DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   online vs. offline editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/26489-online-vs-offline-editing.html)

Alfred Tomaszewski May 24th, 2004 02:53 PM

online vs. offline editing?

What is the difference between online and offline editing?

Glenn Chan May 24th, 2004 05:36 PM

Full-blown editing systems cost a lot, so an offline edit is done on a cheaper system and then the edit is taken to the online system for finishing. Sometimes the offline edit is done at lower resolution for cost/performance reasons (it takes expensive equipment to edit at full quality).

With DV, full-blown editing systems do not cost much so the distinction is kind of blurred. But for other formats and more expensive systems you will see offline/online setups.

Alfred Tomaszewski May 24th, 2004 09:08 PM

i was talking to someone who directs and edits music videos and he said he shoots on HD and then dubs to digibeta and dvcam. he uses the dvcam for offline editing. I just dont get why he does an offline with dvcam and then the online in digibeta. if digibeta is what the master is going to be on why would he waste time doing an offline edit on dvcam only to then edit the digibeta?

Glenn Chan May 25th, 2004 12:51 AM

It's expensive to edit digibeta at full quality. A FCP DV system will run around $6k, a digibeta will run around ~$25k or so. FCP is one of the cheapest NLE systems around though and prices for NLEs have dropped dramatically so there's less incentive for online/offline now. If he edits on Avid a full blown uncompressed edit suite with SDI input is going to cost a lot.

His NLE can likely spit out an edit decision list for him to quickly transfer the project to the online suite. Then they apply color correction and special effects and whatever else they want. It saves money to do offline/online. Online suites run a few hundred dollars per hour while an offline suite is a fraction of that.

*My numbers are very rough and does not consider the base capital cost for everything else in an edit suite like real estate.

Alfred Tomaszewski May 25th, 2004 08:57 AM

you can edit uncompressed digibeta in FCP cant you? you just need an SDI input like the Black Magic card and a digibeta deck. right?

Corey MacGregor May 25th, 2004 02:39 PM

I just started editing digibeta footage with that same system. It's a G5 dual 2ghz with blackmagic capture card, digideck running fcp4. Runs awesome, you'll also need to get a raid array as well because the ide drives don't have enough bandwidth to capture the digibeta footage.

Alfred Tomaszewski May 26th, 2004 06:14 AM

Corey where did you buy your blackmagic card and how much did it run? if you dont mind me asking.

Glenn Chan May 27th, 2004 01:59 AM

Quote:

You can edit uncompressed digibeta in FCP cant you? you just need an SDI input like the Black Magic card and a digibeta deck. right?
Currently the price of all the computer stuff for an uncompressed system has come way down. $10k should do it.

BUT, the deck will run you $20k or so.

Anyways... what exactly are you trying to do?

Alfred Tomaszewski May 27th, 2004 07:40 AM

edit music videos that my company shoots on film and HD. i am just trying to see if it is worth it to just rent an online suite to edit the digibeta or just to fork over some cold hard cash.

Richard Alvarez May 27th, 2004 08:03 AM

ten to fifteen k will let you do it, but you would wind up renting the deck. Runs about $250 a day here in Houston.