DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:27 AM   #1
New Boot

Babysitting the Batch Capture

I'm working with Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 and an XL1. Whenever I log all my clips and start the batch capture, I have to sit next to the camera to make sure it doesn't forget to stop at the proper in point. At least a good 50% of the time I have to manually stop it or rewind it to the proper in point location. This gets extremely frustrating and time consuming. I can't walk away from it or it won't get half my clips, and it's only going to get worse when I have to start archiving projects and relogging the footage when further adjustments need to be made on. Any suggestions? anyone else have this issue?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've never had this problem before. Have you tried capturing w/ another cam or deck? How old is your mac and XL1?

If you're going to be capturing/archiving a lot, then you may want to invest in a deck.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:00 PM   #3
Warden

Are there a lot of time code breaks?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4
DV Creators

You could try capturing a whole tape at once, then "logging" the big clip from your hard drive, then media manage the desired clips (if they are a small percentage of the tape) to free up hard drive space.
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #5
New Boot

I'm using a brand new G5 Power Mac, and I believe the XL1 is only a year or two old. It's a company camera so i don't know its whole history. There are no timecode breaks when the problem arises, but I'll give it a shot with my own camera and see what happens. It would be nice to get a deck, but I don't think the boss is going to spring for one anytime soon.
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #6
Warden

If it's an XL1 (not XL1s) then its at least 3 years old. Of course it could have been in a dealers inventory or used as a demo for some time after the XL1s was introduced in 2001.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #7

I was told to turn off the "delete capture on time code breaks". Truthfully can't remember if it worked or not. Did it in the middle of an edit marathon, via manual capture.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite