NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 95 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #1411
Regular Crew

If you have iSight, that might work. Although, I have seen posts that indicate issues with using iSight and FC together with a video camera hooked up via firewire (possible bandwidth issues using two firewire devices at the same time). Would need to search for it to confirm.

cheers,
Peter
Peter TK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #1412
Warden

How important is FCP performance while your mirroring the FCP interface? Does the mirroring need to to be in full resolution, 30FPS, full color etc?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #1413
Tourist

Monitor Through DVMC-DV2

Anyone use this analog adapter to view external monitor when editing on FCP 4?
I know they're "talking to each other" at least in some way because I am able to use the converter to take VHS to FCP but can't get the signal out so that I can view my timeline on the monitor/TV.
Thanks in advance,
GM
George Maranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:55 AM   #1414
Regular Crew

2 Questions on Bias Peak DV 3

Although I have read the PDF manuals of Peak DV 3, I can't seem to fully understand what the "Dual Mono" feature exactly does. Is it that it allows you to import an audio file that is mono (one track), turn it into two identical tracks and then exported as a stereo file?

My second question is this: I have an audio file which consists of two mono, 16-bit tracks and need to have those tracks separated. Is there a way to have this done in Peak DV? How?

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #1415
Warden

Dual mono is a single track, mono recording edited to two tracks (Dual). It is not stereo because it is only a mono recording. But it is placed on two separate channels so audio is heard out of the left and right speakers. If the tracks are mono they are separate, so I don't quite understand the second question.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #1416
Regular Crew

Jeff, thank you for replying.

Let me try to rephrase my second question. I shot some footage with a pd150 and now am editing it on iMovie. Now, I recorded sound on both the left and the right channels. However, when I uploaded the footage on iMovie (v.2), both channels were imported on a single track because iMovie cannot import the two channels as separate tracks. So now I am wondering if I could import/open these single tracks on Peak DV and have it separated into two tracks, one for the left and one for the right channel. Am I making any sense?

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #1417
Regular Crew

Sound effect question

Does anyone know a way to export a sound effect from imovie to fcp?

Thanks
Joe
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #1418
Warden

Can't you do it via the Share (export) function?

Old October 14th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #1419
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, No, I had't thought of that. I gave it a try, but it seems that I've never opened a "mail" account on my mac. (I mostly use it just or the editing and only recently went online with it.) But once I get the mail account sorted you suggestion should work.

Thanks again
Joe
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #1420
Warden

That wasn't what I had in mind Joe, let me be more specific. Go TO File>Share>Quicktime Tab>Expert Settings in Drop Down>Click Share Button>Pick a destination and select Sound to AIFF in Export Drop Down>Click Options Button>Set your audio settings to the bit depth and compression desired. Click OK and Click Save.

Old October 14th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1421
Tourist

mac and education

Hi all,

I've got some questions about education hardware and software from mac...

To start off - Yes, I am being pedantic, I do want to do the right thing - not just what I can get away with.

i called our apple help desk 133 MAC (Australia) and asked about restrictions on using education hardware software/hardware..
the answers i got concentrated on what i could get away with, rather what is actually right. not helpful.

It would seem, by my reading of the terms and conditions...

besides being a student, I must be "purchasing Product for your own personal, education and/or research use"

Q1) If I do PURCHASE the hardware/software for academic duties, and also use it for commercial projects (whether that be wesite design, financial spreadsheets for the business etc) is that infringing on the terms and conditions?

( i understand guilty mind, guilt act...but if i have no guilty mind, is the act of using it for commercial use AT ALL, an infringement?)

(on that note, I'd suspect that these limitations can't actually be enforced as its restraint of trade (in aus) but - if I'm going to buy something udner an agreement - i want to abide by it...)

Q2) what happens when I finish being a student - do the limitations change?

Q3) -Do the licenses that comes with mac software/hardware place additional restrictions on the user beyond the terms and conditions on the site (ie: I know microsoft software academic licenses (the ones I've read) state that the USER of the software must be a student/teach etc)

any advice on this area in general and experience y'all have in the area would be greatly appriciated..
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #1422
Regular Crew

I asked my Mac shop a few days ago a similar question. They said something about upgrading to full versions once you are no longer a student and want to start earning money from your software
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #1423
Regular Crew

Alan is right check out the Apple Pro book, as far what I have done
in Shake. I love it. To bad I never had time to finish the book and do more
Projects.

It's very powerful tool, what are you planning on doing and how high end?

Cause if it’s simply Compositing you might want to take a look in to Motion.
It's only 300 bucks.

Shaggy
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #1424
Warden

I'm not sure the same restrictions apply in the US that apply in Australia and vice versa. The restrictions on the hardware in the US are limited to being a student or a family member of a student. The software license prohibits commercial (read make money) use and requires an upgrade to the full license when you're no longer a student.

Old October 15th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #1425
New Boot

Well I am currently learning After Effects and I already have Shake on my computer so I figure it would be a waste not to learn both of them. It just seems the resources for learning Shake are few in comparison to AE but from what I read Shake is pretty amazing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite