DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Euphonix mc control for FCP7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/246627-euphonix-mc-control-fcp7.html)

Ron Wilk August 6th, 2009 08:19 AM

Euphonix mc control for FCP7

I realize that it may be a tad early to be asking this question but I wonder if anyone has tired the Euphonix MC Control now that FCP7 has adapted the producers protocol?

The Euphonix web site suggests a high degree of functionality for this device from within FCP Studio as well as the potential for programmability for functions other than those that come preprogrammed.

Addendum: Since there have been no rapid responders I will assume that no one has had any experience with the Euphonix, so, I have placed an order for the aforementioned controller and will report back when it arrives and have had the time to try it out...hope it works as advertised since I am growing weary of packing and returning items that have not lived up to the manufacturer's hype.

Christopher Drews August 6th, 2009 12:39 PM

Ouch - it's a thousand bucks.
Did you look at this JLCooper MCS3 SP RS-422/9PIN with VTR-style Jog/Shuttle JLC-MCS3SP-USB - SJ Media Systems ?
Seems more basic but uses USB and has basic transport functions.
-C

Andy Mees August 7th, 2009 02:47 AM

Chris

Mate, these two devices are light years apart in terms of functionality, there is really no comparison!

The JL Cooper device offers no direct integration with FCP's transport controls at all. With regards to FCP its nothing more than a blind/dumb keystroke sending device. It's pretty to look at and may impress a couple of clients if you're lucky ... but its a pig to use, and far less responsive than the JKL keys already under your fingertips.

The Euphonix MC Control on the other hand is a full on control surface, and one who's native control protocol is now directly supported within FCP 7.
Euphonix :: MC Control

If you do want to make a comparison then at least we should compare like with "nearly" like. The 399 USD Euphonix MC Transport is a jog/shuttle controller a la the JL Cooper device ... except as noted, it is a true transport control device with direct hooks into FCP's own transport control. I had a play with one of these a couple of months back (as well as its bigger brother the MC Control) and the jog/shuttle was incredibly smooth to use and very responsive... MUCH much nicer than the built in jog/shuttle on its bigger brother.
Euphonix :: MC Transport

Cheers
Andy

Ron Wilk August 7th, 2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1188703)
Ouch - it's a thousand bucks.
Did you look at this JLCooper MCS3 SP RS-422/9PIN with VTR-style Jog/Shuttle JLC-MCS3SP-USB - SJ Media Systems ?
Seems more basic but uses USB and has basic transport functions.
-C

I agree with Andy's sentiments vis-a-vis the JL Cooper device and similar(i.e. Contour Shuttlepro). While I do not own and have no direct experience with the JL device I do own the ShuttlePro and although it is programmable and works with a variety of software packages it, as Andy notes, does not offer native support for FCP, furthermore, while it sports a host of programmable buttons, it is difficult, at least for me, to recall what the buttons have been programmed for when moving from one program to another...in essence, with the exception of the jog/shuttle wheel, it is more of pain than an asset.

Hopefully the Euphonix, which should arrive this morning, will negate the downside of the aforementioned devices and add to the editing process. I am aware of the difference between the jog/shuttle wheels on the MC and its little brother and depending upon my upcoming assessment may consider adding it to the editing suite, that is, desk real estate permitting.

P.S. in regards to your "OUCH," it is actually a bit more in cost, to be exact, $1349.95 B&H current sales price.

Ron Wilk August 7th, 2009 03:46 PM

The Euphonix MC Control is currently online and...it works! The manual, unfortunately, leaves much to be desired but technical support is excellent and very responsive via telephone.

I have not had enough time to really put it through its paces but it is very responsive and will undoubtedly prove to be an asset for FCP, SoundTrack Pro and Motion. I can see that there will be bit of a learning curve requiring a degree of experimentation but that is to be expected and clearly worth the effort.

Not sure that the MC transport will be needed, as the jog/shuttle wheel works reasonably well on the MC Control, however, that is a decision that will be arrived at following a reasonable interval of use.

Lou Trottier August 9th, 2009 09:02 AM

HI Ron, i have had a MC control for about a year now and use it with FCP 6. It does have a few bugs but otherwise is a fantastic controller. I bought it for use with Logic but it fits in well with FCP. They really are superior devices compared to other controllers.

Ron Wilk August 9th, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Trottier (Post 1200626)
HI Ron, i have had a MC control for about a year now and use it with FCP 6. It does have a few bugs but otherwise is a fantastic controller. I bought it for use with Logic but it fits in well with FCP. They really are superior devices compared to other controllers.

Hi Lou:
I agree, I am enjoying the device and now that FCP 7 provides native support for the unit its usefulness has increased.
Specifically, what is the nature of the "bugs" that you referring to? So far, although I've hardly scratched the surface, I haven't encountered any. I've even programmed some of the soft keys for use in Adobe CS4 Aftereffects, however, the transport controls are non-functional in this program with the current device specific software.
My only complaint relates to the position of the LCD screen, which makes it difficult to read with the unit placed in front of the Mac keyboard. The elevating legs do help to some extent but the unit would benefit from a greater degree of rearward elevation...the unit should have been designed with a tiltable screen and to this end I am considering placing some heavy density foam underneath the rear support to increase elevation.

Addendum: I elevated the rear supports from the desk surface by approximately 3/4" and it made a significant viewing difference.

Lou Trottier August 9th, 2009 08:36 PM

My biggest complaint is that I seem to loose transport control... cant get it to work right now. its a bit of a pain. Fortunately I also have a Frontier Tranzport which I prefer for transport functions.

Ron Wilk August 10th, 2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Trottier (Post 1202707)
My biggest complaint is that I seem to loose transport control... cant get it to work right now. its a bit of a pain. Fortunately I also have a Frontier Tranzport which I prefer for transport functions.

Hi Lou:

I am running FCP 7, which now has native Euphonix support, and have played with it all weekend and have not experienced any loss of transport communication. Perhaps an upgrade to FCP 7 would resolve the issue at hand? In addition, there is a new driver and associated firmware available for download from the Euphonix site which may also be of some benefit.

Ron Wilk August 11th, 2009 05:38 PM

Euphonix MC Control and OSX 10.5.8

The latest Mac OSX update, 10.5.8, is not compatible with the Eucon software while OSX 10.5.7 is entirely compatible, which just serves to illustrate the need for caution when considering OS updates.
I am told that a patch is anticipated but no time frame was provided.

Ron Wilk August 14th, 2009 10:56 AM

MC Control

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Trottier (Post 1200626)

Hello Lou:

The MC Control is now working well with OSX 10.5.8. For some odd reason it seemed quirky at first but after reinstalling the new Eucon software it straightened itself out.

Question: do you use Soundtrack Pro and if so, have you been able to assign the various effects to the MC's soft buttons for adjustment? I have followed the instructions included with the device (i.e. to press the Insert button to reveal the various effect's parameters) but no matter what I do the MC Control does not seem to recognize reverb, EQ and so on.

ADDENDUM:
I have just completed a telephone conversation with Euphonix support and was informed that Apple has not fully implemented the Eucon-FCP union and it is for that reason that the effects inserts are non-functional on the MC Control with Soundtrack Pro and Final Cut.

Thank you in advance,
Ron

Christopher Drews August 20th, 2009 01:12 AM

Just bought the MC Transport on BH Photo. It's a bummer they don't stock it (special order).
I'll report back when its integrated in my setup.
-C

Ron Wilk August 20th, 2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1245471)
Just bought the MC Transport on BH Photo. It's a bummer they don't stock it (special order).
I'll report back when its integrated in my setup.
-C

After using the MC Control for a week or so, I realized that the jog wheel leaves a lot to be desired. As a result, I checked around in search of the MC Transport as an addition to the Control and found that they had not yet been shipped. I did, however, place an order.

I will assume that the Transport will do a fine job, given that the MC Control works beautifully with FCP7, even better with Logic Pro 9 (Logic Studio 9) as well as with other software(i.e. AfterEffects Cs4 that requires one's own custom programming, etc.)

Ron Wilk August 22nd, 2009 11:15 AM

Euphonix MC Control and Transport

Received the MC Transport this morning and it mates quite well with the Control. There is new software to be loaded but once done, both units function together. The transport controls on the MC Control remain active, however, the jog and shuttle wheels on the MC Transport are much easier to use, making it more accurate as well. The time code read out is nice but it does not seem to work with SoundTrack Pro, however, since my acquisition of Logic Studio 9 I rarely use STP. Haven't had the time to try it out with FCP but will do so later on today. The time code function as well as a host of other functions do work, however, with Logic Pro (Logic Studio 9).

Christopher Drews September 8th, 2009 11:51 PM

Power Issues

Doh! When I unwrapped the new MC Transport and plugged it in sizzled.
Completely DOA! Luckily it's on its way back to B&H in NYC.

When I called Euphonix service, they didn't even have the unit stocked yet... it's that new.
So they didn't offer any other ideas...

Lets hope #2 likes A/C.

It's been a bad month, first my MXO2 and now a brand new MC Transport.

-C