NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:23 PM   #1366
Warden

What does the camera show on it's LCD screen?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:13 AM   #1367
New Boot

FCP 4 or Prod. Suite upgrade

I just ordered my new dual 1.8 ghz powermac, and I have FCP 3 on a student license. How much does it cost to upgrade to the educational version of FCP 4. Also, can you upgrade to the production suite from FCP 3? If so, how much would it cost for the educational version. I tried looking at Apple's website, but it only told me how much it costs to upgrade to the non student versions of production suite and FCP 4. Thanks.
Greg Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #1368
Warden

You have to contact Apple Care for the upgrade price. I'm not sure their is an Education upgrade from FCP 3 to FCP HD. A new version of FCP is due soon, so you may want to wait to upgrade unless you have an immediate need to do so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM   #1369
Major Player

Problem with rendering titles in FCP 4

Hello, all. I've been putting subtitles in FCP4 on a feature I'm working on. I'm using the Text effect under Text Generator in FCP, not LiveType. For the first 15 minutes of footage I had no problems just typing in a subtitle and dragging it onto the timeline, and nothing required rendering. But all of a sudden, every time I add another text clip, it has a red bar over it. I have no idea why, since I've been doing this for a couple of hours, and nothing needed rendering before now.

Just as a test, I started a new sequence with no video clips on it, and even there the text needed rendering.

I'm running this on a Dual 2 GHz G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM, so it's not that the machine is slow. And I'm not doing any super-complicated effects or compositing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM   #1370
Warden

Did you change size, color, outline or anything about the subtitle?

Old October 3rd, 2004, 05:59 PM   #1371
Major Player

The EDU price for the Production Suite (full versions of apps) is $499. That's a steal.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:01 PM   #1372
Warden

I don't think there is an upgrade price from the Education version of FCP 3 to Production Suite (Education version).

Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM   #1373
Major Player

I don't know about FCP but, on the AVID MC Adrenaline they work fine and they are awesome!

RB
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:01 PM   #1374
New Boot

When you say the screen was blue, do you mean the camera screen or your monitor on the Mac?
Leon Ortiz-Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:00 PM   #1375
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Did you change size, color, outline or anything about the subtitle? -->>>

I changed nothing. Everything is exactly as it was for the last few hours. In fact, I even copied one of the titles that was fine and pasted it at the end of the same timeline, and it said it needed rendering. I've tried switching from Safe to Unlimited RT, and still everything I type now needs rendering.

Is it possible that there's a limit to how many text clips I can use before the machine can't handle it anymore in real time? They're simple white letters, no drop shadow, no movement, that appear and disappear (without a fade) on top of footage. Subtitles.

On a side note... Would I be better off trying to do subtitles in LiveType? I would think it's more complicated switching between the two, but maybe there's a more streamlined way of doing this. Thoughts?
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM   #1376
New Boot

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate the answers.
Greg Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:59 AM   #1377
Regular Crew

exporting to a minidv tape????!!!! HELP URGENT

I am using FCP 4 and when I go to export to video, and run my sequence it plays on my agdvx100 when in VCR mode but there is no way for me to record it onto the minidv tape.....or am I missing something? How do I get my movie out of fcp4 and on to a minidv tape using an AGDVX100, I only have till 4 to figure it out for the 48 hour film fest...please help.
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #1378
Regular Crew

EXPORTING TO VIDEO!!! URGENT!!! need help please

I am using FCP 4 and when I go to export to video, and run my sequence it plays on my agdvx100 when in VCR mode but there is no way for me to record it onto the minidv tape.....or am I missing something? How do I get my movie out of fcp4 and on to a minidv tape using an AGDVX100, I only have till 4 to figure it out for the 48 hour film fest...please help.
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #1379
Regular Crew

I would not use LiveType for subtitles....Title3D would be a better option for what you are trying to do.

What may be a problem is if the clips you are applying the text to has been color corrected, or had any motion effect, or regular effect applied to it (even dissolves). This will cause you to have to rerender your clips.

While you are putting everything into the timeline, you can certainly lower the quality of your video in the Render settings, that may get you back to green and allow you to play your Timeline in the computer. You may also want to turn off External video while you are doing this (unless you have a client).

Before you export to tape you will need to render your entire bit.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #1380
Inner Circle

File --> print to video is one.

Or to go to tools --> edit to tape and do an assemble edit by dragging your sequence from the bin area into the window.

Or play from the timeline and hit record on your camera. This should be a last resort thing in case you get dropped frames or sync issues or whatever.

Before exporting to tape:
check that ins and outs are at the right point. at the out point, you may wish to nudge it a frame back because FCP includes an extra frame.

un-write protect the tape. make sure you don't record over useful stuff.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite