DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/30775-motion.html)

Peter Wiley August 20th, 2004 04:35 PM

Motion

I recieved a copy of Motion couple of days ago. The program is amazing and very fun to play with. In fact, it's a big time sink.

However, on my Dual 2 GHz with 2.5 GB of ram it is SLOW and gets slower as projects get more complicated. I had one crash in which the program quits in the middle of a render. Quits isn't the word really. It just plumb disappeared.

Other experiences?

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2004 05:20 PM

Which video card do you have?

Duane Martin August 23rd, 2004 02:55 PM

I have used Motion on a stock 12" Powerbook with 768MB Ram, a Dual G5 1.8GHz with 1.25GB of Ram and the NVidia 5200 card, as well as on a Dual G5 2Ghz with 2GB of Ram and the ATI 9600 video card. I have spent more than 12 working hours between all three models (most spent on the Dual 1.8). In this process I have doubled the number of objects found in the tutorial. Certainly both the G5s were considerably faster than the Powerbook, and the Dual 2 with the extra Ram stayed responsive through more layers than the Dual 1.8. The Powerbook barely handled the tutorial, but both G5s worked all the way through the tutorial just fine, and the Dual 2 went way beyond this and never bogged down (i.e. real-time all the way). Not once on any of these machines has Motion ever crashed. Why you are experiencing what you are I am unsure of, but time will tell what the kinks in the software are. Just know that this is not everyones experience, so there is likely a resolution.

For others reading this, Apple is really recommending the best video card you can afford (something you will appreciate with Tiger in the future) and at least 2GB of Ram. I have seen the Ram make a difference. Truth is, Motion is likely to sell a lot of computers for Apple. Editors like me who have been making older systems last just a bit longer are getting a major prod with Motion. Or perhaps just a really good excuse.

Ray Echevers August 23rd, 2004 06:47 PM

What's the best video card to get for a Dual 1.8ghz G5 running Motion?
And how much does it cost?

Jeff Donald August 23rd, 2004 08:17 PM

Get either of the two cards Duane mentions, the ATI 9800 or the nvidia 5200.

Ray Echevers August 24th, 2004 05:37 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Get either of the two cards Duane mentions, the ATI 9800 or the nvidia 5200. -->>>

Which is better?

Peter Wiley August 24th, 2004 06:54 AM

I am sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to this thread. The video card I have is the one that came with the G5: an ATI 9600 Pro.

As I have worked more with the program I have found that the slowness I experienced seems to be intermittent and I have not had another crash. My guess is that what happened has something to do with networking. Normally when I am doing anything with video I disconnect from my network. I don't think I was disconnected when Motion crashed.

Jeff Donald August 24th, 2004 10:47 AM

Ray, the nvidia is the only card compatible with the new 30" ACD at this time. Give ATI a few months and I'm sure they will one up nvidia and back and forth it will go.

Ray Echevers August 24th, 2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Ray, the nvidia is the only card compatible with the new 30" ACD at this time. Give ATI a few months and I'm sure they will one up nvidia and back and forth it will go.
30"ACD? Is that the new 30" LCD screen? I have no intentions on buying one of those.
I have dual 1.8ghz G5(1st gen) with 17" ACD.
If I were to buy the best card availble now for my setup, which would i get? (I eventually will get Motion)

Jeff Donald August 24th, 2004 11:34 AM

If you're buying now, I'd get the nvidia. It's currently the fastest. However, I prefer ATI, as they seem to have better drivers and update drivers more frequently. So, if it was me I'd settle for the 9800 (which is a great card) or wait (should be out in 6 to 8 months) for the next ATI card.

Bjorn C Hagert August 24th, 2004 12:01 PM

I am considering Motion for fire, fog smoke f/x. I had a look at Apples quicktime movies and it didn't look very good to me. However that may be because it is more or less a tutorial and not in context. Can anyone direct me to a movie URL that has some nice Motion f/x.

I am also interested in what any user think about it.

Thanks in advance

Peter Wiley August 24th, 2004 12:49 PM

I am not going to claim that it is "nice", but I posted a Motion doodle that I did today as I was getting oriented to the program.

The doodle just happens to have some fire and fog effects for obvious reasons. This took maybe 15 minutes to do, so it's hardly refined.

http://www.arbourmedia.com/media/Dragons.mov

Bjorn C Hagert August 24th, 2004 11:40 PM

Ahh that was absolutely quite nice :-)

Do you think that it would be possible to create a fire and a non burning filmed object?

Do you think that it is possible to create mists over a landscape?

Am I asking too much of it. I was sort of hoping to be able to create those effects in post instead of using pyrotechnics.

Peter Wiley August 25th, 2004 06:15 AM

Here's a bad day in downtown Lewisburg. Fog blows in and fire breaks out. Again done in just a very few minutes.

The fog looks better than the fire and black smoke effects -- the latter are a little too cartoonish-history channelish to my eye.

http://www.arbourmedia.com/media/BadDay.mov

Bjorn C Hagert August 25th, 2004 09:21 AM

That's it I am buing Motion! It looks as if it can be very useful. As always less is more!

Thank you very much for taking the time doing the demo!