Apple Certification Exam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple Certification Exam

I'm thinking of taking the apple certification exam for Final Cut Pro.

Has anyone taken it? Are there areas I should focus on in my studies or is this a "know everything" kind of gig.

Any help would be great.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

didn't know they still offered certification... where are you taking it?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It seems it is something of a franchise industry. There is a company in Florida call Genius DV that offers courses and exams. I plan on taking it in Celebration, Florida.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #4
Major Player

why would you need to? Does the paper give you any advantages?
I'm in Chicago and have gone through training in Premeire, AE, Director, etc... but have really never mentioned it aside from being a line on my resume... never had to pay for it though!
I would look into official Apple certification if they offer it at WWDC or NAB or the like... expensive but having apple on you resume is probably worth it...?
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I took a course for FCP and when I asked the instructor about it, he felt the same way. The class is an Apple certified class, isn't that good enough? He seemed to think it wasn't essental. I bet it really is a resume thing.

At $150 for the test, it isn't cheap, but it isn't a bank breaker either.

If you don't plan on ever working for someone else, I wouldn't bother. As I have delusions about working for someone else, I'm going to give it a go.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I do project work for large ad agencies and they never ask... I'd take that $150 and put it towards buying Motion when it comes out... Especially these days software comes out so fast that your certification in 2 or 3 years will mean only that you are capable of learning a package. You could benefit from stocking up on FCP 3.0 books cheap or better yet editing books in general> FCP is only the tool. Editing is something more...
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #7
Major Player

If you don't know how to use FCP, then take the class. If you do, then don't bother. You won't be hired based on what classes you take, but your skill at creative editing.

What does the certification class teach you anyway? How to use the application in a creative way, or the mechanics and technical aspects of it and how to set it up and fix it if it breaks?
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Major Player

well, if you want to start teaching people FCP I think it would be a good idea but if you just want to impress clients... well, you know the kind of clients you deal with better then we.

Yeah... I've had people say "Where did you go to school..." and "What's your degree in..?" and crap like that.

Some clients seem to think that unless you've got some piece of paper saying you can do something that you can't.

I don't understand that but there are people out there.

I friend of mine was shooting a commercial for a car dealership and he rented a couple of lights and the little stuff he needed because he had scouted everything and knew what he needed but the owner of the dealership started looking around and asking where the rest of the equipment was--- he realized that this was the kind of guy that unless he saw BIG that the end product wouldn't be BIG.

So he told the owner that it was coming, sent one of his assistants down to the rental house to rent a grip truck and bring it back.

He had him unload a pile of junk and start setting it up and making it look all impressive. By the time he was done with that he had gotten all the footage he needed and was pretty much done with the shoot.

He had the assistant load up the truck and take it back.

Needless to say he charged the dealership for a 2 day rental of the truck on top of his fee for the commercial.

(shrug) It's up to you, if you think it has value then it has value.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I agree that I think this is just sort of a "paper on the wall" kind of thing. The proof is always in the doing.

A good demo roll of your skill would be worth more than a paper on the wall.

I'm working my way through the training book and then I'll take the exam once and let the chips fall where they may. I don't really think it will halp getting a job but I don't think it'll hurt.

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey, it can't hurt to have it on your CV, right?

Someone at some point is bound to be impressed.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite