Question for Paul Moog and/or anyone regarding G5 system! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #31
Trustee

Oops, I thought you meant my internal drives here.

I have videos not images I can upload. They're pretty big, but I can make them smaller. Depending on space available on a server?

Murph
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #32
Warden

Yup, that's what I'm asking. I can give you some space on my iDisk. You can upload directly to it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Keep in mind, Murph, when you set up your RAID that first (like everyone else said) try to use identical drives, and second, note that is generally considered a VERY good idea to keep your OS on a separate physical drive from your stripe. So, I would recommend three drives total - and firewire is not generally recommended for RAID. Actually, I wouldn't even try it.

Another suggestion before you setup your stripe is a hardware RAID controller. They're cheap (under $100), and this way, if your entire system drive goes down, you save your precious RAID stripe. Because remember, if you use software RAID and your system crashes or your system drive crashes, you will lose your RAID stripe as well. The same goes, obviously, if you stripe your OS, as well.

Just my two cents.

Anybody else have any good RAID tips?

-Will
Will Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #34
Trustee

Great info, thank you! I'm going to get my head wrapped around my new system for a few weeks and then tackle the RAID thing. It looks like I'll do exactly what you said and buy an internal exactly like my current one. Then I'll use Firewire for my system drive.

I've never had my OS on an external drive, so that's weird to me. But, apparently it's common? I'll do it because its the best option...

Thanks again!

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite