So...How do we make our own Blu-ray templates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

So...How do we make our own Blu-ray templates?

By and large, I like the the Blu-ray "sharing" in Compressor 3.5. However, I think the three motion menus provided will get old quite soon. Has anyone discovered how to make their own, as advertised?
Another issue is file size. A 30 minute sequence produced a .264 file that was 4.94 GB. I know that the menu is in there somewhere, but that seems like a large file for H.264. Toast 10 lets me fit 30 minutes of HD on a regular DVD5.
Anyway, what the hell is an XML template?
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Tims View Post
Another issue is file size. A 30 minute sequence produced a .264 file that was 4.94 GB. I know that the menu is in there somewhere, but that seems like a large file for H.264. Toast 10 lets me fit 30 minutes of HD on a regular DVD5
A regular DVD5 is around 4.38GB so there is not that much difference in size.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

The only customization you can do are the Background, Logo and title Graphic, just make 1920 x 1080/ 1280 x 720 videos or PSD's I think. Use named chapter markers as chapters.

This is very limited but it is a start. I still mostly use Toast.

Bluray burners are cheap. I got one and then you can put about 45GB or 2+ hrs of video on a disc. They are also great for backing up.
Attached Thumbnails
So...How do we make our own Blu-ray templates?-picture-1.png  

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; August 15th, 2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added comment
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Nigel: I failed to mention that I was comparing an MPEG2/Toast disc to the H.264/Compressor disc. I was under the impression that an H.264 file would be smaller than an MPEG2 file. Apparently not always. Anyway, back to my actual question. How do we create custom templates?

Olof: From the Apple site:
You can now easily burn a Blu-ray disc or a DVD directly from Compressor. Quickly add a menu to your disc by choosing one of the beautiful Apple-designed HD or SD templates included in Compressor. Because Compressor uses an open XML-based template format, you can import third-party or custom templates for a specific look.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Fred

No word on the supposed Open XML template support yet .. as you note, its certainly on the cards but nothing has come to light at the time of writing.

Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Major Player

I used a PSD file and it worked great (when the encoding worked). Just be sure not to put anything important (title, logo) in the lower third, as the big gray bar will blot it out.

I'm much happier with these menus than with Toast. The two things I would like would be a less obtrusive bar at the bottom, and the ability to turn off the time in the chapter listings.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Major Player

here you go kids, you heard it here first:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...es20090629.pdf
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Sponsor: Westside AV

Hmmm user friendly.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Major Player

LOL! Soon enough it will have a nice GUI wrapped around it Olof ... the question is whether a third party dev will manage to do it before Apple does
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Go Go Godzilla

For someone used to working with Scenarist or even fully customizing images in DVDSP4 this would be a relatively easy task. However if you've never gotten under the hood with any abstraction-layer editor (something based on WYSIWYG drag-n-drop interfaces) then don't even attempt this workflow as shown in the ADC document; I can guarantee you'll spend more hours scratching your head and trying to fix problems than it's worth.

Last edited by Robert Lane; August 19th, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank you, Andy.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite