Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #106
Wrangler

ComputerWorld Quad G5 review

http://www.computerworld.com/softwar...106263,00.html

Quote:
The improvements in speed in the new hardware are dramatic. My After Effects projects ran more than 60% faster compared with the Power Mac G5 with dual 2.5-GHz processors, and Apple says that X-Code compiling is nearly 80% faster than on earlier models. Final Cut Pro standard-definition rendering yielded results that were 50% faster for me compared to the dual 2.5-GHz machine.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #107
Major Player

magic bullet editors v2 problems with fcp / compressor

hi everyone. i am having major render problems with magic bullet editors v2. when adding the look suite filter in fcp, the clip shows black & white (regardless of what look i give it) unless i uncheck "use gpu". so fine, i figure my gpu is not supported for realtime. i uncheck it and everything is fine.

HOWEVER, when exporting to mpeg2 using compressor, the preview shows up as black & white, and the mpeg2 file created is black & white.

anyone seen this before? please help!

thanks in advance.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #108
New Boot

Using Mattes in FCE2

Just for fun a shot a silly short with a character sitting in a chair underneath a portrait of herself. The portrait is actually video and comes to life, and chaos ensues. I was first going to do this using greenscreen material inside the picture frame, but then decided I could do the same thing using a 4 point matte to cut out the picture so the video underneath could show through. I thought this would be cleaner than greenscreen.

This works, but I realized after the fact that if the "real" charactor moves in front of the picture frame, she is cut off by the matte (duh!). Short of re-doing this with a green screen picture frame, is there anything I can do to salvage the shot with the matte? I've heard about something called a "difference matte"; what does that do? There are only two points in the movie where she crosses in front of the picture, for about a second in total, but it obviously ruins the illusion. Thanks!
Robert Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM   #109

FCP 5 & HVX200: DVCProHD/50/25 - Easy Set Up Options

Just trying to limit unpleasant surprises here.

Under the "Easy SetUp" menu in FCP 5.0.3 I see the option for:
DVCPRO HD - 720p24

What I don't see are options for: DVCPRO 50 & DVCPRO 25

Should there be settings for DVCPRO 50 & DVCPRO 25, or would it all just fall under the DVCPRO HD - 720p24 setting?

I realize this may not be a question that can be answered until the HVX200 is available, and we are actually editing footage from it in FCP 5, but I felt really bad for all of the folks who got the JVC HD100 and then quickly found there was no HDV 720p24 setting (and to date... still isn't).
Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM   #110
New Boot

Soundtrack Pro Error

Anyone run into an error message when trying to open a previously saved multitrack project? It says error in opening file, try again...
I haven't touched any of the root files.
Jeff Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #111
Major Player

Horizontal smear

Hi everyone

Just wondering if you get the same effect; I have a JVC GY-HD100 and when ever I fastforward when I'm in the capture window of FCP on 720p I see a pixelated streak/line. You know, when you fast forward your footage, everything becomes pixelated and then every 7 seconds or so a streak would come up, is it normal? is it a drop out? is it my tape?
Anybody had that?
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #112
Regular Crew

Sound was off

Has any one had this experience ? I use Mac G-4 with GL2 as a play back deck and FCE. After dopping the video back to the Camera the sound was off on one of the clips and only one. I checked it out on the computer and the computer clip was not off ???????
John Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #113
Regular Crew

old film to dv with sync issues

Hope someone can explain this problem.

I transfered an old film I did on 16mm that I never edited to Dv cam. The audio was recorded on a pro nagra reel to reel deck and I also transfered that to dvcam.
I am using FCP 4.5 and and have imported the audio and video separately as NTSC dv.

I shot the film using clapper sticks and when I sync clap sound to picture the audio stays in sync for several seconds then goes out of sync.

If anyone can explain to me why this is happening I will greatly appreciate it.
Scott Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #114
Go Go Godzilla

SIIG Firewire 800 PCIe card not G5 Quad compatible - yet

(Note: I wasn't sure which forum this should go in and since this deals with Mac NLE's this seemed like the most logical place to put this)

I have a new Quad-core G5 w/5 external Firewire 800-speed drives (OWC Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum). I was originally going to transfer the LaCie Firewire 800 PCI card to the Quad from my Dual 2.7 but the Quad uses the newer PCIe slots so of course it won't fit.

I purcashsed directly from SIIG their PCIe Firewire 800 card (2 ports 800, 1 port 400) that is labeled as Mac compatible on their website. However, my Quad will not boot when drives are connected to the card.

I called SIIG tech support. The answer: "We don't have a Quad G5 to test our cards with, so we have no way of knowing the compatibility...". They just issed an RMA so I can return the card.

LaCie will be releasing their PCIe card in January but until then there is no PCIe Firewire 800 card available that is G5 Quad compatible.

For those wondering why this is such an issue:

The internal G5 Firewire bus controls both 400 and 800 ports, and is only as fast as the slowest device connected to it. The only way to avoid having faster 800 speed devices pulled down in speed is to have them on their own separate physical bus, which means installing a PCI Firewire card. Without an available card, that means that all my 800 speed drives will never see anything faster than whatever my Sony deck is connecting at, which is probably less than 400 speeds.
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #115
Tourist

FCP 5 system settings dvcpro50 24pa and dv

I shot with the sdx900 for the first time and upgraded my system to fcp 5...thinking life would be great. But now i cannot capture any video.

Has anyone figured out system settings for the AJ-SD930BP and FCP 5 over firewire? (the rental house gave me this deck instead of the AJ-SD93)

Thanks for any suggestions!
ch
Christina Hajdinjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:59 AM   #116
Tourist

horrible image that is flickering and wavy

My system is a G5 2.3GHz DC with a KONA LHe which I bought recently. When I try to monitor my FCP timeline on an external monitor through the KONA card, it gives me a horrible image that is flickering and wavy. I've tried plugging the cable into both a consumer and a LCD screen using downconcert composite and component but it still does the same thing. Does anyone have the same problem? I'm working with HDV 1080/50i footage and I've checked all my sequence settings are correct. Please help!
Joseph Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite