DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Why So large (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/306809-why-so-large.html)

Eddie Pelfrey August 21st, 2009 10:33 PM

Why So large

I am working on a small project aprox 10 min long after i finished it it is 8.5 gig
Why is this file so large? it was shot on a HD camera but on non HD tape.

Christopher Drews August 22nd, 2009 12:42 AM

Wow!

I believe you've just won the gold medal in vagueness. Congrats.
What did you shoot on? What are you editing in? What preset was your export? Which codec for the 8.5 GB file? How does one shoot HD on non-HD tape or are you talking about HDV?
Give us some info...
-C

Eddie Pelfrey August 22nd, 2009 09:16 AM

I am shooting on A canon xh-A1 useing non hd tapes. i am useing final cut express when i eport the file useing eport quick time movie. file size is 8.5 gig it is 10 min long exactly

Christopher Drews August 22nd, 2009 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I still don't know what your sequence settings are for your project. What codec are you cutting in (not HDV). This is your problem I think. If you open up your 8.5 GB .mov in QuickTime Player you can determine codec. Just hit Apple+I. Please see the attached screenshot. Everything will be determined in this window having to do with file size.
-C

Pete Cofrancesco August 22nd, 2009 10:10 AM

you probably imported it as an uncompressed format. Change your capture settings to HDV or ProRes422 low quality.

Robert Lane August 23rd, 2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1253723)
I believe you've just won the gold medal in vagueness. Congrats.

Being smug is not only not necessary it's absolutely forbidden on this forum. Keep your responses either to asking a question, sharing useful information or posting a potential fix for a problem.

Eddie Pelfrey August 23rd, 2009 09:25 AM

I could not get to take a snapshot but here is what i have

BCI FINAL.mov

source /volume/g-drive Q /BCI FINAL.mov
format Apple intermediate codec, 1440x1080
(1888x1062),millions
FPS 29.97
Plaing FPS AVAILIBLE WHILE PLAYING
Data size 8.12 GB
Data Rate 120.23 mbits / s
current time 0
duration 0:00:09:40.74
normal size 1920x1080 pixels
current size 1920x1080 pixels

I use the easy set up on the first project and just removed the timeline and added more

I just did not think it would be 8.5 GB for 10 min of any kind of video?

What i am trying to acomplis is the best Quality i can get to burn to DVD (IDVD) but i also send to youtube
Sow how should i export for best quality and what would be best for youtube?

I have only been useing FCE for about 3 mon so i am very new

Perrone Ford August 23rd, 2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey (Post 1259366)
I could not get to take a snapshot but here is what i have

BCI FINAL.mov

Data Rate 120.23 mbits / s

This number controls the final size of your footage. Period. So for reference:

Uncompressed 10bit HD is about 550 Mbits/s = ~4GB per minute.
miniDV/HDV is 25 Mbps = 0.18 GB per minute
Sony EX1 is 35 Mpbs = 0.27 GB per minute

Quote:

I just did not think it would be 8.5 GB for 10 min of any kind of video?

Many types of HD are larger, and once you go to 2k or 4k video, they can be MUCH larger. There is a reason you'll hear pros on here working with 10-25 Terbaytes per movie.

Quote:

What i am trying to acomplis is the best Quality i can get to burn to DVD (IDVD) but i also send to youtube

Ok, DVD has a MAXIMUM bitrate of ~8.5 Mbps. Internet video is usually presented around 1Mbps or less. For uploading to Youtube you want to produce a file that is about 4Mbps and let Youtube re-compress it to the proper size.

DVD can ONLY understand files that are encoded with the Mpeg2 codec. Nothing else.

Quote:

Sow how should i export for best quality and what would be best for youtube?

Generally, you want to upload Mpeg4/H.264/AVCHD to Youtube. You will see these terms used interchangeably in many places. So instead of creating a video with the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) you will use one that says Mpeg4/AVCHD/H264. And you will choose an option that gets the bit rate to about 4-6 Mbps for uploading.

Quote:

I have only been useing FCE for about 3 mon so i am very new

It's ok. We've all had to learn.

Eddie Pelfrey August 23rd, 2009 10:21 AM

YouTube - Brushy Creek Trophy ranch hunting and breeding facility

Here is the link to the video after getting it to Youtube

A couple more questions(I love this place)

When i export this then drag and drop it into IDVD does IDVD resize the movie? (When i burn it from IDVD it only takes up about 1/2 the disk

when i try to export useing qick time conversion it gets to 7% and hangs up will it eventually go on i waited for about 15 min.

when importing video what would be the best setting? i want the best quality i can get but can not burn to blue ray.

thanks in advance

Perrone Ford August 23rd, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey (Post 1259587)
When i export this then drag and drop it into IDVD does IDVD resize the movie? (When i burn it from IDVD it only takes up about 1/2 the disk

This SHOULD be dependent on what you give iDVD to work with. If you give it a DVD compliant Mpeg2 file, I will not resize it or do anything at all with it. If you give it anything OTHER than an valid DVD compliant Mpeg2 file, it is going to compress it again to make it work. I don't know enough about iDVD to tell you how it is going to do it, or what the quality will be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey (Post 1259587)
when importing video what would be the best setting? i want the best quality i can get but can not burn to blue ray.

in Final Cut Express, I'd say you are probably using the highest quality setting you can get. Final Cut Pro offers some better options.

Eddie Pelfrey August 23rd, 2009 10:41 AM

so when exporting what would be best? I dont see mpeg 2 i do see mpeg 4 but if i remember correctly it cut the sides from my video when i tried this? Or i can can just export useing Quick time movie?

I am useing a MacBook Pro will this thing handle Final cut Pro?

Perrone Ford August 23rd, 2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey (Post 1259698)
so when exporting what would be best I dont see mpeg 2 i do see mpeg 4 but if i remember correctly it cut the sides from my video when i tried this

If FCE doesn't have an mpeg2 export, then just take your finished file straight to iDVD and let it do the compression. That's fine.

Eddie Pelfrey August 23rd, 2009 10:48 AM

You got it.
Should i be capturing differantly? since i cant use blue ray? (So not to be waisting harddrive space)?

thanks

Perrone Ford August 23rd, 2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey (Post 1259701)
You got it.
Should i be capturing differantly? since i cant use blue ray? (So not to be waisting harddrive space)?

thanks

No, you want to generally edit with the best quality you can. If you are going to take a quality hit, save it for the end of processing.