DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   out of memory (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/29089-out-memory.html)

Gary Chavez July 16th, 2004 11:38 AM

out of memory

lately i get this orange/redscreen while doing the simplest of renders. a quick quit and restart fixes it for a little while.
i have all rendering chores handled by the 2 Medea Raid devices.
i have a Kona SD card to handle the editing chores.
what have i done that i am not aware of?
thanks

Mark Sloan July 16th, 2004 01:33 PM

System setup? RAM, OS version, Software version?

Gary Chavez July 17th, 2004 10:51 AM

g-4 dual 1.25
OS 10.2.8
1024 mb
1 MEDEA RAID 5 X 320
1 MEDEA RAID 5X 460
KONA SD CARD

dont let this system fool you into thinking
i wisely put it togther.
it was purchased turn key.
i know nothing about computers.
when trying to render jpegs
and some effects i get the problem
there is no ryhme or reason to it that i can detect.

Mark Sloan July 17th, 2004 12:55 PM

I'm assuming you use FCP and that it worked just fine for quite some time and just recently started having problems.

Hm. Some things to look into... try fixing permissions on your boot disk. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility... I think that is the name of the application in 10.2.8, if not, look for something named close to that. Look for a button that allows you to fix disk permissions. Make sure your boot disk has at least 10% of its capacity free. Meaning, if the boot disk is 40GB make sure you have at least 4 GB free (Mac OS X needs that for virtual memory swap space). I am also assuming your Medea RAIDs have free disk space.

You can always trash your preferences too. If you are using FCP go to Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist and delete that file. That might do the trick too. If you still are having problems there are some other things to try as well like setting your scratch space to your internal and try and narrow it down to your RAID setup or your RAM, or whatever... (The place that sold you the setup won't help?)

Jeff Donald July 17th, 2004 01:31 PM

What do you mean the screen goes orange/red? What color is it normally?

Gary Chavez July 19th, 2004 09:03 AM

Sorry,
i keep forgetting that you guys arent looking over my shoilder.
both the canvas and viewer windows go red/orange

Jeff Donald July 19th, 2004 09:22 AM

That's a new one on me. I would suspect the preferences files. The instructions for deleting the three files are at the top of this forum. Make sure you delete all three files and repair permissions on your system drive after restarting. If that doesn't work I would call your turnkey system provider and Kona and see what they say.

Gary Chavez July 19th, 2004 12:36 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, Jeff.