Major Player

new G5s

www.apple.com

all duals
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Notice, price went up too...

Apple always has to keep their prices up there. I will never understand their business model. Just when things comes down in price, they raise the price/performace.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #3
Major Player

uh, prices dropped... 2ghz was $2799 the new 2ghz is $2499>? Granted you lose value as fast as a new car. (certified pre-owned – in both cases)
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Major Player

if you do drop the dime on a new box do not buy anything else at the apple site... their ram prices/drive prices/etc... are way too high.

Apple prices always seemed to me to offer an appropriate bang for $ ratio as I never have to mess with them as opposed to my build-your-own dual Pentium that is sitting on a shelf next to a beige G3 that runs like a champ still... (or that HP) that's in the garage. (at least the imac in my trunk works) btw anyone want to buy any of these machines? I've got $2999 to save... plus tax, shipping, ram, sata drives, uh.... nevermind I'll wait for a refurb.
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You can save 200 on apple's site just by buying through the "school discount". Almost everyone qualifies.

Yes, if you compare the 2 Ghz from yesterday to the 2 Ghz today, price went down. If you compare the top offering yesterday, to today, price went up.

Look at the Intel market, slowly, the price of the "top" machine is coming down monthly. Apple has kept their top model very high priced, save for 2 years ago when they did drop about 700.00 due to very slow sales.

Yes, I am a Mac user and have been for years. I would love to have a G5, but I cannot justify the price they are asking compared to Intel machines today.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I agree on not buying latest greatest... will likely get a dual 2 soon now that they might be had for under $2K... but I have yet to find a 64bit machine that can actively use 4-8gb of ram... I use Combustion primarilly but really enjoy the final cut workflow et al. While you can get a Dell 3+ghz pentium for around $1500 Velocity Micros, Alienwares, etc... all run higher...
sometimes more than the top end g5
www.velocitymicro.com
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Trustee

Damn it!

I just bought the G5 dual 2ghz machine!!

Do you think they'd give me the difference if I called them?? It's from an Apple reseller local to me.

Murph
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Warden

When the G5 Dual 2 GHz was first introduced, it was $2,999. The price dropped $200 when the supply loosened up. There are refurbished 2 GHz models for $2,299 now and the Education Store has the 2.5 GHz's for $2,699.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Major Player

your reseller might take it back if it's under 30 days...
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite