Sony DSR 11 vs. Panasonic AG-DV1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 29th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony DSR 11 vs. Panasonic AG-DV1000

I am currently using the Panasonic deck [AG-DV1000] for exporting clips to a Mac G5/FCP. Besides the fact that the Sony plays various DV format tapes, what other advantages does it posess compared to the Panasonic? I am thinking about selling the Panasonic and purchasing the Sony.

Thanks.

paul
Paul Figgiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Can the Sony DSR-11 capture 16:9 SD?

Hi.

My title asks my question. I can see no where in my DSR-11 manual mention of what SD formats can be recorded or captured from this deck. I've used the deck for years with 4:3 but have to shoot 16:9 now.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Hope I can get my question posted in this way. I was on the main forum page but could find no where on it a way to start a new thread.)

John
John Whiteway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

The DSR-11 doesn't "see" whether the video is 16:9 or not, nor even interlaced vs. progressive.

What it doesn't do is output letterboxed 16:9 for viewing on a 4:3 display. It does set the right markers in the analog output so that 16:9 displays behave accordingly.

I use my DSR-11 with 16:9 footage all the time with no issues.

As long as it is DV or DVCAM, PAL or NTSC, that's all the DSR-11 cares about.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Figgiani View Post
I am currently using the Panasonic deck [AG-DV1000] for exporting clips to a Mac G5/FCP. Besides the fact that the Sony plays various DV format tapes, what other advantages does it posess compared to the Panasonic? I am thinking about selling the Panasonic and purchasing the Sony.

Thanks.

paul
To me, the main benefits are full size DV cassettes, PAL and NTSC, and DVCAM. I use all these features.
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite