DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/24621-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2004-a.html)

Rob Lohman January 7th, 2004 10:19 AM

It probably asked for the ICC file so it could install it into the
engine, probably just as a convinience so you don't have to do
it later by hand.

Most people here seem to use LaCie for harddisks though I think.

Glenn Chan January 7th, 2004 10:20 AM

FCX 2 should render faster than FCX. And the 2-way color corrector will actually be real-time.

Glen Elliott January 7th, 2004 10:41 AM

Yeah I mean that Mac people like Lacie products in general. Seems to be more marketed towards that crowed for some reason.
But yeah...I'm happy with it- kick the crap out of my old Sony E540. I think it's the same model as the Mitsubishi Diamondpro 22. The stats are practically identical...plus LaCie refers to the screen as "Diamondtron Aperature Grill".

Clayton Farr January 7th, 2004 11:10 AM

Tweaked FCP Icons

For those of us with some old project still lingering a version back, here are some tweaked FCP icons that may help make life a little more sane.

I keep both versions of FCP handy and needed a way to make sure that I was opening certain projects in v3 rather than constantly launching the newer version. After deciding the subtle differences in tones and stripes of the current icons weren't enough to remind me which version was which on the dock, I tossed together these slightly more legible versions.

http://www.globalartways.org/fcp_icons/

HTH,
Clayton

Clayton Farr January 7th, 2004 11:14 AM

I just realized that the archives are not retaining the icons on the files (used built-in 'archiving' feature of OS X.) Let me try stuffing them with DropStuff. Just a sec.

Clayton Farr January 7th, 2004 11:39 AM

Well it looks like they're working now.

FWIW, I guess I'm used to using an older version of Stuffit - the latest version uses .'sitx' as the file extension and seems to confuse the browser as to how to handle the file on download. I've changed them to '.sit' and they seem to be working alright. Hopefully your mileage doesn't vary too much. Well back to the real work I guess...

Best,
Clayton

Mike Butler January 9th, 2004 05:18 PM

Thanks, Boyd.

I learned this the hard way, and once in a while I still drop the clip in while the right arrow is showing and I have to Command-Z it and re-drop the clip, this time checking to be sure it's got the down arrow.

It's still a heck of a lot easier than the jog-shuttle wheels on an old Panasonic edit controller! :-)

Jaime Valles January 10th, 2004 06:14 PM

Help! No real time playback on FCP4 w/ Dual G5???

Hello, all. I'm having some difficulties here with FCP4, and could use your expertise...

I have a sequence on the timeline, shot with the DVX100 24pA. I can play back the sequence fine on an external NTSC monitor, but if I try to put one of the clips in slow motion (50% speed) the program crashes!

I'm working on a Power Mac Dual 2GHz w/1.5GB RAM, and over 200 GB of HDD. I can't imagine this computer not being able to handle a simple slo-mo. Are there any settings I need to be aware of? I'm new to FCP, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Ted Springer January 11th, 2004 01:35 AM

I am not sure why it is crashing, but try changing the real time settings. On the top left corner of the timeline window you will see a tab called RT. Click it and check your settings. Change Safe RT to Unlimited RT and change the playback quality to whatever is the best. These settings even work on an eMac so they should surely run fine on your G5 except for complex video that has lots of filters/transitions/etc which you would need to render first no matter what.

Ken Tanaka January 11th, 2004 01:39 AM

Also double check your sequence's settings to make sure they are correct for that 24PA footage.

Jeff Donald January 11th, 2004 07:30 AM

What size do you have your viewers at, 100%, fit to screen?

Gerald Galloway January 11th, 2004 02:41 PM

dvd studio pro 2 w/ dual 500 mhz g4

will this work ? when apple says system requirement for dvd studio pro 2 is a single processor g4 733 mhz , does that mean that i can't use my dual 500 mhz g4 at all to use this application ? or that is merely not reccomended ? anyone running less than 733mhz g4 using dvd studio ?

that would utterly blow since my machine should be faster than the single 733 mhz.

Sharon Fraats January 11th, 2004 04:33 PM

My girl friend Gabby is running DVD SP 2 as well as FCP 4.1 without any problems. The key she found out was the RAM, max the RAM on the motherboard and it works great

Mike Harpe January 11th, 2004 07:59 PM

Seems to work on a Dual G4/450 with 896 MB RAM

Compressor takes forever but I can live with that.

Mike Harpe

Jaime Valles January 12th, 2004 09:45 AM

Got it to work! I set it on Unlimited RT and put the playback quality as "best", and now it works perfectly. The reason it was in Safe RT and low quality playback before was because I got some problems when I first started working on the timeline, and a dialog box came up that suggested I use the low quality/Safe RT settings. Weird...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your replies! Right now I'm playing with the 3-way color correction tool... WOW! I thought DVX100 footage was impressive by itself, but now it looks spectacular!

Thanks again!