Sequence Transition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sequence Transition

I'm trying to do a standard fade in, fade out dissolve between 2 sequences but I get an error, "Insufficiant content for edit." Is it not possible to sandwich these standard dissolves between entire sequences in FCP HD?

I can do it manually w/ the opacity but just wanted to know why it won't accept dissolves from the menu.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Warden

You didn't leave enough "handles" to accommodate the time needed to do the dissolve. You need to start the transition earlier, or try moving the dissolve. Is it centered on the cut? Try moving it to the start of the cut.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes it is centered on the cut. So instead of placing the playhead between sequence 1 and 2 to insert the transition I should place it at the beginning of sequence 2?
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #4
Warden

Yes, try that and it should work. depending on your extra material or "handles".

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll try that out. Do "handles" refer to alotting enough space on each clip to allow the transition to run through?
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #6
Warden

"Handles" are extra material after the in point and out point of the edit, to use in the transitions.

Old September 14th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm using FCE and have a similar problem. I'm fairly new to editing but I do understand that a clip has to have have "extra" material at the ends (handles) in order to use transitions.

I do a lot of editing with sequences and once I get them right, I put them together. FCE treats the sequences like clips, and I think that means that when you build a sequence you have to leave material at the beginning and end. Then when you put the sequences together, roll back the ends by 15 or 30 frames to get the necessary handles to do transitions.

At least I think this is how you have to do it. Is this how everyone else works with sequences or is there a better way?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite