Do I dare install this software on my mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 30th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #1

Do I dare install this software on my mac?

Had lots of people saying don't install 3rd party stuff, but the FCP HD disc comes with these things . . . .

1. Boris Caligraphy

2. DV camera Tuner Scripts

3. EDL Access

4. Head Leading for Cinema Tools 2

5. Live Type Extras

And a whole nother disc labeled "PEAK 3 EXPRESS Audio editing/processing/mixing"

Which of these are safe to install without causing problems in FCP? No read me files list anything to do with installation.

Also, on the Live Type Extras and Cinema Tools 2 . . . where do I put them on the hard drive? Do they need to be somewhere specific so the Applications can run them?

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Warden

It's OK to install 3rd party software. I've tons of it on my FCP computer. My reference to 3rd party software was in response to you inquiry about connecting to the internet. I do not advocate the use of Norton and most other virus detecting software. Most are known to cause conflicts with FCP during capture etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 04:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Live Type

The LiveType data CD's are large and I work on a powerbook. I was also wondering about installing these on my external firewire drive. When you use soemthing in LiveType that requires something off the CD it seems to install it on the local hard drive. In my case I've got a 80Gb internal drive and I don't want to use that for storing this data. Is there any way to configure it so that the LiveType data can be installed from the external drive?

That means I can just render it correctly when the external drive is connected. At other times I can just render previews when I'm detached from the drive.

Thanks for a cool site. I'm learning a lot by coming here.
Donie
Donie Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:26 AM   #4
New Boot

Yes,

You will need to create a directory in your external drive called
"LiveType Data"

Then make an Alias of it and put it on your 80GB drive.

Then make sure you direct the liveType installer to that folder.

Install should got flawlessly and you will be able to store the Livetype Data on your external HD.

Regards,

Chris H
Chris Hendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris

I'll give that a try later on...

Donie
Old July 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Laurence,

These are the reasons it is good to have a very big apps drive. That way you can keep all the programs and affiliated parts (plus music, if needed) on your apps drive and leaving your other drive free for projects. If you think you will run out of room you could get a bigger apps drive or only then think about moving some things to the external drive.

Maybe a differentiation on describing third party apps would help. The ones most likely to cause problems are those running in the background (thus, the caution about antivirus). Also, programs that hack the dock to give different icons, etc. can cause problems.

That is not to say that a third party program can't cause problems. Two that come to mind are some versions of Toast interfered with some programs and fonts can sometimes cause problems.

I wouldn't worry about the ones that come with FCP. For others, and if this is your livelihood, I'd first make sure your editing platform was stable (don't add anything). Once you are sure it is stable then add the other programs one at a time and try editing out. If all of the sudden you have problems then it might be the last program installed.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:34 AM   #7

Gotchya guys,

Thanks a lot!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:36 AM   #8

P.S.

I've got a 160 Gig hard drive for my applications drive. I assume that's big enough to fit all I'll want to put on it. (Hope so . . . geez). You mentioned I should put music on the applications drive, I'm assuming you mean like loops and stuff, not music I compose. That I should put on the work drive, don't ya think?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:59 AM   #9
Major Player

I meant loops and iTunes stuff. As for the stuff you compose, I don't know. I'd think if it was for a specific ongoing project it would stay on the project drive.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite