DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Aaargh out of order again! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/278846-aaargh-out-order-again.html)

Aric Mannion August 14th, 2009 04:23 PM

Aaargh out of order again!

I edited an entire project with the clips out of order in the bin and it sucked. I wanted the order to be "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc..." -Seems reasonable.
but instead it's: "1, 10, 11, 2, 30, 31, 4, 5, 6 etc..." I have the same problem with after effects.
I was told I have to put a zero in front of the numbers but NOW I get:
"08, 13, 15, 01, 04, 07 etc..."

I just want the numbers in order. What sort of logic is this based on?

Jonathan Jones August 14th, 2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric Mannion (Post 1222867)
I edited an entire project with the clips out of order in the bin and it sucked. I wanted the order to be "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc..." -Seems reasonable.
but instead it's: "1, 10, 11, 2, 30, 31, 4, 5, 6 etc..." I have the same problem with after effects.
I was told I have to put a zero in front of the numbers but NOW I get:
"08, 13, 15, 01, 04, 07 etc..."

I just want the numbers in order. What sort of logic is this based on?

I'm pretty confused as to the manner in which you are arriving at your results. Are you editing the content in a traditional timeline based application that allows you to arrange the clips or content in the order you desire before exporting your finished arrangement out into your desired end content?

Perhaps you are using a plug-in feature that is attempting to reference your source clips and requires them to be set up with a specific naming structure.

A little more detailed information as to the nature of your medium or the app you are using would be helpful. Otherwise, there is very little to go on as point of reference for your predicament.

-Jon

Aric Mannion August 14th, 2009 08:26 PM

In Final Cut Pro and After Effects, if your media begins with numbers like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
It will be completely out of order in the browser as "10" apparently comes just after "1", and "20" is the next number to follow "2"
like this: 1, 10, 2, 20 -except imagine editing hundreds of clips like that for the last 6 months.

This sucks, and I think is completely stupid.

I see my mistake now, although I tried to type the numbers like this: 01, 02, 03, 04, so that it would actually be in order for once, I added a space to half the clips by mistake and everything is completely messed up. God forbid I erase the space on all the files in the capture scratch or everything will go offline. So I'm just screwed again. But seriously, why can't these programs recognize: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, as being in numerical order!? The finder recognizes these as numbers.

Olof Ekbergh August 14th, 2009 08:59 PM

The problem is that a lot of programs sort alphabetically, because we use letters as well as numbers in naming clips etc.

The program has to be very savvy to realize you are only using numbers.