DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   More RAM? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/28662-more-ram.html)

Shawn Mielke July 8th, 2004 05:53 PM

More RAM?

Hello.

I just recieved a dual 2ghz G5 from Apple and am pretty excited.
I had them install two 250gb internal drives
BUT
I failed to order more than the basic 512mb of RAM.
Am I seriously impaired?
I have a lot of capturing and editing ahead of me. Will I be fine as is, or should I absolutely order more memory before even thinking of starting a massive project?
I've tried to get the best thing I can get, but I don't know a great deal about these systems.

Thanks!

Shawn

Jeff Donald July 8th, 2004 06:17 PM

Get more memory. I would get no less than another 512Mb. But really that is not near enough. I usually recommend 2Gb total and if you want an optimum amount 4Gb seems to really be the peak for performance. G5's require that ram be installed in pairs.

Ray Echevers July 8th, 2004 07:24 PM

You pretty much absolutely need more memory.
And remember, you need to buy them and install them in pairs.
For instance, if you want 1GB more of memory, you need to get (2) 512MB sticks. That's what I did and i'm at 1.5GB.

Here's what I got and from this place too. They have great prices, quality and speedy service. I have memory from them on my PC and my G5.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=1F69CEB4A5CA7304&WSMD=Power+Mac+G5+%28Dual+2%2E0GHz+DDR%29&WSPN=CT322476

Shawn Mielke July 8th, 2004 07:52 PM

Thanks guys.
I will definitely check out Crucial.
What does (more) memory do for the overall performance of a system?
Good for things like rendering, audio sync, whatever?
Can I feel, I don't know, safe, with 2gb until I'm able to afford another 2?

Ray Echevers July 8th, 2004 07:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Shawn Mielke : Thanks guys.
I will definitely check out Crucial.
What does (more) memory do for the overall performance of a system?
Good for things like rendering, audio sync, whatever?
Can I feel, I don't know, safe, with 2gb until I'm able to afford another 2? -->>>

Definetly, 2GB should be more than fine.
Even 1.5GB will be fine.

Shawn Mielke July 8th, 2004 08:32 PM

Alright, $300 for 1500mb at Crucial. I'm GLAD I forgot to have Apple preinstall more RAM! I haven't cracked the manual yet; is it a cinch to self install stuff?

Ray Echevers July 8th, 2004 08:46 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Shawn Mielke : Alright, $300 for 1500mb at Crucial. I'm GLAD I forgot to have Apple preinstall more RAM! I haven't cracked the manual yet; is it a cinch to self install stuff? -->>>
Yes it's pretty easy. The hardest part is actually putting the memory in the ram and latching it, it's always a very tight hard fit.
The manual has pics and guides you through it.

Remember, you have to install 2 sticks at a time and in the proper order (it's in the manual)
So if you want to add 1.5GB to your 512MB, you would need,

(2) 512 sticks
(2) 256 sticks

Josh Brusin July 8th, 2004 08:47 PM

ramjet.com

you need pairs so get another 512 (you only have one?) and since you have 2 256 chips get get 4 more 512s...

slots as follows:

512 512
512 512
512 512
256 256

install the slowest chips last (so I've been told).
should be smokin... if you're running compositing or 3D, etc... you should look into 2gb modules... get the 3200 chips too...

Shawn Mielke July 8th, 2004 09:11 PM

Got it. Can't wait to read the manual! Thanks!

Joe Calalang July 9th, 2004 06:06 AM

Might as well ask a similar question here :

My G4 Powerbook (1.25 gHz) has 512 megs of RAM.

Should I upgrade and what's the max upgrade I can do on a powerbook? Mind you, I use FCE and will soon get FCP. What type of memory should I get?

Jeff Donald July 9th, 2004 06:26 AM

If yours is the 15" PB w/FireWire 800, it will hold up to 2GB of ram. You would have to replace your original 512MB because it only has 2 slots. You nee PC2700 DDR333 200 pin SO-DIMM's. Order from sources suggested in the posts above. I would recommend a minimum of 1GB total ram for editing in FCP and the more the better.

Glenn Chan July 9th, 2004 06:54 AM

I believe you can roughly figure out how much RAM you will with a formula like the following:

( # of undos+1 * your project size ) + overhead

So if your project is 30MB and you have 30 layers of undos and the overhead is 100MB (I have no idea what the overhead is), then that's 1030GB. Performance will be slow when you run out of RAM. You can get around this by making your project size smaller, by doing things like avoiding excessive nesting.

Haven't tested things but I'm fairly sure that's how it works.

512MB I would consider to be the minimum based on experience with FCP3 / DP500mhz G4 doing a multicam edit.

Jeff Donald July 9th, 2004 10:08 AM

PowerBooks have slower hard drives and performance really takes a hit if you run out of ram. If you set up an external drive for you scratch disk you'll also see better performance.

Glenn Chan July 9th, 2004 09:00 PM

It makes more sense to load up on RAM or to avoid running out of RAM, as an external scratch drive versus an internal is like slow versus slower.

Jeff Donald July 9th, 2004 09:27 PM

The OS and application are on the 5400rpm internal drive and your scratch disk is on a 7200rpm FireWire 800 or 400 drive. I don't see a slow vs. slower here. My PowerBook definitely slows down without a scratch disk. What PowerBook are you using Glen and how do you have it configured?