powerbook g4 not burning anymore? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #1

powerbook g4 not burning anymore?

this isnt totally related to DV but it has been adversly effecting my videos lately...

my powerbook is no longer recognizing blank cd-r's as of last week. iTunes nor the finder recognize when a blank disc is inserted and its troubling to say the least since i cannot burn cds.

i know with my pc i could just select the drive and re-enable the recording setting but I am still pretty new to macs.. can anyone suggest a cure?

jr
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #2
Major Player

First thing to try is to repair permissions using the Disk Utility found in your Applications/Utilities folder.

If you have been recording a lot you might want to clean your drive some way...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Warden

How old is the PowerBook? Which model PB is it? Have you tried any other burning software such as Toast? Is the drive recognized in Apple System Profiler?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:16 AM   #4

it is a titanium powerbook, maybe almost 2 years old.
in the disk utility, when i click on my harddrive it says it has read/write capacity but that is the only drive i see listed.... should there be somehting else?
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #5
Warden

Your hard drive is not the CD burner. Go to Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info>Hardware>ATA Then in the list on the right (you may have to click on the arrows) you should see your CD drive listed. If not you may have a dead drive, or connection problem between the drive and bus. If the drive is listed you may have a dirty lens, it could be out of alignment, or it might even be the brand of blank discs you're using.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Trustee

I had asimilar thing happen to my desktop drive (twice actually) if you have apple care they're usually pretty good about getting everything fixed for you, if you don't they're still good aboutit it just costs money.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #7
Warden

You could get an external burner for less than the cost of a repair, but it obviously won't be as convenient as a built in burner.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite