Euphonix mc control for FCP7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Doh! When I unwrapped the new MC Transport and plugged it in sizzled.
Completely DOA! Luckily it's on its way back to B&H in NYC.

When I called Euphonix service, they didn't even have the unit stocked yet... it's that new.
So they didn't offer any other ideas...

Lets hope #2 likes A/C.

It's been a bad month, first my MXO2 and now a brand new MC Transport.

-C
I received one of the first MC Transports out there, works just fine, but I did have the opportunity to call support to ask a question in re STP and they informed me that they had not yet seen one.
BTW, Sweetwater Sound, Ind. (sweetwater.com) stocks the MC Control and Transport, which is where my MC Transport shipped from.

Just as a side bar, I noticed that the height adjusters that snap onto either of the units (MC Control and or MC Transport) do not sufficiently raise the rear end such that the screen is clearly visible. Placing a 1 1/2 to 2" wide by 1 1/8-1/4" piece of wood beneath the rear support legs seems to do the trick for me.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
Firmware Nightmare

Ron, Can you verify your firmware version for your Transport?
It won't let me update past 1.0.3 which is incompatible with FCP 7 & Jog/Shuttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Euphonix mc control for FCP7-picture-6.png  
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
Ron, Can you verify your firmware version for your Transport?
It won't let me update past 1.0.3 which is incompatible with FCP 7 & Jog/Shuttle.
Hi Christopher:

I will indeed check the firmware version for you when I get back into the video editing suite later on today.

I am certain that you are already aware, but if not, the MC Tranport's extreme left soft button must be depressed for the Jog/Shuttle to work in FCP 7, STP or Logic 9.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
Hello Christopher;

The firmware for the MC Transport is 1.0.3.

I neglected to mention one very important point in re FCP 7 and the MC Transport or MC Control, and that relates to the fact that in order for the Jog/Shuttle of either of these devices to function the MIXER WINDOW for FCP 7 must be open. It can be minimized but it must be open!

If you've done all that and have latched the leftmost soft button on the Transport and it still does not work, then I would call Euphonix support. They are available on weekends and have been very accommodating.

P.S. the above assumes that you have installed the latest software, 2.0.3.6... from the Euphonix web site.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Hello Christopher;

The firmware for the MC Transport is 1.0.3.

I neglected to mention one very important point in re FCP 7 and the MC Transport or MC Control, and that relates to the fact that in order for the Jog/Shuttle of either of these devices to function the MIXER WINDOW for FCP 7 must be open. It can be minimized but it must be open!

If you've done all that and have latched the leftmost soft button on the Transport and it still does not work, then I would call Euphonix support. They are available on weekends and have been very accommodating.

P.S. the above assumes that you have installed the latest software, 2.0.3.6... from the Euphonix web site.
Ron- You've really helped me. I was on the phone with Euphonix support for two hours yesterday. The tech told me that the reason my transport wasn't working with FCP was because of my firmware version. He claimed on his transport it has 1.1.9 firmware.

Needless to say, after following your advice and opening the mixer, my Transport now can shuttle and jog through the sequence. Although, the timecode doesn't see to be working. It just displays 00:00:00:00 while going through the sequence. Any tricks to get timecode to display?

Thanks for allowing me not to chase my own shadow on my Saturday.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
Hi C:

Glad I could be of assistance.

I made the same discovery, in regards to the time code. While it works fine in Logic 9, I have been told that FCP and STP are not yet set up to do so. I guess that Apple hasn't inserted the proper hooks to the Eucon software. Hopefully, that will be included in a future FCP update.

BTW: I suspect that the firmware version mentioned by tech support is for the MC Control, not the Transport.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 706
bummer on the bad unit

I've been looking at this device for FCP and other apps. The $1500 model isn't a bad deal. The OLED touchscreen is suppose to be quite good. I've read complaints about it loosing connection. I look forward to your reports.

The company that makes this is high-end in audio boards, so they should know what they're doing.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #23
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
bummer on the bad unit

I've been looking at this device for FCP and other apps. The $1500 model isn't a bad deal. The OLED touchscreen is suppose to be quite good. I've read complaints about it loosing connection. I look forward to your reports.

The company that makes this is high-end in audio boards, so they should know what they're doing.
If there have been reports of "loss of communication," I would suspect that it might be related to the Mackie, HUI or other protocols, however, the native EUCON connections with FCP 7 and Logic 9 have been rock solid with no loss of communication and no delays whatsoever, in fact, the connection is transparent. The touch screen on the MC Control is, as you indicated, quite good and reliable with EUCON.
As for the non-Eucon native, Mackie protocol, I have programmed the MC Control to interface with the Cs4 version of Aftereffects and have not experienced any loss of communication. Perhaps the reliability is a function of the latest software/firmware and the reports that you have encountered were related to older versions?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
I've heard horror stories about people taking these Euphonix devices to PAL land (220v) and having a terrible flicker problem. However, this could have been addressed with firmware updates...

My Eucon Crashes once a day... Mostly from unplugging the network cable. Its cheesy that it just crashes like that - they need to fix that. Also, any idea if you need to use this crossover cable they give you... Nobody I know uses crossover RJ-45 anymore but they must have had a reason for it...

Interesting enough Ron, I actually got timecode working in FCP 6.0.6 via MackieControl in the Euphonix Prefs Panel. This is a FCP 7 problem only.

I'm tempted to test FCP 7 via MackieControl and bypass its native Euphonix support - heck, I may even get timecode out of the deal...

Needless to say, this is a VERY new product (the transport) and indeed, it hasn't been put through the ranks yet. Although, I've found the device to be more responsive than midi controllers and hope to see added support / features in future FCP updates.

I tried using the device with Propellerheads Reason 4.0 and the transport doesn't work, just the softkeys. So, support for these things are a work in progress.

Are you happy with your MC Control aside from the dinky shuttle wheel?
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 706
If they provide a crossover cable I believe they want you to plug it directly into the mac. I'm not sure what you mean when you say people don't use these anymore?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
I do not have an answer for the crossover question but I am using them via an ethernet switch and I have not encountered any issues.

Yes, I am happy with the MC Control but as you suggested, the jog/shuttle wheel is of poor design, perhaps an afterthought, and it is for that reason that I purchased the MC Transport. The only issue I have with the unit is the available angle of elevation which makes the screen difficult to read unless you are looming directly from above. However, I fashioned a 2" wide by 1 1/8" high piece of wood, 29" long, and placed it beneath the rear legs of the snap-on supports across both units and that seems to have done the trick.

I have no experience with the unit in concert with FCP 6, since I had already upgraded to version 7 by the time I had received the MC Control and, more recently, the Transport. I have the MC Transport and Control running in Mackie mode for CS4 Aftereffects but the time code counter is nonfunctional in that scenario.

As for problems with PAL and 220V, I have no experience nor comments.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say people don't use these anymore?
Any recent network interface card (NIC) will have an auto-detection function, which tells it whether its a crossover cable or straight cable. Back in the day, a crossover cable was one of the only ways to connect directly from computer to computer without the use of a HUB/SWITCH or ROUTER.

I guess I thought it was an interesting choice but I assume the NIC inside the Euphonix devices have auto-detection.

I'll see if I can get timecode with FCP7 & Mackie Control tonight.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #28
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 628
Unfortunately, setting the devices up like you have to in FCP 6.0.6 didn't add timecode in FCP 7. Bummer, looks like we'll have to wait for an update from Euphonix.

I've attached a screenshot to show how I had it set in Euphonix Prefs.

-C
Attached Thumbnails
Euphonix mc control for FCP7-picture-9.png  
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #29
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,940
I have had an MC control for a month now and I am on OSX 10.5.8 with Eu control v2-1.0.3 and the latest firmware.

I have to say it just does not work with FCP V7 and it is very buggy and loses connection all the time, it is actually totally unuseable. I have it plugged straight into the back of my ii-mac using the provided cable.

I appreciate that I should be on 10.5.7 but its the same old story of kit being released and the drivers not being available. I have tried going back an osx level but my mac will not allow this so it will sit there collecting dust till the next update.

Also when I switch it on only some of the LED's light up is this correct I would have thought that a start boot would light all of them to show they have been reset?
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #30
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Parkland Florida
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
I have had an MC control for a month now and I am on OSX 10.5.8 with Eu control v2-1.0.3 and the latest firmware.

I have to say it just does not work with FCP V7 and it is very buggy and loses connection all the time, it is actually totally unuseable. I have it plugged straight into the back of my ii-mac using the provided cable.

I appreciate that I should be on 10.5.7 but its the same old story of kit being released and the drivers not being available. I have tried going back an osx level but my mac will not allow this so it will sit there collecting dust till the next update.

Also when I switch it on only some of the LED's light up is this correct I would have thought that a start boot would light all of them to show they have been reset?
I encountered a similar issue when I upgraded to 10.5.8 but the latest Eucon software for the MC Control and MC Transport solved all my issues with FCP 7 (Mac/Intel 8 core). Did you check to see if the firmware on your MC Control is up-to-date? If it is, try re-installing the the Eucon (2.03) software... I had to do it twice after the 10.5.8 upgrade. If all else fails, give their support a call, they've been very helpful in the past. But, in summary, both my MC Control and MC Transport work as expected, although, as you may have noticed from this thread there are some features that FCP 7 does not yet support.

As for the LEDs not lighting, the last time I bothered to take notice, most of them did light at boot but if I recall correctly, at least one or two on the MC Control two did not, whereas, they all light up on the MC Transport. But if you find that many are not lighting, it might suggest an issue with the firmware, so, check for the latest version on the Eucon software utility.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network