NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 29th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #856
Regular Crew

Audio While Capturing

Sorry for all the questions, I really am. This is my first few days on a mac/fcp and I want to get all my major gripes worked out so I can be happy. This is my last question for a while, I promise.

Ok when I have the capture window open it doesn't play any audio, but it captures it as normal. Is there anyway to get it to play the audio while you have the capture window open? Because I kind of need that.
Steve LaClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #857
Regular Crew

Re: Audio While Capturing

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve LaClair : Sorry for all the questions, I really am. This is my first few days on a mac/fcp and I want to get all my major gripes worked out so I can be happy. This is my last question for a while, I promise.

Ok when I have the capture window open it doesn't play any audio, but it captures it as normal. Is there anyway to get it to play the audio while you have the capture window open? Because I kind of need that. -->>>

You would need to plug in the audio rca inputs (white and red) from the camera to the computer.
Or you can do what I do, if you have a camera with a LCD screen that plays back the audio too, use it as your audio source.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #858
Regular Crew

Oh damn, I thought it was just something I was missing, Or could I even get the left and right stereo cables that turn into the headphone jack at the end and just shove them in the audio in jack. But thanks for letting me know I didn't screw anything up, I have a lcd on my vx2100 but I don't think i'm going to be using that much longer for capturing footage. But most one chips have lcd's anyways, so I'll be in good shape either way. Thanks.
Steve LaClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #859
Regular Crew

Check out this thread. Your questions should be answered.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28215
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #860
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You can try using the "SMPTE-C" or "NTSC (1953)" profiles. Alternately, if you have access to a monitor color calibration system you'll want to create a custom profile for your monitor.

But, honestly, no matter what you do the color space on your Mac's monitor will not really match that of your video's true color space. So be cautious of attempting to make accurate color corrections if you need to do so.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #861
Regular Crew

THanks Ken, maybe i should consider a monitor. Is there an inexpensive monitor that you can recommend that can output from FCP firewire?
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #862
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No production monitors (that I know of) will take Firewire input. All will require an analog signal, such as a composite. That means you'll have to come out of a deck, your camera or some type of a/d converter.

There are many good production monitors. Browse through B&H's site. Sony is the gold standard, but JVC and Panasonic have very good units, too. A 13" is a good, economical size. 9" is just a bit small and generally a bit too low of resolution for desktop color work, in my experience.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #863
Regular Crew

fcp4 viewer glithches w/apple's 17" cinema display

i just replaced my old viewsonic crt with a 17" apple cd. i've found and annoying bug it has while playing back footage in the FCP4 viewer windows. i see a strange ripple effect (on/off) that doesn't show up in the quicktime clips in my scratch disk and isn't on the original footage. my "system settings" for playback are rt unlimited ~ high etc.. i've moved them all around and the bug remains. i've also laid it back to tape (from FCP4) and the image is clean. it appears as if it some playback conflict/refresh rate issue the 17" apple cd has with final cut. any advice or tips? if it were a slow refresh rate issue (tearing) wouldn't it appear in my quicktime viewer or when i view a dvd with idvd? i can't figure out why it only appears in the fcp4 viewer windows! what gives......

powermac g4 1.25 ghz (sp) ~ 1.25 RAM ~ os x (10.3.4)
200 gb western digital firewire drive ata 100
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #864
Regular Crew

Sorry, I thought I'd posted my solution. I put the Qt file in the trash then clicked into FCP and when it cried 'missing file', I brought the file out of the trash and reconnected it and everything was wonderful.

Thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #865
Warden

Lowering the quality setting didn't help? Do you have the latest video drivers installed?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #866
Regular Crew

question about DVDSP2 (for Jeff Donald)

Jeff, you always seem to be able to answer the questions i have about DVDSP2 very quickly. Have you ever built a DVD9 or anything bigger? I have heard that there are now dual layer DVD10 and DVD11. can DVDSP2 or 3 handle burning the image of a DVD10 (dual layer) or a DVD11 to a hard drive? All i know is that it can handle DVD9s. If you have can you shoot me an email to alfredbot9000@yahoo.com becuase i was wondering if it would be possilbe to give you a call or have you call me because we are in a slump with making a dvd9 for a band because of size constraints we may have to go to a dvd10 or 11.

thanks much.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #867
Warden

I'm still using DVD SP 2 and as far as I know DVD9 is it for this version. DVD SP 3 might do DVD10 or 11, but I doubt it. It will do a Video_TS file to a hard drive and your replicator may be able to do a DVD10 or 11 from the HD. You might also want to ask on the Apple support forum here.

I would think that you could author two separate projects and burn each to a side of the DVD10. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #868
Regular Crew

Hard drive problems after FCP re-install

After re-installing FCP 4.0 (to fix other problems involving inability to export to Compressor) on my G4 (have OS X 10.3.4, and two external hard drives), I tried to open projects that I had worked on before, and got the message: "Cannot read file. It appears to be corrupted." Tried multiple projects that had been on other drives, same answer. Then, I download the FCP HD upgrade, restart my computer, and try to launch it from my dock, but it won't launch. Other programs will launch, though. Closest I can get into my FCP projects is to launch the project's shortcut off my desktop, and then FCP 4.0 opens, with the "corrupted file" message.

Can anyone help me? To see what else I've already tried, go to the thread at: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?threadid=28158&goto=newpost

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #869

hmm thanks for the link ray but thats not the same problem i am having.
FCP is taking the quality out of my audio track - i can still hear the music but it sounds much worse than in iTunes
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #870
Regular Crew

Possibly your memory - be sure you have at least 1 to 1.5 gig of ram. I had the same problem where I thought the music (which was an imported MP3) was cutting in and out but only marginally. When I actually exported it, it was fine, but while previewing edits it seemed skippy (like it was choppy) so to speak. Also when I exported it to a Quicktime Movie, the audio did seem to be the same. Memory should solve that issue.

After you let us know about the memory config your using, maybe someone else can chime in with some advise.

Good luck.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite