DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Do I dare install this software on my mac? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/28305-do-i-dare-install-software-my-mac.html)

Laurence Maher June 30th, 2004 07:43 PM

Do I dare install this software on my mac?

Had lots of people saying don't install 3rd party stuff, but the FCP HD disc comes with these things . . . .

1. Boris Caligraphy

2. DV camera Tuner Scripts

3. EDL Access

4. Head Leading for Cinema Tools 2

5. Live Type Extras

And a whole nother disc labeled "PEAK 3 EXPRESS Audio editing/processing/mixing"

Which of these are safe to install without causing problems in FCP? No read me files list anything to do with installation.

Also, on the Live Type Extras and Cinema Tools 2 . . . where do I put them on the hard drive? Do they need to be somewhere specific so the Applications can run them?

Thanks!

Jeff Donald June 30th, 2004 08:46 PM

It's OK to install 3rd party software. I've tons of it on my FCP computer. My reference to 3rd party software was in response to you inquiry about connecting to the internet. I do not advocate the use of Norton and most other virus detecting software. Most are known to cause conflicts with FCP during capture etc.

Donie Kelly July 1st, 2004 04:25 AM

Live Type

The LiveType data CD's are large and I work on a powerbook. I was also wondering about installing these on my external firewire drive. When you use soemthing in LiveType that requires something off the CD it seems to install it on the local hard drive. In my case I've got a 80Gb internal drive and I don't want to use that for storing this data. Is there any way to configure it so that the LiveType data can be installed from the external drive?

That means I can just render it correctly when the external drive is connected. At other times I can just render previews when I'm detached from the drive.

Thanks for a cool site. I'm learning a lot by coming here.
Donie

Chris Hendrick July 1st, 2004 07:26 AM

Yes,

You will need to create a directory in your external drive called
"LiveType Data"

Then make an Alias of it and put it on your 80GB drive.

Then make sure you direct the liveType installer to that folder.

Install should got flawlessly and you will be able to store the Livetype Data on your external HD.

Regards,

Chris H

Donie Kelly July 1st, 2004 07:35 AM

Thanks Chris

I'll give that a try later on...

Donie

Jeff Price July 1st, 2004 02:37 PM

Laurence,

These are the reasons it is good to have a very big apps drive. That way you can keep all the programs and affiliated parts (plus music, if needed) on your apps drive and leaving your other drive free for projects. If you think you will run out of room you could get a bigger apps drive or only then think about moving some things to the external drive.

Maybe a differentiation on describing third party apps would help. The ones most likely to cause problems are those running in the background (thus, the caution about antivirus). Also, programs that hack the dock to give different icons, etc. can cause problems.

That is not to say that a third party program can't cause problems. Two that come to mind are some versions of Toast interfered with some programs and fonts can sometimes cause problems.

I wouldn't worry about the ones that come with FCP. For others, and if this is your livelihood, I'd first make sure your editing platform was stable (don't add anything). Once you are sure it is stable then add the other programs one at a time and try editing out. If all of the sudden you have problems then it might be the last program installed.

Laurence Maher July 2nd, 2004 12:34 AM

Gotchya guys,

Thanks a lot!

Laurence Maher July 2nd, 2004 12:36 AM

P.S.

I've got a 160 Gig hard drive for my applications drive. I assume that's big enough to fit all I'll want to put on it. (Hope so . . . geez). You mentioned I should put music on the applications drive, I'm assuming you mean like loops and stuff, not music I compose. That I should put on the work drive, don't ya think?

Jeff Price July 2nd, 2004 09:59 AM

I meant loops and iTunes stuff. As for the stuff you compose, I don't know. I'd think if it was for a specific ongoing project it would stay on the project drive.