NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 94 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #1396
Warden

Here is the list of files to delete if you want to uninstall FCP. Check this post at the top of the Mac forum.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #1397
Regular Crew

Rotating Video in FCP

How can I rotate a video clip 90 or 180 degrees in FCP?
Old October 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #1398
Wrangler

1. Select Image+Wireframe in the [ ] drop down menu in the Viewer.

2. Set the view to 50% from the drop down menu such that you can see a gray border around the image.

3. Point the cursor to the center of any of the image edges; it turns to a rotate symbol.

4. Drag to the desired angle, hold shift to constrain to 45 degree increments.

Alternate technique:

1. Click on the Motion tab of the Viewer

2. Either use the compass dial to rotate with the mouse, or enter an angle in the numeric field.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #1399
Major Player

you can also use the dial in the motions tab to rotate the video more then once around, as many times as you want. just select a number in some multiple of 180 or 360 or just some high number that will spin it long enough for your clip.

If you use a multiple of 360 you can control exactly how many times it will rotate though and you can be assured it will end in the right position.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #1400
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. That's two now.
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #1401
Regular Crew

FCP playing different video than what's on the timeline

Here's an interesting phenomenon that I've resolved, but it's annoying nonetheless.

On my timeline I have three shots, A B C.
All of them have render files associated with them (say titles).
I render them and the sequence ABC plays fine.
Then I decide to trim 4 frames from the tail of each.
I re-render and hit play. A starts to play fine, but then it begins playing part of B, then begins playing the beginning of A again, then B again (all the while the playhead is moving along normally). When it gets to C it starts to play it normally, but then begins playing part of D (sorry, let's assume there's a D too.)

This is extremely frustrating because there is nothing wrong with the way your timeline is edited. But even if you just park the playhead over the end of A, you'll see part of B where it shouldn't be.

What's happened is the render files have been nudged out of place by the trimming and were not corrected during re-rendering.

The solution is to go into your render files folder and drag them all to the trash (and empty it), go back into your project and re-render the whole thing.

Seems like a bug in the program, not a RAM or processor problem.
Jonathan Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #1402
New Boot

Shake...anyone

Does anyone in the forum use Shake, and if so do they have any suggestions on the best way to get a good introduction to it?
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #1403
Regular Crew

yeah, check out the apple pro series training book on it

shake doesn't have an "apple interface" so thats why its kind of confusing at first but once you know the principles of how it works, its as easy as final cut
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #1404
Regular Crew

I'm surprised FCP didn't tell you to rerender after you made those trims. That is usually what happens. I can not replicate this on my system. Any time I make a change (trim, extend, change the order) of a rendered clip in my timeline, I always have to rerender.

Cheers
Stephen Schleicher
www.mindspring.com/~schleicher
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #1405
Warden

What version of FCP are you using Jonathan? Anything else you can tell us about your system would be beneficial as well.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #1406

still images in fcp

i have some still images that will be used in an fcp timeline and exported to dvd for playback on a big screen tv. in photoshop should i scaled down the size of the images to 720x480 or leave them at the 5000xwhatever size that they are in now?

thanks
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #1407
Warden

Hi Jerry, this topic has been covered before. Try searching FCP and Photoshop to get some additional thoughts and tips. Here is a good tutorial from the good folks at LAFCPUG. While you're at their site you might want to browse through their numerous tutorials on FCP.

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #1408
Trustee

Question for Mac users

Hi all,

I'm trying to edit on FCP with another person watching who's not at my place. I'd like him to be able to see my desktop while I work. Is there a freeware program that let's you watch someone's desktop in real time? We don't need to be able to edit remotely or anything...just view each others desktop.

Thank you!!!

Murph
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #1409
Inner Circle

The are various variants of VNC out there. It lets other people see and control your desktop kind of like they were sitting in front of the computer. However, you will be seriously limited by bandwidth on broadband. Full motion video is not going to look very good through VNC (very low frame rate).

I believe there is a mac version of VNC... I vaguely remember using it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #1410
Inner Circle

Maybe an alternative is to hook up your Mac to a PC so the PC can use Windows Media Encoder (free). WME is good at compressing video and it will only have to compress video, not the entire Mac desktop.

You *might* be able to hook your Mac up to a PC with a firewire cable if you can set both sides to have no deck control.

A setup that would work is:
Mac with FCP set to show video out through firewire
Camcorder/deck, hook up to TV/monitor for you
Another analog output ultimately goes to FCP.
You can have another camcorder/deck or a video capture card to capture the analog signal for WME.

This way your friend can watch the stream of the video that your camcorder/deck sees. They however will not be able to see material in the viewer.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite