DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #1036
New Boot

Looking for TV input ?

I would like to add a TV to my G5 for video editing. Can someone tell me what the best tv would be ? All i can find is a 13inch being the smallest. One brand better than the other ? Things i should be looking for in a editing monitor ?
Chris Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #1037
Warden

Hi Chris,

Welcome to DV Info. You can find quick answers to questions like this by using the search function in the upper right corner of this window or use the search link in my signature. Use the terms broadcast and monitor in your search for best results. I prefer the Sony look, but JVC and Panasonic make nice monitors also.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #1038
Regular Crew

16:9 to 4:3, NTSC to PAL

I will be shooting a sports documentary this summer. in a 16:9 native DV camera, win NTSC. We'd like to shoot 16:9.
The rights holder will want to send it to news satelite feeds. So I was thinking of taking my Powerbook with a Lacie drive to do the edit. I just found out, THEY will needs 4:3 PAL, since uplink trucks in Italy only hold PAL equipment and all news are 4:3. and THEY say it is impossible for them to put in a NTSC deck in the uplink facility. Never mind what is possible there, but technically is All this conversion possible inside FCPHD with the additional equipment of a PAL deck? Is that alot of rendering time? Should I at least consider shooting 4:3 instead, sacrificing the focal length?
If someone has done this before, even half of it, please give me some advice. All suggestions opinions welcomed.
THanks in advance,
Takeshi FUksuhima
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #1039
Trustee

Takeshi,

converting NTSC to PAL in FCP will not produce broadcastable results, you'll probably find motion artifacts and the picture will be jumpy. You're best bet will be to shoot it in 16:9 NTSC and then take it to a post house and have it converted professionally.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:09 AM   #1040
Regular Crew

So....

i have to spend the time and record the second stereo pair in a second pass... that seams like its a waste of drive space and time... (one being the time to digitize and two being the same video in the second pass for space !!!) AVID you can do this in one pass !!!

but with that complaint stated... how do i get this accomplished...?

do i set the Capture preference to 1 and 2 for the first and then 3 and 4 for the second one. ????

and after that how do i sync them back up without knowing exactly how much space / timecode is between the slate and the start of the audio files.... ?

Thanks
Brian
Brian Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #1041
Regular Crew

Thanks Adrian,
Yeah, I have just been told about this. We are probably going to rent a PAL version PD-150 or something, whatever is available, and designate this camera for the news feed, have an extra guy shoot it. While we concentrate on what we're really doing.

Just started surfning. My back is sun burnt like crazy.
not been to Chigasaki yet. Must be some pretty good waves now that the Typhoon is here.
Chears.
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #1042
Wrangler

With FCP 3 they bundled a copy of the Peak DV audio software. I've never really played around with it much, but the manual says that it has this feature. Are they still bundling it or has it been replaced with SoundTrack?

Yes, GarageBand does allow you to change pitch, although my only experience with it is using a MIDI keyboard, so not sure if that feature works with live audio. GarageBand is sort of limited regarding import/export from what I've seen.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #1043
Major Player

Vegas will pitch shift

Ship it to someone you know that works in Vegas. They'll pitch shift up or down 24 semi-tones very easily by selecting the audio track and pressing the + or - key (other shortcuts for full octave shifts). They can then render it back out and send it back to you.

BTW, John Kerry actually sounds better pitch shifted down a octave to Hillary Clinton's normal range ; 0

(Probably going to get sent to the penalty box for that one.)
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #1044
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.
I think I'm going go go with Boyd's suggestion. Peak 3 Express comes bundled with Final Cut Pro. I haven't ever used or even installed this program and was hoping FCP could be sweet-talked into changing the pitch, but apparently that's not an option. So it looks like I'll get to have some fun with a new program.

Thanks again.
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:36 AM   #1045
Regular Crew

Render problem with FCP 4 HD. Please, help!

Hi guys.

My FCP4 HD wants me to render EVERYTHING I capture and place on a timeline. When I scroll the mov file to this timeline, the red render bar appears. Why??????

When I press the PLAY button of the Canvas, after rendering, it doesn´t output properly to the monitor.

I´m using a mac G5, AJA Io and Final Cut Pro 4 HD updated last week.

What may be the problem?

The AJA troubleshooting manual says "the sequence setting does not match the clip setting". Is it right? Maybe the problem are my settings?
Old July 30th, 2004, 05:21 AM   #1046
Warden

Settings should be the first place to look when everything indicates a need to render. What is the source of the material and what are your sequence settings?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #1047
Regular Crew

Your best option is to shoot 16:9 PAL and convert it to everything else :-)

Get a house to do a tape to tape conversion with a Snell & Wilcox box or some of the software options are:

Procoder, PC only, http://www.canopus.com
DVAtlantis, mac/pc http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/macversion.htm
Nattress FCP plug-in, http://www.nattress.com/standardsConversion.htm
Convert, mac/pc, http://www.mtifilm.com/

FCPro doesn't support Standards Conversion as is, you need the plug-in or a 3rd party app,

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #1048
Trustee

Let me know if you have trouble getting a PAL cam as I have a PAL XL1.

If you want to surf in Chigasaki bring a longboard and don't come on the weekend. The tyhoon has bought a good swell but as usual the banks here can't handle it. The strange thing about surfing here in Shonan is that when it's small, .3m, almost every day, there's 100s of people out but as soon as there is some size the crowd almost disapears. If the banks were good I'd be stoked as I hate surfing small waves.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1049
Regular Crew

audio phase shift in FCP4?

does anyone know if there's a way to flip an audio track 180 degrees out of phase. at work i often edit interviews that use 2 microphones and alot of the time they are out of phase. if there was a plugin or something in fcp4 that would do this, that would make things a helluva lot easier. thanks.

corey
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #1050
Major Player

<--The AJA troubleshooting manual says "the sequence setting does not match the clip setting". Is it right? Maybe the problem are my settings?-->

Yes, this sounds correct. You can control click the sequnce to change its settings but it sounds like your FCP setup settings don't match the source material.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite