NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #1426
Major Player

The license is the only thing different as well. The EDU and non EDU versions are the same software.
Old October 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #1427
Regular Crew

DVMC-DA2?

I use one for monitoring. I feed it the firewire, then S-video and Audio go to a JVC-HR-S5901 VHS, then from there the video heads to an NTSC monitor (OK it's really a little 9" TV) and the audio to my main audio monitors.

When sending the video/audio OUT of the computer to the VHS/monitor, the "DV In" switch must be selected on the DA2.

When feeding VHS IN to the Computer, select "Analog in" and hold the switch till the light changes so that you get 16bit/48KHz audio.
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #1428
Regular Crew

I had the same problem recently, I think. I recorded two separate non-stereo audio tracks, a background and a dialog, then forgot to import them as separate tracks.
Peak DV does not provide this feature directly.

Select all, then copy from the stereodocument, create a new mono document, then paste. It gives you a dialog to adjust the pan at that point. Do this twice with 100% pan one time and -100% pan the second.
Hope that works.
Old October 17th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #1429
Regular Crew

DVX100A squeeze mode in FCP

Hi,

I was hoping someone might give us some advice about digitizing footage shot on a PAL DVX100A camera in 16:9 SQUEEZE mode. We have FCP 3. Is it possible to achieve this with this version, or do we need version 4?

Many thanks in advance.
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #1430
RED Problem Solver

Should not be a problem. Just use the anamorphic setting for capture and timeline.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #1431
New Boot

Timecode to DVD

Is it possible to burn media with timecode?

When archiving media from FCP, is there a way to burn the timecode to dvd.
Steven H. Denn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #1432
Regular Crew

If you mean burn a timecode overlay, yes, this is supported in Final Cut Pro. It is an effect found under Effects > Video Filters > Video and in FCP 4.5 you have the option of Timecode Reader or Timecode Generator. Check the manual for definitions to determine which one you want.

If you mean you want a specific timecode embedded with the video file, this is supported with Apple's QuickTime 6.5 MPeg Encoder. It allows you to set the timecode for the first frame, and use NTSC Drop Frame or Non-Drop Frame standard. This is most often set to match the timecode of the original video, ensuring that any timecode-based lists you have, such as a chapter list, marker positioning file, or subtitle file, match the encoded video.

Hope this has helped.
Duane Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #1433
Regular Crew

Importing 16:9 stretch into and out of FCEx

Hi everyone,
I recently discovered that my schools' canon ZR70's can shoot 16:9 stretch. I imported the "stretched" footage into final cut express as NTSC-DV ANAMOPRPHIC.... I then edited the footage and exported it as a 4:3 MPEG-2 as well as a 16:9 MPEG-2 file. I imported both files into DVDSP2 (that may be a topic for another thread) and (after creating a DVD) I would like the footage to appear letterboxed on a 4:3 TV and true 16:9 on a widescreen. DVDSP2 has a number of different ways to show the images........"Letterboxed", "Pan & Scan" (I have no clue as to what the term pan & scan means). There is also the option of "Letterboxed-Pan & Scan". I apologize for asking what may be a very elementary question to most of you but: What is the proper procedure for achieving a letterboxed effect on a 4:3 TV and a true 16:9 on a widescreen TV? I don't own a widescreen TV but there are imacs with 20" widescreens available at school that I can view the footage on. Thanks in advance.
Doug
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #1434
Wrangler

Hi Doug,

You might find the following thread helpful: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=27748

I don't use DVDSP2, but I don't think you will need to do anything special if you edit your project as anamorphic 16:9 in FCE and create an anamorphic DVD. DVD players have a system menu option whereby you tell them what sort of TV they're connected to. This defaults to 4:3 unless the user changes it to 16:9. When you play an anamorphic 16:9 DVD on a 4:3 TV, the DVD player itself will provide the letterbox. On a widescreen TV the DVD will fill the screen at full resolution, provided the user has properly configured his DVD player.

Pan and Scan is the technique used to produce "full screen" versions of theatrical movies for 4:3 TV sets. The 4:3 frame is "panned" across the widescreen movie as needed in an attempt to get the important details into the picture. I'm not sure, but there may be some facility for doing this manually when creating a pan and scan DVD. However in most cases when you select this option it will just chop off the sides of the 16:9 image such that it fills a 4:3 screen.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #1435
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd,
Thank you very much for all the information you've shared with me. Thanks also for defining the term "pan & scan".

I apologize for not being clear with my questions in my previous post.

I shoud've phrased the questions this way........If I want the finished DVD to play letterboxed on a 4:3 TV and full screen on a 16:9 TV:

1) Is the "NTSC DV-ANAMORPHIC" setting on FCExpress the correct way to import the stretch footage from the camera?

2) Should I export from FCExpress to MPEG-2 using the 4:3 or 16:9 format setting?

3) Should I build the DVD in DVDSP2 using the 4:3 or 16:9 format setting included in the DVDSP2 software?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again Boyd.
Doug "the rookie" Fearman
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #1436
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd,
I went to the thread address you posted. I think I'll start to understand this eventually. Thank you for all of your help.
Sincerely,
Doug
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1437
Major Player

BLUE/GREEN SCREEN WITH FCP4.5 ?'s

Hello,
I've got a cam, a screenplay, some actors, a set, a G-5, some lights, and FCP. I've done quite a bit of imovie editing, but I am a total neophyte when it comes to FCP. The short I would like to shoot requires a simple green screen effect. The piece has a video screen in it, and I need to be able to control the content on that screen. I'm just geting started with teaching myself FCP and I want to know if a simple effect like this is possible without the purchase of additional software, because what I would like to do is shoot the short and learn FCP while cutting it.
Advice and insights would be most welcome.

Thanks,
MG
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #1438
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, sorry I misunderstood. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #1439
Regular Crew

Transitions are changing

Call me crazy, but I could have sworn that a few of my default cross dissolves have somehow switched to fade-in-fade-outs. Has this ever happened to anybody?
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #1440
Major Player

you can change what your default transition is... perhaps you did this by accident.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite