DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/24621-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2004-a.html)

John Paulsel January 19th, 2004 01:52 PM

Thanks, Jeff. Turns out it was a "order" issue. I should have known; it''s the same way in Premiere.

Mike Moncrief January 19th, 2004 09:11 PM

more on file formats

Hello,

Got such good help here before, i am coming back to seek more advice..I am preparing some animations and graphics for a FCP editor across the country( I am working on a PC) and from what I have gathered the Editor is pretty much of a Newbie to Mac and FCP.. I will be sending him some CD's with AVI files on them..What will he have to do to import them into FCP??
Convert to Quicktime?? Instructions please??

thanks so much..
Mike M.

Shawn Mielke January 20th, 2004 02:47 AM

MB & FC(P)(E)?

"Specifically, Magic Bullet does not work with Final Cut Pro because Final Cut Pro supports the Adobe After Effects v3.0 API. Magic Bullet is written for the AE 5.5 API."

This is straight from the redgiantsoftware.com MagicBullet FAQ page.

I'm rather new to all of this. Aren't FCP users using MB? If so, how?

(I currently use FCE).

Thanks.

Shawn

Ken Tanaka January 20th, 2004 12:22 PM

To my knowledge, Magic Bullet is an After Effects plug-in. I've never heard of anyone using it outside of AE.

The common workflow would be to finish your cut and then export your work from Final Cut to AE for MB processing.

G. Lee Gordon January 20th, 2004 01:23 PM

Upset With Apple!!!

Okay brothers & sisters of this forum, we need to pull together. I was one of the proud owners of the new Mac G5. I believed the hype and spent the money for it. One month later they put out a G5 dual 1.8, for roughly the same price as my regular 1.8 (because the original bench tests were slower than they expected) I feel that Apple needs to provide a program to upgrade the people who bought the original G5. A similar program to what they did when they came out with Panther. If we get enough signitures (or support) we can present the case to Apple... SO WHO'S WITH ME!!!

Shawn Mielke January 20th, 2004 03:53 PM

Got it. Now I get to go find out what AE is all about. Thanks, Ken!

Nicholi Brossia January 20th, 2004 05:06 PM

Virtual PC, Windows Media Encoder

Lately I've been playing around with Windows Media Encoder and really like the results. However, as many of you know, I'm basically out of luck when it comes to running this program on my Mac. But what about Virtual PC?
Basically I'm just hoping to hear from someone that already has Virtual PC installed on their Mac. Will it run the free downloadable Windows Media Encoder?

Ted Springer January 20th, 2004 08:53 PM

I can't really relate to your situation, but Apple is one of those companies that does not focus very well (anymore). Customer satisfaction is far from top priority. Releasing incomlete software is commonplace, letting the people who purchase it beta-test for them (saving Apple money). Apple figures that there is no reason to release finished software, since they can always fix it with a "patch" later. This goes with the OS as well. They just wanna get it out the door and nothing more.

I love Macs and all, but if you do choose the Apple platform, your a-hole will eventually begin to hurt at some point. But that's typical with many companies nowadays. (Mods: I tried to say that as politely as I could).

Jeff Donald January 20th, 2004 09:13 PM

Ted, that is officially know as BOHICA (pronounced bow-he-ka), which stands for bend over, here it comes again.

Glenn Chan January 21st, 2004 12:19 AM

A company like powerlogix might come out with a dual processor upgrade.

The 1.8ghz G5 wasn't a very good buy at the time. I suppose you should have waited a bit.

Jeff Donald January 21st, 2004 04:29 AM

I don't use Virtual PC, but I haven't heard of a compatibility problem. However, many programs that involve heavy processor work, like encoders, run very, very slowly on Virtual PC.

Jeff Donald January 21st, 2004 04:34 AM

It will be better (higher quality) if the file is uncompressed. Your friend can import the uncompressed avi into QT Pro and convert to whatever format he needs.

Jeff Donald January 21st, 2004 04:36 AM

Search audio sync in this forum and you'll see some of the usual suspects to round up and look at.

Glenn Chan January 21st, 2004 11:14 AM

A lossless codec like animation (Quicktime) will be the same quality as uncompressed by at around 40% of the size. The Microcosm codec (costs money) compresses more than animation. If you need to go even smaller then a lossy codec is in order, but you could probably just span CDs with something like winRAR.

Brandt Wilson January 21st, 2004 11:56 AM

FCP color balancing against Macbeth?

Anyone have a good method for color balancing against a Macbeth card? I'm looking for a way to use it as an RGB reference, but can't find a tool to balance anything but for what white is, or to manually tweak the image to taste. Nothing for specific colors on the card.