NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 73 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #1081
New Boot

Ok, after rendering the clip, I now have the audio! Thank you again.
Steve Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #1082
New Boot

Thanks. Have used the first suggestion in the past and was worried that too much was lost in the conversion. Will look into the other two suggestions.
Tim Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #1083

Help! Someone tell me what software to get for 3D modeling!!!

Hi,

I've just bought a g5 with FCP HD and all that comes with it. For some reason, I assumed it came bundled with some type of 3D object creation and mapping software. (Well, really it does, but you have to know programming to do that in LiveType). I need to be able to create simple objects like jigsaw puzzle pieces and map them with with video footage and the like. I fiddled with Graphic Coverter, but don't think it will do quite that.

Can someone suggest a good 3D graphics package that doesn't get me into Lord of the Rings type effects? Things like motion are 2 grand etc. !!!!! Right now all I need is basic object creation and mapping that I can import into FCP HD. Not sure if After FX does this (don't have it). I figured there has to be something out there under $500 bucks. I'd like to be able to do impressive 3D stuff for like industrial videos and news broadcast looking stuff. I figured that Motion would do these things . . . but unfortunately I need something this week. If common programs like Photoshop can do this, please let me know, and perhaps a bit on how to do it.

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #1084

Will do, thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #1085
Regular Crew

For cheap 3D I suggest you check out Cinema4D. Alot of motion graphics folk use this for their 3D work and then combine it with programs like After Effects.

If you are doing puzzle pieces that need to explode outward or combine to create a complete image, there is a plug-in that comes with After Effects (pro) called Shatter that will do what you want.

My 3D program of choice (for now) is LightWave from NewTek.

Motion - when it is released from Apple - will not do 3D, rather it is a cheap compositing program that only costs $299, not 2K.

As a last resort, you could always hire a freelancer to do the work for you.

Cheers
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #1086
Wrangler

Maybe it's more involved than you want, but I have been using Strata 3d on the Mac ever since 1995 or thereabouts, it's one of the oldest ones out there. Cost is a little more than what you want though, about $700. However you can download a free trial version that is fully functional for 30 days, so maybe that's a way to get your project done for nothing? http://shop.strata.com
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #1087
Major Player

you can also take a peep at this very basic package... 3D Invigorator.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1088
Regular Crew

xml exporting

I exported a project as xml on my G5 and would like to import it to my G4. Do I just transfer the xml file or are there other folders to transfer as well, like clips.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #1089
Regular Crew

Don't overlook Cararra Studio ( http://www.eovia.com ). This is a nice full-featured 3d animation and modeling studio with good all-around performance and features. It also runs on both MAC and PC platforms. Not "real expensive" for what you get.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1090
Major Player

live MPEG-2 encoding

Soon I will be working on a project that requires numerous 1 hour sessions to be taped to miniDV, burned to DVD, and recorded to VHS. The intention is to use one continuous shot without cuts or further editing (of course, we'll see how this goes). Generally, this process will include many stages - record to miniDV, capture to computer, encode to MPEG-2, burn DVD, record VHS. I would like to make this production as efficient as possible by accomplishing as many tasks at one time as I can.

At this point, I plan to record to miniDV (camcorder), capture to iMovie (firewire), and maybe even VHS (analog out), all at once. That would knock out a lot of time, leaving only the MPEG-2 encoding stage and DVD burning. If possible, I'd like to incorporate the encoding stage into the initial record/capture. My plan would be to use a live/realtime MPEG-2 encoder (firewire or analog out) that would replace the need for iMovie. Unfortunately, I don't know much about live MPEG-2 capture and encoding or if it is even worth using for this production.

Are there any low-cost (< $500), software or hardware based applications available?
Is there a better, more efficient way of accomplishing this? maybe with a stand-alone dvd recorder?
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #1091
Regular Crew

FCP4: Cross Dissolves and Audio

In FCP4, how do you set cross dissolve to a "default" time setting, so i don't have to keep changing the time i want?
(I've been using 00:00:00;15, i belive, nice and quick)

Also, in Audio Mixer, how can you change all the audio of all (or most) of your clips so you can lower or raise them to a desired level, without have to do it clip, by clip?
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #1092
Regular Crew

Inserting clip w/ FCP

What's the easiest option for sandwiching a clip between two clips on the timeline without overwriting the clips?
Old August 7th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #1093
Regular Crew

Nevermind, I already figured it out - FCP beginner here...
Old August 7th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #1094
Regular Crew

Open the Dissolve folder in the Video Transitions folder.
Copy the Cross Dissolve transition to the Favorites folder.
Open the Favorites folder.
Change the name of the cross dissolve copy to something you like.
Double click on the Length value and change the length of the transition to :15.
Put the cursor over the name of your new 15 frame cross dissolve.
Hold down the control key as you click on the name.
Select "Set Default Transition" from the popup.
Mike Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #1095
Regular Crew

help me please

Ok heres the deal.
I just shot a 50th birthday party on a gl2 and an xl1s. Now i am going to capture the tapes to my powerbook (final cut pro hd). so i am trying to capture from my gl2 to my computer, but when i go under the capture mode on final cut and it seems to capture fine for about 5 seconds, then it just stops, and on the lcd on the gl2 i get a pause triangle logo in the corner, it looks like the logo you get in the top right corner when you pause your tape in vcr mode, but it is reversed with the pause logo then the triangle. anyways if anyone can help me so that i can capture the tape that would be great, thank you.

alex

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite