does Final Cut Pro version 7 still only uses 2.5GB of RAM? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Major Player

does Final Cut Pro version 7 still only uses 2.5GB of RAM?

Anyone done an in-depth look to check whether FCP is still crippled with the 2.5GB RAM limitation?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
Anyone done an in-depth look to check whether FCP is still crippled with the 2.5GB RAM limitation?
Since it is not yet 64-bit, yes it still only uses the 2 gigs of RAM, though I would hardly characterize it as "crippled."
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mike; I agree, my wording was a bit harsh :)

For some FCP plugins which seem to use RAM from the Final Cut application process, such as Neat Video, the RAM limitation is a problem (causes crashes, etc).
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
For some FCP plugins which seem to use RAM from the Final Cut application process, such as Neat Video, the RAM limitation is a problem (causes crashes, etc).
That's the result of bad programming on the part of the plug-in manufacturer. Since these limitations are a known issue, the plug-in software engineers should have taken care to manage the RAM usage.

There are some things for which I would lay the blame at the feet of Apple, but this is not one of them.
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
That's the result of bad programming on the part of the plug-in manufacturer. Since these limitations are a known issue, the plug-in software engineers should have taken care to manage the RAM usage.

There are some things for which I would lay the blame at the feet of Apple, but this is not one of them.
I agree with you on this one.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

FCP 6.06 constant crashing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post

I am having constant problems with FCP 6.06 crashing and unless I am missing something, the problem with the code is with FCP and/or OS X, since I am not using any pluggins. The system is a first generation 8 Core 3.0 Ghz system, which has been known to have some performance issues. The problem starts to happen when too many sequences are open. The video flashes with green. If I try to close the canvas to close all the sequences, it then hangs. If I don't close then shortly it will hang also.

Any ideas besides don't open too large a project or too many sequences at once?
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Are you sure that's not a graphics card issue?
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Non-linear editing of high res is always going to require a fast disk system. RAM can't hold all the places one can go when editing. SSD will probably make more difference than a true 64 bit FCP.
More usable RAM may make rendering faster, however.
I'll be interested to see if Snow Leopard makes a difference with FCP 7.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Go Go Godzilla

James,

Your issue has nothing to do with the original thread of RAM usage in FCP. You've got a different kind of problem that should be addressed in it's own thread.

Have a moderator move this to a stand-alone thread so those that have time can help.

In the meantime, please submit more detailed information about both the configuration of your hardware and, what kind of sequences/codec/s you're working with, then we can drill down the culprit of your woes.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Robert; allegedly the Neat Video plugin just got updated with better memory and frame handling (literally a day or two after I posted here). On a long (2hr) DV project, it hasn't crashed, so I'm more or less a happy camper. I have a quad core Mac pro with 8gb RAM, although it's been added as I could afford it, and it's not symmetrical on the riser per the FCP note on Apple.com (of course, it's added in symetrical pairs though).
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite