Hardware de-interlace - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 16th, 2004, 05:06 AM   #16
RED Problem Solver

If you want a really simple de-interlacer, Simon, drop me an email and I'll cut all the other stuff you don't need out of my code and make a little hod rodded version for you to try. I've seen one other person report the solarization bug - it's something inside FCP or settings or something, and for the life of me I can't remember what caused it. I'll have to go hunt through my tech support emails and find the cause.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #17
Wrangler

There is still something very wrong if it takes 3 hours to render a 5 minute sequence I think. I don't know about Film Effects, but DV Film should only take you a bit over 20 minutes to do that.

You mentioned you were running OS X 10.2. My recollection is that there were some serious problems with versions of OS X older than 10.2.8. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Perhaps there's some other software running in the background that dogs down your system? I don't think having a single partition on your internal drive will be a problem at all. The only other thing which I'd suggest checking is the formatting of your external firewire drive. "Out of the box" many of these are preformatted as PC drives. They will mount on the Mac this way, but performance is greatly impaired. You might check that drive just to confirm that it's formatted for "Mac OS Extended". There could be other issues with an external drive too. Have you tried this same experiment by putting the input and output files on the internal drive? Any speed difference there?

If you're seeing a slowdown by a factor of 900% (taking 3 hours to do something which should take 20 minutes) then SOMETHING is wrong SOMEWHERE. While it may not manifest itself in FCP itself, I would want to know what was going on if it were my computer...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #18
Wrangler

One other thought... what version of QuickTime are you running? All these programs use it. I know there are some issues with FCP 3 and newer versions of Quicktime. I have Quicktime 6.3 pro on my machine.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #19
Warden

Use Process Viewer (an Apple supplied application in your utilities folder) to check what application are using what percent of the CPU. This will confirm Boyd's suspicions of another program hogging the CPU. Your hard drive needs to have at least 30% free space. Unix base systems (OS X) will experience problems when the drive fills greater than 80%.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi there,

Graham, that’s a fantastic offer and I will gladly take you up on it, email’s in the post.

The more I think of this, the more I feel that lack of RAM is the issue. I’ll purchase some and see if that speeds things up.

Everything else seems within the limits you guys have suggested: 115.03GB drive with 58.15GB free space, Mac OS Extended format. I can pretty much qualify that there isn’t any other piece of s/w grabbing processor time because I purposefully haven’t installed or run any on the machine, it is used solely for editing. QuickTime version is 6.0.1, which is the version that shipped with FCP.
Simon Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #21
Warden

Operations running in the background can hog CPU cycles. The feature that allows the time to be set over the internet automatically can be a big problem, as well as anti-virus software that scans new files. Run a small test and run Process Viewer at the same time and it will put the issue to rest and confirm your need for more ram.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi there,

I’ve just run this test: 5-min original sequence, dropped FCP’s deinterlace filter on to it and began rendering. Estimated time to finish - 20 mins.

In Process Viewer CPU usage is 170% and memory usage is 10.5%. There is nothing else listed having any real impact on the system.

Don’t know what you make of these figures Jeff, are they sort you are used to seeing? (Won’t be able to reply until tomorrow, must get some sleep!)

Simon.
Simon Davies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite