Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #1456
Inner Circle

Post Production Monitors

Hi gang (figuretively speaking)

I am looking for an affordable monitor solution. Can I get away with just the 4 or 5 hundered buck monitors that B&H offers?
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #1457
Warden

What type of work do you do?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #1458
Major Player

artifacts in Mini DV

I am digitizing from a MiniDV tape for the first time.
in to my dsr-45 componet video thru the kona SD into fcp 4.5
it looks terrible. artifacting and jumpy and every other thing you dont want.
what is up?
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #1459
Inner Circle

I do weddings and special occasion video mostly. At this time a post production monitor is what I need more.
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #1460
Wrangler

Sorry, maybe I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Why are you sending DV through component and then digitizing again with the kona? Why not just use firewire (i.Link) directly into the computer? This would transfer the data directly without any loss. It appears you are now performing digital>analog>digital conversion which one might expect to create problems. But I don't have either a DSR-45 or a Kona SD card, so maybe there's some reason for doing it your way?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:09 AM   #1461

Can someone answer this Peak Express 3.3 for OS X question?

I've got FCP HD on a Mac G5 with dual 2 gig processors. When I import things into Peak Express, I just get a massive peaked audio noise signal upon playback. I assuming I'm doing something wrong. How do I import .wav files, etc. and work with them. I assume Peak Express is Apple's answer to Sound Forge?

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:15 AM   #1462
Major Player

because its easier to put it in the deck that to crawl under the desk and find the firewire input.
plus, i've never done it that way before.does FCP have top be open to see it?
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:24 AM   #1463
Regular Crew

Connect your deck or camera via firewire to your Final Cut Pro system. You may have to go under one of the menus to set the configuration to use firewire instead of the Kona card, but the results will be worth it.

Digital is Digital is Digital you wont notice any loss from the original quality.

Cheers
Stephen Schleicher
www.mindspring.com/~schleicher
home of the Final Cut Pro Quick Tip series.
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:31 AM   #1464
Major Player

Thank you.
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:10 PM   #1465
Regular Crew

erasing black bars on sides from my GL1

Here's my dilmma,
I shot a video on my canon GL1. Now, as many of you know, it puts these weird black bars on each side of the frame. Well, I shot the thing on a green screen and am pasting the cut out image on a new frame that is 16:9 format. The problem I'm having is that it still continues to put those stupid black bars on either side of the image. I've tried to garbage matte them out, but haven't had any luck. Any idea what I can do to get those damn things to go away?
-Kyle
Kyle De Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:12 PM   #1466
Regular Crew

HA!... never mind, I figured it out. This is gonna be cool!
-Kyle
Kyle De Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:18 AM   #1467
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

you don't need to ChromaKey it. Just crop and/or resize the video you want to play on the video screen and then use distort in the Browser window in FCP to place the corners of this video onto the your movie "video screen"

does this make sense?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM   #1468

Warning: Do Not Delete Old "edl" Files In Garage Band

Just lost a week worth of vocals inside of Macintosh's Garage Band software program, and here's why . . .

So I record the vocals in song A, and then I save another copy as B. Eventually, I work on B so much that it's now better than the original A. So I decide to delete the song A. When I do, I find out that any of the vocals I recordeed in A that I also used for B are now erased.

That's like copying a paragraph out of a word document, pasting it into another document, revising the entire thing in the second document, and then losing your finished product because you deleted the first document that you no longer need.

I really hope someone at Mac gets fired over that line of programming some day. The stumbling blocks we deal with as film makers!!!!!!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:18 AM   #1469
Warden

Garage Band is a "free" application for many (most?) Mac users, as it comes bundled with the other iLife products. iMovie behaves in a similar fashion. These applications are not meant for professional use, but rather the home hobbyist. Consider Apple's professional program, Soundtrack, for your professional needs.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:21 AM   #1470
Major Player

Yes,
Thanks!
Micahel
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite