DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 16th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #976
Regular Crew

Working between two computers

What's the best approach to working between two computers? I'm going to do some rough edits on a dual G4 and then finish my project on a G5 (the computers are in the same location). Should I save my project to an external HD and then move it to the G5 when I'm ready to use it? I want to make sure there aren't any problems with lost clips or the G5 having trouble finding their paths. If there's a better option, then the workflow will be much faster.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #977
Warden

I use the FireWire Target mode. Turn of the G4. Plug a FireWire cable into the G4 and G5. restart the G4 and hold down the "T" key during restart. The FireWire symbol will appear on the G4's screen and the drives plugged into the G4 will appear on the G5's desktop. Transfer the media to a drive on the G5. Turn of G4. Unplug cable and restart the G4.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #978
Wrangler

I have worked between my Powerbook G4 laptop and two G4 desktops using an external firewire drive, but my experience is with FCP 3 and not the newer versions.

It all works very well, but there was one "gotcha" that you needed to be very careful of in FCP3. This had to do with specifying a scratch disk. If the computer did not find the disk you had chosen in your preferences (for example, if it was a firewire drive that was unplugged) then FCP would without warning default to putting render files and captured clips inside the documents folder of your "home" on the computer's boot drive. This meant that you needed to always check the scratch disk preference when moving between computers or run the risk of having files end up on an internal drive.

Has this been changed in the newer versions of FCP? I found this to be sort of a nuisance on version 3, but nothing that couldn't be dealt with if you kept it in mind.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #979
Regular Crew

Powerbook + PC wireless network solution

What I is the best way to network a 12inch Powerbook to my PC desktop so that I can extract files from the PC’s hard drive and share its printer? I would like the Powerbook to be wireless but the PC will be hard wired. Is there a solution to do this economically? I like some of the products I see from Linksys although it dose not say if they will work with the Mac or with the Mac and PC combo. Also I would like to share the same internet connection.

Any Help would be great.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #980
Regular Crew

Alex,
The internet connection will be a breeze. Mac or PC use the standard 802.11b. As for the sharing this guy has a pretty good step by step.

http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/pcfilesharing.html

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #981
Major Player

Hm. Sharing the printer depends completely on the printer. The easiet thing to do would be to buy an Airport Extreme Base Station and hook that into your DSL or Cable modem. It has a ethernet jack for you to plug your PC into and your PowerBook can connect wirelessly if your PowerBook has an Airport Extreme card (802.11g or b). You can plug the printer (if it is compatible) into the USB jack on the base station and then anyone on your network can print to it... at least in theory. I don't know if the PC will detect it or not. You could go to the apple support pages and do a search or post a question about this setup there. According to the site, if you have windows 2000 or XP it should work: http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

I would guess there are cheaper solutions out there, but I don't know if they would be as easy to set up.

If you just want to share files then take any ethernet cable, connect the two machines, and turn on file sharing on your PC. The mac will detect it when done correctly. I believe Barry's link is accurate for setting this up. It is easier to connect to the PC on your Mac then the other way around. Getting a PC to recognize your Mac's windows file sharing can be tricky. (You don't need to worry about a cross-over ethernet cable, the powerbook's ethernet jack is smart enough to figure everything out)
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #982
Regular Crew

Viewing Unsqueezed Anamophic During Capture

Can I in the capture window of FCP4 on my Powerbook during direct to external harddrive capture? I want to frame my shots properly with my DVX and anamorphic adapter without having to buy a 16x9 monitor. Is there a plug-in solution?
Frank Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #983
Wrangler

I use FCP 3 and know there isn't a feature for this, don't know about FCP 4 but I kinda doubt it.

I suggest that you take a look at BTV Pro which is an inexpensive shareware application that I find really useful. You can display and/or capture video in this program and the screen size is fully configurable. I shoot anamorphic 16:9 with my PDX-10 and use BTV Pro all the time as a portable monitor that shows full screen underscan video in the correct proportion. On my 15" powerbook I've set the default for full screen at 1280x720.

The program has a lot of other features, many of which I haven't even tried, such as time lapse recording. You can also access a variety of "scopes" to analyze the video stream which can be really handy as well.

Give it a try, you can use it in demo mode for free which gives you full access to the features.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #984
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Sloan : You could fake something like it using FCP too using green screen tech, just shoot the people, the background and the car separately and then put them all together at the end, simply dropping out the green background of the crew, putting the car with its green background dropped out under that "layer", and then the static, normal shot of the background acting as the base shot. Maybe I'm over complecating it? But at first glance you could shoot it that way with very little work to set up and very little post work.
Can FCE do this too?
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #985
Regular Crew

thanks for the link...i was hoping there was something out there like that. seems like a really easy feature to include in fcp4. i too capture on my pb, and love that i get to shoot exactly what i want and edit immediately.
Frank Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 03:07 AM   #986
Major Player

You could do green screen with FCP for sure but as far as my experiences go with green screen, it isn't as easy as just pointing a camera at a subject on a green background and calling it a day.. there's lights involved, distance, focal points, focus.. not to mention a crapload of equipment u'd have to bring... it's doable, but if i don't think as easy as one would gather. Then again i guess one could always rotoscope that car in lol.. gee that'd be fun :/
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #987
Regular Crew

Very strange problem with FCP. Help!

Hi. The problem is: when I press the "fast-forward" button on my FCP, despite of fast frames, a black screen appears. A very loud noise occurs too.

It´s not captured footage. I´m trying to fast forward from a tape that is "playbacked" from a DV VTR.

The system goes like this:

audio: VTR > AJA capture card > mixer > speakers
video: VTR > AJA capture card > mac G5 with FCP 4

Don´t forget the most important information: I´m trying to fast forward the tape from VTR using the FCP.

Do you think this noise and the black screen was supposed to be happening???
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #988
Warden

Some VTR's will not play an image in FF. Some VTR's have to have image playback in FF turned on in an internal menu. Is the noise your audio in FF also?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #989
Regular Crew

Correct Project Audio Settings

I've noticed before in the past if you use audio that didn't match your project settings that sometimes you'd get crackles or whatever. Our current project is shot with 2 vx2100's on 16bit 48kHz, but I'm switching over to a vx1000 which you know is 12bit 32kHz.

Can audio from the vx1000 still work good in a 48kHz project without distortion?
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #990
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I´ll be more especific: the VCR is a Sony DSR-25. When I try to fast-forward from the FCP, pressing the FF button, a terrible loud noise occurs. The tape begins to roll fast, but no image appears, only a black screen.

I heard someone say that it could be a software problem, and an update would solve the problem. Do you know anything about this update?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite