NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 24th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #1336
Major Player

Just for the sake of future problems in this area... I can second Stephen's solution of reinstalling to 10.3.4. Everything went together without any problems and seems to be working great.
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #1337
Regular Crew

cool thanks, a friend of mine had the Lynda.com DVD for FCP and it's actually quite good.... ....looks as if FCP is quite alot like Avid and Premiere Pro, although I like the layout much better then Avid.
Old September 26th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #1338
Regular Crew

Stereo to mono

Grr, can't figure this out. I was recording an interview w/ a wireless mic to the left channel, but nothing to the right. I needed to dump the footage fast so i could take it home, b/c all the decks and cams were checked out for the weekend. I dumped it into imovie, and it captured the stereo pair, but with nothing on the right channel. i popped it open in FCP, and now I can't figure out how to separate the two channels so that I can get rid of the right channel.
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #1339
Wrangler

Select the tracks in the timeline, then Modify > Link which will separate the audio from the video tracks. Now select the audio tracks and Modify > Stereo Pair. Now you can select the unwanted right channel and hit the delete key to remove it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #1340
Regular Crew

Also just a reminder for future users to not panic when they do this and hit 'play'. You need to go to each one of the clips and change the balance from -1 or 1 to 0 for it to go back to stereo.
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #1341
Major Player

Another suggestion is when you have clips with only one channel of audio, target just one track in the timeline before you insert the clip. By default 2 tracks are targeted when making a new sequence.
Old September 27th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #1342
Major Player

Sudden general error...

I'm working for 2 years now with FCP (4 nowadays) without having any major problems. Until today!

While trying to capture I get this strange and annoying GENERAL ERROR, which makes it impossible to capture my new footage.

I'm capturing on an external Firewire 800 250 gig harddisk. Mac is an dual 1,25 G4. Worked and captured on it without any problems for months. Did not adjusted or modificated some settings ; touched nothing.

How bizarre! Quit a problem for me now!

Uncontrollable device, Pal, Pal basic ; tried everything. Help!
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #1343
Regular Crew

Can't install FCP 4.5 HD upgrade

I currently have FCP 4 running on a Dual 2 GHz G5 w/2.5 gigs of RAM. I just completed the upgrade from OS 10.2.8 to OS 10.3.2.

I have downloaded the FCP 4.5 HD upgrade and am attempting to install it but I get an error message stating that it can't be installed and that I must make sure that my FCP 4 software is located in the Applications Folder and is called "Final Cut Pro".

I have checked - FCP 4 is located in the applications folder in a folder called "Final Cut Pro 4" I tried to install it 5 times. I even changed the name of the folder to "Final Cut Pro", but continue to get the same error message.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #1344
Regular Crew

I'll put a plug for the 38+ Final Cut Pro Quick Tips I have over at my site.

Cheers
Old September 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #1345
Major Player

Have you tried capturing to your internal hard drive? Have you tried capturing old footage again? This just might help narrow down whether FCP is having problems, if it is FireWire or maybe that particular tape...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #1346
Warden

What OS, what version of QT, how much free space on FW drive, have you trashed the FCP preferences, have you repaired permissions, what format is the FW drive formatted?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #1347
Warden

Trash the FCP preferences, repair permissions, update to 10.3.4

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #1348
New Boot

Master & Slave

Ok here's my situation. I have a G4 and a G5. I know how to make the G4 be the slave by using firewire so I can move files over to the G5. It works by showing the Macintosh hard drive of the G4 on the G5, but I want to know how to get it show the second drive of the G4 on the G5. Please help!
Matt Brouwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #1349
Regular Crew

Thanks - will do ASAP
Paul Lohbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1350
Major Player

Wouldn't it just be easier to hook the two up via an ethernet cable and use appleshare to do both drives on the G4 at once? At gigabit speeds this should be comparable to FireWire I would think...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite