DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 4th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

doesnt look so good now that its exported

Using FCP I exported to after effects for adjustments. While in FCP the footage looks great when it was just a quicktime movie I see lines and the colors in places are very pixelated and blotchy....I shot it with an agdvx100 on 24p mode. Now its not jumpy or anything like that, there are lines and blotches even when its still.
What happened? What did I do wrong?
thanks
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

That's impossible to answer with the amount of information you've
given. QuickTime is not some magic format (nor is any other) that
just gives you small files without any quality loss and input from
you as the user.

QuickTime is just a wrapper format (like AVI and WMV is for the
Windows platform for example) that needs a codec to compress
the data (unless you go with uncompressed).

So the question is which codec did you use and what settings
did you use with it (resolution, bitrate etc. etc.). Most people
are using either Sorenson or MPEG4 codec for QuickTime.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well Id have to say that I dont know. I simply went to export using quicktime and it did the rest.
I wouldnt know how to begin answering your question...just cause I have the software doesnt mean I know what Im doing :)
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What codec are you using to export? You should probably be using animation.

2- In After Effects, you have to make sure you get the lower/upper field issue right. Otherwise the fields will get mixed up.

3- What are you viewing the footage on? I would only trust the image displayed on a NTSC monitor. The image FCP displays is misleading in many ways.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #5
Warden

What version of FCP Ryan? Choose Export using QuickTime Conversion, then click on the Options button. Then do as Glenn advises, choose the Animation codec (Video settings>Video pull down) then adjust number of colors and quality. You should be good to go. Please post back so you still know how you're doing.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I gave that a shot and unfortuneatly the same problem occured. There are what I guess would be lots of resolution lines and the background if paused in certain places looks like it was painted or has one of those pastel layers you can put over a pic in photoshop....now while it was on animation it was still on medium as far as quality...Im gonna try that and see what I get.
While Im here could someone elaborate a little on this whole codec thing?
thanks guys
Ryan
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Animation is a lossless codec, which means no information is lost.

Other codecs like DV are destructive and cause degradation from generation to generation. In the case of DV there is a mathematical difference between 1st and 2nd generation but the difference is imperceptible.

Anyways, the animation codec means there is no generation loss going from FCP to AE and back. I believe it has other advantages like carrying alpha/transparency information.

2- The Venetian blinds effect on your footage: There are many different ways To record "24p" on a ~30fps format (mini-DV). These different ways correspond to the various shooting modes on your camera.

Read the following site:

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/#24pRecording

Look at the picture. What you may be seeing in your computer is frame "C" in the diagram. It probably looks bad.

*FCP only displays one field at a time most of the time.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That may very well be the case...so this doesnt happen to anyone else? I placed it on best quality this time with animation and while that helped a lot its still not was nice as it was showing on fcp and through the camera itself. Now since my camera uses the fake 240 mode. Should I put the conversion to 30fps? Since the movie look I wanted was already created in the camera? Will that do anything to help?
thanks
R
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #9
Warden

Quote:
...so this doesn't happen to anyone else?
It's impossible to say, because we have very little to go on and we can't see the images you are referring to.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ryan:
If you post what mode you shot it, maybe someone else can help you out. There are a few ways the DVX100 records 24p.

Next time: Choose the right mode before you shoot. Some modes are easier to edit than others.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite