DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 9th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Major Player

10.3.5 is out... but don't be in a hurry

Apple has released the update for 10.3.5 BUT I would advise all FCP users to hang on and wait a couple of days till others have tried it out before jumping in.

I'm in the middle of an editing project so I know I'm not going to do it, I don't have the time to be tracking down any issues right now if there are any.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I installed 10.3.5 last evening. I have been working on a project in FCP HD all day...so far so good. In fact, as I mentioned somwhere else, my Mac feels somewhat more 'snappy'.

-paul
Paul Figgiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Great to hear, Paul!

I'm anxious to try it out but till Ken Stone ( www.kenstone.net ) gives the high sign I usually wait.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm using it on my home set up with FCE on a G3 iBook 800 with no issues but haven't installed it on the dual 2gig G5 at work yet. We are at the end of a major project and when it's done will more than likely update.
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Been using it with no glitches at all for the last two days on my Dual 2.0 G5 and my old Dual 1.25 G4.

Lots of editing and other functions with FCP-HD, DVD SP3, and many other apps. No problems at all. Not even with Pro Tools, which is usually the acid test.
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Has anyone had freezes with there G5, I have about a month old G5 with 2.5gig ram 250 media drive int. I want to get motion but i am concern about the freezes. The system will just lock up and i can't even get to the force shut down. I have to physically turn it off and turn it back on. I just switched from using pc for the past 20+ yrs and i hope i did not make a mistake. If this is in the wrong post i am sorry. I just need some answere and no one seems to be able to help. I don't want to buy motion and keep having problems with the G5.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Warden

Please provide more details Ozzie. What OS version are you using, where did you buy your ram, when does it lock up. Have you tried to force quit (Apple Key, Option Key, Escape Key) your application?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Jeff thanks for getting back. os is 10.35,. the ram was purchased from the apple compuer store. it locks up whenever it feels like. it does not matter, FCPHD, livetype soundstream. it just locks up. Once it does I can't get to none of the force quit options. I have to just power it off manually. It did not do it when i first purchased it ,but now it is getting worse.
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well, something's going on because most of the G5's I use never freeze. Troubleshooting's an art. You can try the usual - make sure you repair permissions while booted from the startup disk. You can repair the disk while booted from the installer DVD. You can ultimately do a clean install, even, which is not such a hassle as it used to be.

If all that doesn't work, you start to think about hardware problems. You can start by running the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the machine. You can remove the extra RAM and see if the original 512 megs work with no problem.

I'm skipping a few other things you can do, the "rule out problems one at a time" stuff.

I'm running motion on a Dual 2.0 with a lot of RAM and it's still slow. Reminds me of Composer version 1.0. I think that the 1.1 version will probably be a good deal faster. Getting the 6800 card to replace my 9600 may help, too. ;-)

Good luck, and please keep us posted. Stick with it till it's solved. It's a great OS and is remarkably trouble-free usually.
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #10
Warden

Sounds like bad memory. If you want to trouble shoot you'll have to remove pairs of ram sticks and operate to see if it still locks. But since the ram is all Apple I would return the unit to them.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks all, i will keep at it.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Do you still have a warranty on it? Or did you get Apple Care? When my Powerbook started acting up, I also resisted taking it in. The hard disk simply died one day. Fortunately most of my stuff was backed up. But I lost some items. I should have known better and used my Apple Care option sooner. Jeff doesn't usually tell people to take in their Macs. When he does, it's probably worth it to listen.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

yes still under warranty, ok i've made no changes and since i've posted this message it has been running fine. go figure, i will still take it in after i am done with my project.
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #14

You might also consider (in case you haven't) to not have any software on it that isn't absolutely necessary, and never use the boot / main drive for storage. Is yours that liquid cooled system or previous model?
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite