switch on and go....

But really, phone them up!

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #711
Major Player

Yes. They need to be charged before use.

The ticking sound you hear could be the relays inside doing their job thinking they are protecting an attached computer. The unit gets slightly warm while charging and in use but should never get hot.

Yours sounds normal to me.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:17 PM   #712
Major Player

Dealing with 2 computers...

I was wondering how those of you that have two seperate computers (1 at work, 1 at home, etc.) deal with editing/programs/files/sharing/etc. I currently have a PC for work and Mac for home (editing) and am toying with the idea of getting a iBook to have at work (and where ever else) and keep the G5 at home. But, I hate having some info on one computer and all my other stuff on another one. Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks in advance...

Clay
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:32 PM   #713
Wrangler

I have 3 Macs: two G4 desktops and a G4 Powerbook. One of the desktops is getting old (733 single, running OS 9) so I really only use it as a backup and also to do 3d or video rendering when I have a big project.

So on the other desktop I run a program called "Personal Backup X". I have two main folder heirarchies with all my personal an business files in them (probably 15,000 files), and I use this program to do file sync between the laptop and desktop machines. Basically the software compares the contents of these folders between machines and copies files in both directions as needed to keep them identical. Seems to work very well. I have a LAN at home with 100MBS ethernet and plug the powerbook in there, enable personal file sharing, then login to the laptop from the desktop machine and run the file sync program. The desktop machine is sort of like the "master" and there is nothing important on the laptop that isn't duplicated on the desktop.

I don't backup my software generally speaking since I have all the original disks. But every few months I do a full disk copy of the desktop machine's hard drive to an external firewire drive. When I'm being especially conscientious I take one of these drives to the office and keep it there in case of a catastrophe at home.

Now for the big files, like video and 3d animation, it isn't practical to backup as much as I would like. So I generally keep a backup of current projects on a firewire drive, and for the rest I just have the DV tapes. But a bunch of this stuff is also backed up to my old G4 machine.

Important business related files are backed up to one of our servers at the office, and the server gets a daily backup from the IT dept. I can access the file server remotely over IP from home if needed, and this also provides a way to share files with other staff on and offsite (but not big files like video). I think the same things would work pretty well for you in a mixed PC/Mac environment; you could just enable SMB windows sharing on your laptop, mount it on your PC and copy files, or there are various products out there to allow sharing in the other direction.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:37 AM   #714
Major Player

Fcp 3.0- Problems With Transitions

Been having some problems with certain transitions on FCP 3.0, and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and/or knew of a work-around?

(I have a G4 dual 1 gig with 240 gigs, and 1 gig of ram)
Two video layers, and I'm adding a "page peel" effect. Nothing. It just shows up as a cut. Yup- done the render, tried changing some of the values too. Nuttin.

Several other Quicktime fx seem to do that too.

Anyone else?

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM   #715
Warden

How many tracks of video are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:35 AM   #716
Regular Crew

FCE Capture Weirdness

I captured a tape that I shot this weekend using the capture now command. It seemed like everything worked ok, but it only plays back the first clip on the tape which is about six minutes long. I checked the file size of the clip and it was 12.5 GB. I tried opening it in Quicktime and reimporting into my project, but I still had the same problem.

I guess that I'll have to recapture the tape. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows how to keep it from happening again.

Also, the second tape I captured worked fine.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:09 AM   #717
Major Player

I have 6 tracks, but only using the two for the edit.
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM   #718
Major Player

to be honest, I've never tried doing a transition from one video layer to the next but I'm guessing that is what you are doing: transitioning from the end of a clip on V1 to a clip on V2 ?

I'm not sure you can do that BUT you could generate some transparent slug (like generate a lower third clip but not have any text in it) on the same layer as the clip you want to transition out from and it might just do the page pull to a transparent clip which would reveal the video underneath.

Not at my system right now to see if that works but it should. I've used empty generator clips to do stuff like that before.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:16 PM   #719
Major Player

The little powerbook that could...

Started encoding Return on the King from msv to Divx using quicktime on my 1ghz powerbook 2 days ago. Almost 75% complete now... hahahaha I fugured it would only take 3 hours.
But it's for a good cause I want to put every scene in FCP and switch it with Danny Devito in the movie "Whats the worst that could happen" where he's going on about a ring..

Theres my good morning story to everyone.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:20 PM   #720
Regular Crew

Ibook And Fce

I'm thinking about purchasing a 933 or 1 ghz i-book for rough editing while on the road. I'd appreciate any experiences from any current ibook owners.

Also, how's the ibook perform with drawing programs like Canvas or Illustrator?

Thanks for the help!!
Kevin Crockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite