Mixing formats at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing formats

I may be in a situation where I have to edit with footage from 2 different sources.
1. Sony HDcam already captured as DVCPro HD.
2. JVC GY-HD200U Camera (possibly recorded to Focus Enhancements drive and tape).
Edit system is latest FCP on a quad core tower.
Questions: Am I headed for trouble trying to match these?
Should I capture the JVC footage as DVCPro HD as well? And I may have option of using Sony EX3. Am I much better off going with the Sony and not the JVC?

Thanks in advance.
Martin Kornfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Major Player

It is always good practice to edit in the same format. Your DVCPRO-HD stuff shouldn't be a problem. It when you start mixing formats such as H.264 or AVC that things start getting rough. If it were me, I'd convert everything to ProRes or change my sequence setting and re-render.

Your other option is to cut into DVCPRO-HD but this isn't the best because of spacial resolution- although it is a 10-bit codec like ProRes (thus conserving your color space).
For the EX1/3 you already have an 8-bit color codec so you won't preserve any headroom.

Hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It would be great to capture the new JVC footage as prores and convert the HDCam to prores as well.
But since the HDCam footage is already captured as DVCProHD will it take a bad hit by converting it to prores?
Martin Kornfeld is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite