DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Lumiere HD workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/26782-lumiere-hd-workflow.html)

Heath McKnight May 26th, 2004 11:50 AM

Lumiere HD and DVHS

Can Lumiere HD capture DVHS from the 30k and 40k JVC decks? Can it put it back to DVHS with no problem?

These may be obvious questions, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,

heath

Frederic Lumiere May 26th, 2004 11:55 AM

Heath,

Lumiere HD supports the DVHS 30K deck. It hasn't been tested with the 40K, but we will update our supported equipment list as soon as we do test it.

Yes it can output back to tape in DVHS without problem.

Heath McKnight May 26th, 2004 12:02 PM

Can it capture from the 30k DVHS deck?

heath

Frederic Lumiere May 26th, 2004 09:21 PM

It can capture HDV footage stored on the 30K DVHS Deck.

Gabor Lacza May 30th, 2004 11:44 AM

Lumiere HD workflow

I read a lot around for the HDV editing on Macs but still a few points are not clear...can somebody help me understand this.
I am planning to use a Powerbook G4 for editing with 1.33 Ghz or 1.5 Ghz processor with 1GB ram and 60gb hdd.
-Aspect Hd offers 4 video stream editing with real time...can i edit this way in lumiere with offline res of course ??
-Do I need a G-raid for the editing?
-is this 720/30p file plays smoothly on a laptop ?
-Can i monitor the edits on a broadcast SD monitor?

Thanks
Gabor

Frederic Lumiere May 31st, 2004 09:03 AM

Gabor,

Lumiere HD is that it lets you edit your HDV footage in any codec you want.

Based on the system you have, I would recommend using DV in anamorphic. This will allow you to enjoy all the benefits of DV (RT, NTSC monitoring, RT FX, etc.)

You also wont need a raid solution since the only footage you play in realtime is DV.

Once your edit is complete, Lumiere HD helps you online your timeline in a few clicks and you end up with a full 720p resolution of your timeline. at which time you can fine tune color correction.

You render it to uncompressed HD or DC 30 codec and Lumiere HD will encode/multiplex this master edit to HDV compliant MPEG-2 Transport Stream with the fastest and best quality MPEG Mac encoder on the market today.

You can then output this final TS back to your camera or DVHS deck.

You can also encode your master (uncompressed HD) to progressive scan 16:9 DVD and the results are stunning!

The idea behind Lumiere HD is that you can edit HDV using all the benefits you are currently enjoying with your editing solution.

Think about it...unless you monitor your edits in full HD resolution, there is no real advantage to editing in HD in the timeline. Having said that, if you own a cinema display, you can use DVCPRO HD instead of DV and enjoy realtime HD editing/monitoring.

Christopher C. Murphy May 31st, 2004 09:26 AM

Discussion - FCP HD w/ G5 dual 2ghz workflow using LumiereHD

Hi all,

I'd like to cross reference our workflows (again!), so we can see if we're optimizing our systems.

Here is what I have and do for FCP HD editing:

Equipment:
I have G5 dual 2ghz, 1 gig of RAM, internal ATA 160 HD, external 200 gig Firewire 400, FCP HD, LumiereHD 1.0
-------------------
1) Capture footage onto external Firewire using LumiereHD

2) Create Program Stream of m2t files (demultiplex)

3) Create Timeline codec files (this is where it gets foggy and I hope I'm doing it right in reference to DVCPRO codec editing) --

I use the "DVCPRO HD 720p60" codec on "Best" quailty and have the framerate set to "29.97" frames per second. I have the source size default to "Source".

4) "Control click" Sequence in FCP to bring up settings tab - chose "Anamorphic 16:9"

5) In the current Sequence settings window I leave the "Frame Size" at 960x720 - (anyone know if I should bump this up to 1280x720? I read somewhere on here that the HD10u only records 960 anyway - is that true?!)

6) Field domiance - unknown. Anyone help me here? I am currently using "None"

7) Under the "User Preference" menu in FCP - I have "Audio Playback Quaility" set to default "Low (faster) - can I bump this up?

8) Under the "Audio/Video Settings" menu in FCP my specs read:

"Sequence preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30" -- and "Capture Preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30 48khz" --

the "Device Control Preset is DVCPRO HD FireWire" (this one I'm not sure if that needs to be FireWire NTSC or not? It's not NTSC we're working in...it's HD right?!)

The last thing is the Video and Audio playback - it says, "[Missing] for both...the Video says "DVCPRO HD (720p60) (1280x720) and the Audio says DVCPRO HD out"

9) Under "System Settings" I'm using my external FireWire drive for a scratch disk.

10) Under the "System Settings" -- "Playback Control" I'm using "RT Unlimited" and "Medium" Quailty - (can I bump that up to high?) --

oh, and the "Pulldown Pattern" is 2:3:2:3 - is that good? I think it's defaulted there.

Additional notes:
I'm using the XML feature on LumiereHD to import all the clips into FCP.

I hope people reply because I really want to know if we're optimizing our workflows. Do you see anything wrong with above workflow?? Please tell me!

Murph

Graeme Nattress May 31st, 2004 11:05 AM

4) DVCProHD is not anamorphic - it has a special pixel aspect ratio though that you'll need to set.

6) field dominance - none

Pulldown patter is irrelevent as you're editing 30p not 24p.

Hope that helps.

Graeme

Christopher C. Murphy May 31st, 2004 03:43 PM

Hi Graeme,

Do you know what the "special pixel aspect" is for the DVCProHD codec?

All of your information is useful, thank you!

Murph

Frederic Lumiere May 31st, 2004 03:47 PM

[1) Capture footage onto external Firewire using Lumiere HD]

Version 1.1 will also allow you to input full FCP logging info.

[2) Create Program Stream of m2t files (demultiplex)]

And audio files. You want to set a different folder for audio and video. The audio folder should be on a fast drive where the m2v video doesn't have to be.

[3) Create Timeline codec files (this is where it gets foggy and I hope I'm doing it right in reference to DVCPRO codec editing) --

I use the "DVCPRO HD 720p60" codec on "Best" quailty and have the framerate set to "29.97" frames per second. I have the source size default to "Source".]

Murph, I would recommend setting the frame size to 960 X 720 in Lumiere HD's custom sixe box. Ultimately, FCP will display it the same (960 X 720) even if you choose 1280 X 720, however it has less work to do if the frame is in native DVCPRO HD resolution (960 X 720) and you might enjoy more RT benefits with layers.

[4) "Control click" Sequence in FCP to bring up settings tab - chose "Anamorphic 16:9"]

This is only if you are going to use DV as your timeline codec. In this case, the codec is already 16:9 (well, not really for DVCPRO HD but don't worry about that ;)) therefore you don't need to stretch it anymore. What I recommend to do here is go to Audio/Video Settings in your menu and set your Sequence Preset to DVCPRO HD -720p30 (before creating a sequence). After that, when you create your sequence, it will have all the settings necessary. You can then import your XML and start editing in realtime.

[5) In the current Sequence settings window I leave the "Frame Size" at 960x720 - (anyone know if I should bump this up to 1280x720? I read somewhere on here that the HD10u only records 960 anyway - is that true?!)]

Taken care of by step #4

[6) Field domiance - unknown. Anyone help me here? I am currently using "None"]

None is good, but it is taken care of by step #4

[7) Under the "User Preference" menu in FCP - I have "Audio Playback Quaility" set to default "Low (faster) - can I bump this up?]

With your specs (G5, 1 GB Ram) you could bump it up but why? Until you need to edit audio, I would leave it at Low.

[8) Under the "Audio/Video Settings" menu in FCP my specs read:

"Sequence preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30" -- and "Capture Preset DVCPRO HD- 720p30 48khz" -- ]

Do this before you create your sequence and the sequence will have all the appropriate settings.

[the "Device Control Preset is DVCPRO HD FireWire" (this one I'm not sure if that needs to be FireWire NTSC or not? It's not NTSC we're working in...it's HD right?!)]

None, unless you own the Panasonic $20K deck. Right now, you'll watch your edits in full HD resolution on your 2nd Cinema Display, or single Cinema Display. If you don't have a Cinema Display I wouldn't edit in DVCPRO HD, I would edit in DV with output to NTSC via firewire.

[The last thing is the Video and Audio playback - it says, "[Missing] for both...the Video says "DVCPRO HD (720p60) (1280x720) and the Audio says DVCPRO HD out"]

This is where you choose the Cinema Display (current or second).

[9) Under "System Settings" I'm using my external FireWire drive for a scratch disk.]

This is fine.

[10) Under the "System Settings" -- "Playback Control" I'm using "RT Unlimited" and "Medium" Quailty - (can I bump that up to high?) -- ]

Sure, try it out.

Murph, I highly recommend reading a good book on FCP or even the manual. They have great insight on preparing for editing. You will understand the reason behind each choice.

I would also recommend 2 Cinema Displays if you are going to edit in HD. Otherwise, edit in DV and don't compromise.

I hope this helps!

Christopher C. Murphy June 1st, 2004 12:53 PM

Frederic and everyone who posted...thanks!

I'm implementing changes now..

Murph

Morgan Preston June 3rd, 2004 03:33 PM

Questions about Lumiere Editing solution.

Does anyone have an idea when this software will be available?
Thanks for your time.

Frederic Lumiere June 4th, 2004 05:37 AM

Friday, June 4

Morgan,

The software should be available before the weekend.

Thanks for your patience,

Frederic Lumiere June 4th, 2004 09:13 PM

Lumiere HD v1.1 is now available!

Thank you SO MUCH for your patience.

Enjoy...we're proud of it.

:)

http://lumierehd.com/lumiere_hd.php

Frederic Lumiere June 4th, 2004 09:14 PM

Morgan,

We just released the software.

You can purchase it at:

http://lumierehd.com/lumiere_hd.php