DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2005 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/32574-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2005-a.html)

Pam Timpson September 27th, 2004 05:48 AM

NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2005

Durability of external harddrives

I am running away to a faraway place that is humid and inhospitable to computers to log an absurd amount of footage from a seven year documentary. I am using a titanium G4 laptop that is finicky about firewire. I plan to log from deck to laptop and then save it on external drives. Questions: 1) Are some external firewire harddrive models/brands more reliabe/durable than others. If so, which takes a licking and keeps on ticking? 2) Which is more reliable/durable 4-250 drives or 1-raid terra bite? Many thanks!

Donie Kelly October 5th, 2004 07:23 PM

External video

Hi all

Just wondering if there is a way to playback the timeline both on my powebook and to firewire (to an external tv via camera) at the same time.

It looks like it's either one or the other.

Also, the clips in the timeline do not require rendering to playback on the powerbook but when I send to external video via firewire it show as requiring rendering (I've added a colour correction). Is there any way for it to just give me preview quality via firewire??? It's really a nusiance having to render everything all the time just to view on an external monitor.

Any help appreciated....
Donie

Donal Briard October 9th, 2004 01:24 AM

LumiereHD not needed, edit JVC HDV for free TODAY

After Apostolos Nikolakopoulos' rant on lumiereHD, I started playing around with a friend's JVC HDV camera and Final Cut Pro 4.5HD. I soon realised that any other software is totally unnecessary.

1- I used Apple's DVHSCap (from their latest FireWire SDK, available on their Apple.com developer's site for free) to capture a few minute of footage.

2- I DL Mpeg Streamline from versiontracker.com (freeware) and used it to DEmux the .m2t transport stream clips into .aiff + .m2v files. This does not alter your tracks, it separates them. Then, delete the .m2t for extra space.

3-I open the .m2v clips and using QT Pro with MPEG2 component (which I would guess everybody working in fcp has) and Export to DVCPRO HD 1280X720p frame rate is 29.97 just as my .m2v was in quicktime (it wasn't 30). The file I end up with is, to naked eye) A CARBON COPY OF MY MASTER (quality-wise) even when blown up to 200%.

4- I import that .mov DVCPRO HD clip into FCP and edit away in real time!

Michael Bendixen October 14th, 2004 03:01 PM

transcripting advice

My editing process involves a lot of transcipting, so I can collobrate with technical advisors across the country. Does anybody have any words on making my transcripting process more efficient, it's quite a laborious process. Is there technology that can help with this?

Thanks,

Michael

Heath Hays October 26th, 2004 01:18 PM

synchronized suicide

ive been having this problem. after capturing a few minutes of tape, i playback the footage in fcp. each time I get about 4 seconds of a gray matte looking image while my audio has already started. then my video starts to come in, you guessed it, 4 seconds late. what is going on?

heath

Christopher Lefchik October 29th, 2004 07:19 PM

Freeware utility to view DV file date/time

While searching for a freeware utility for Windows to view the date/time of a DV file I stumbled across one for Mac OS X. I thought I would share it with you Mac users in case it would be of help to any of you. It's called DVFileDateCM, and can be downloaded from http://www.trixsoftware.com/DVFileDateCM.html.

Oh, and if any of you would happen to know of something similar for Windows I would be grateful. I came up empty handed. You can reply to my original thread here.

Menguc Tanriseven November 1st, 2004 02:40 AM

reds and oranges

The reds and oranges in my footage looks fine on the monitor but when I capture it (or even when just viewing them in the capture viewer screen) on FCP on mac, or Imovie, the reds and oranges have halos around and jagged stairstepping look.
Everything look fine on the camera viewer and playing the footage on TV, but when it comes to viewing on computer it gets massy.
Here are two examples as what it looks like:
http://home.comcast.net/~toddgunnerson/vidhelp/shirt.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~toddgunnerson/vidhelp/lamp.jpg

I am shooting in Advanced 24P and capturing in 24p advanced pull down. Is this something related to compression?
I would appreciate your help
thanks for reading.
matt

Anthony Faust November 7th, 2004 05:30 PM

24p video looks blurry in FCP 3

Greetings everyone,

I have this problem. I shot my video on a DVX 100 Panasonic camera in 24P Standard mode, thick. I have Final Cut Pro 3. I'm editing on a 29.97 timeline and I imported the media as 29.97. When I put video clips on the timeline, it plays back fine and I don't have to render it.

However, when I adjust the speed of a clip, e.g. I change the speed from 100% to 75%, thereby making the clip longer and forcing me to render it, the playback of the video becomes blurry. When I take the video and reverse it, it does the same thing.

I'm thinking it's because I'm not using a 24p timeline. Apparently that feature is not available in FCP 3, but available in FCP 4. When I adjust the speed of a clip, it probably has to "blend" in the frames and because the media is 24 frames and I'm editing on a 29.97 timeline, that throws it out of wack and that's why it's blurry

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Anthony Faust

Deron Bauman November 7th, 2004 11:48 PM

fcp and fx1

Anyone have any information about when final cut pro will support the sony fx1 without a third party add on to capture the video?

Kurth Bousman November 8th, 2004 09:53 PM

upgraded g3 b&w and lost ata 66 drives-any ideas ?

hello - I just upgraded my old g3 to jaguar from os9.1 on a 6 gig partitioned HD- half running the OS and half running FCP. This computer was configured by a dealer and it has 4 x 25g ata66 deskstars . I also upgraded fcp to v3 from v1.25 on the other side. the good news is that it runs fcp 3 like a champ - the bad news is I've lost my 100 gigs of storage. When I installed jaguar , it told me that it would have to erase to install. So I figure I've lost the drivers . Would it be easier to buy some new ata's since the controller is in place? Do they come with new software ? Or a firewire? They're alot cheaper now than when these 25 gigs were the top of the heap . Thanks for any ideas . Kurth

Bernard Ong November 18th, 2004 10:00 PM

using motion and FCP

hi ppl..

planning to get a dual 2.5....
wanted to get the graphics card to Geforce 9800 ultra with 256 Ram...

(a) apparently, some ppl are telling me that its unstable...
true? anyone?

(b) or is the Radeon 6800 or the Geforce 9800 sufficient?

thks,
bernard
(singapore)

Alfred Okocha November 25th, 2004 12:41 PM

FCP 4.5 shortcut problems

After recently upgrading to 4.5 I suddenly realised that the F9 and F10 commans didn't work anymore.. (or they weren't working as supposed anyway..) has anybody else had the same problem?

Daniel Berube November 27th, 2004 10:56 PM

"HD in MOTION" Industry Event

Spread Holiday Cheer with the BOSFCPUG!

The Boston Final Cut Pro User Group, HB Communications and Boris FX invite you to combine cutting edge innovations in HD editing and motion graphics with a few cocktails while networking with Boston's filmmaking and motion design community. See firsthand the powerful features in Final Cut Pro HD, Boris Continuum Complete and Motion, Apple's high-performance motion graphic design and production application.

"HD in MOTION" Industry Event and Party
Where: Parris (enter through Ned Devine's), One Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Quincy Market Building 2nd Floor
When:_ Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Times: Doors Open at 6 pm; 6:30 pm-9:30 pm; party following with DJ music
Cost: $5 donation (open to the public)

Join us for presentations on how three time Academy Award-winning editor Walter Murch uses Final Cut Pro and what this means for Cinema; how Apple's motion graphics software MOTION works as a creative powerhouse with plug-ins like Boris Continuum Complete; and how AJA's new Kona 2 capture card was used with Final Cut Pro HD to cover baseball from the MLB Division Series through the World Series Championship Games.

After the presentations, stay for a party to socialize with your peers and enjoy the music.

Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar will be available throughout the evening. After the presentations, stay to socialize with your peers, pick the brains of industry gurus or just enjoy the music. Holiday Raffle features the AJA Io LD, the new FireStore FS-4 portable hard disk recorder, Boris Continuum Complete and other cool prizes.

For complete info and to register to attend, please visit:
http://www.bosfcpug.org

See you December 14th!

Gary Chavez January 3rd, 2005 09:39 AM

ClipLink question

Does FCP4 recognize ClipLink?

I wanna buy one of those tapes for my Ike 7 to experiment, seems like it could be handy if it works.
It creates a thumbnail with recird info everytime you hit the rec button, is that right?
But if you still have to digitize the tape to see the thumbnalis, whats the advantage?
thanks.

Scott Anderson January 4th, 2005 08:57 AM

AZ FCP User Group Meeting: 01/12

Phoenix area FCP Users! Please join us on January 12th from 6:30-9:00pm for the new AZ FCP User Group.

Take this opportunity to get in on the ground floor with a new User Group. Not only will this month's meeting be very informative, but we will make some exciting announcements about upcoming events through NAB in April.

Here's the link to the flyer for the 01/12 meeting. Feel free to pass this along to anyone interested in FCP.

http://members.cox.net/azscott/AZFCP...2005_small.jpg

(mods: If this is the wrong place to post this, please use my contact info on the flyer)

Corey MacGregor January 18th, 2005 02:02 PM

Disappearing Audio Files in FCPHD

Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and know's how to fix it. I'm using FCP 4.5HD. Every once in awhile I'll be editing as usual and all of a sudden I get that message saying that I some of my audio files have gone missing. Y'know the message that pops up if you trash your media files then open up a project. I've had this happen several times and it really sucks because I have to recapture and reconnect the media. Oh yeah, the files go missing from the project as well as the drive itself. I'll go to check the scratch disk where the audio files should be and they're not there. No problems with the video files that belong to them though, it's just the audio files.

Here's a rundown of my system:

G5 dual 2.0
OSX 10.3.6
FCPHD 4.5
Blackmagic Uncompressed Capture Card
Editing 8 bit uncompressed Betacam SX Footage

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me with this!

Corey

Pete Wilie January 20th, 2005 11:38 AM

Audio Window Effect in FCP HD

Is there a way in FCP HD to create an audio "window" effect?

Let me explain. I have a sequence where dialog is taking place between two people, one inside a car with the windows rolled up, the other outside. So, they are talking through the window. Both people were recorded on separate channels using lav mics.

So when I cut to a shot, say on the outside, where the person inside the car is talking, how do I filter the sound so that it sounds like it is coming through the window?

TIA.

Jen Dougherty January 24th, 2005 01:25 PM

FCP Training

Does anyone know any good LA FCP intermediate/advanced training programs? Right now I'm looking at NYFA's 3 month program and some 2 day workshops (can you really learn a lot in 2 days??). I have been using FCP for 4 years but am self taught...I want to learn more about effects and streaming (and DVD Pro, Cinema Tools and Soundtrack if possible - the NYFA program covers this). Thanks for any help!!

Rota Akimoto January 25th, 2005 08:29 PM

Motion Text to FCP problem

I'm new to both Motion and FCP so im just playing around now but i've encountered a few problems. First I'm not sure what preset to use for Motion. Up until now, ive been using the NTSC DV preset which is 720x480. But when i import it into FCP and export it as a DV stream, the text in the Motion created clip is very low quality, but everything else is okay. Is there anyway to fix this? Also, am i doing it right when i export it as DV stream if i want to use IDVD to burn it onto a DVD? If not then what is the right way for the best quality? thank you

Kurth Bousman January 27th, 2005 11:40 PM

Any users of istabilize ?

www.istabilize .de Has anyone given this a try and with what results ? thanks

Cannon Pearson January 29th, 2005 07:35 AM

Performance Comparison

http://www.macintouch.com/perfpack/comparison.html

I saw this posted on another forum and thought that it might be of interest here.

Stylianos Moschapidakis January 30th, 2005 07:47 AM

Motion CD available

As many of you may know already, Apple offers a 30-day trial of its Motion software which one can download from Apple's web site. I just received the 30-day trial of Motion on CD and was wondering if any of you wants it; I am not going to use it so I'll be happy to mail it to you.

David C. Scott January 31st, 2005 05:37 PM

In FCP - Link Multiple Video Clips to One Audio Clip?

Here's one I can't figure out: Is it possible to link multiple video clips (say, for instance, a series of still images) to one audio clip (an imported song, for example)? I'm successfully creating nice, tight synch among various still images and an audio track and want to make certain I wed each image to a precise point of the audio so that subsequent manipulation won't inadvertently separate the two. I certainly can link ONE of these still clips to a song track but as soon as I try to link a second picture to the same audio track, my first link disappears.

Peter Wiley February 2nd, 2005 07:19 AM

Article on H.264 codec

There is an interesting article on H.264 standard at MacCentral:

"One of the most talked-about video codecs in the last year, H.264, will make its debut in QuickTime 7 this year when Apple ships Mac OS X Tiger. Apple says that because H.264 is a standard and has been adopted by standards organizations and many other companies the battle for the successor to the current MPEG-2 video standard is basically over."

full article: http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/31/h264/index.php

This is quite a claim, and the comments on the story on the MacCentral site flesh out the growing debate. This Cringley article is interesting too: The Mac Mini is all about video.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html

Dave Kasprzyk February 15th, 2005 04:33 PM

FCP HD output a FLV file?

Sorry if this post is a bit basic, but I need to export video to an FLV file. I don't have Flash MX 2004, which seems to be the only way on the surface to do it. Am I wrong? Is there another way without buying more software?

Thanks,
Dave K.

Bryan Roberts February 22nd, 2005 10:44 AM

Mac mini: Extra HD for FCP and a month with the mini-

Well its been a month now with the mini: I just recently purchased a new external HD and was responding to one of the other HD posts when I realized it should be its own thread since people are still awaiting more mini verdicts.

FROM A PC - WHAT OF THE MINI:

After a month, the mini hasn't lost its novelty yet. It seems so impressive to be sitting next to my PC and have almost as much power in a much more elegant and quiet form. As a PC user coming over to Mac land, the thing I've been most pleased with however is OSX. I've really grown to love the feel and graphical grace of the OS, which when switching my input selector back and forth between XP and OSX on my monitor becomes quite evident after a short while. XP has started to feel extremely boxy and bland (well, this is unfair as I have windows configured graphically for the highest performance which puts everything into "classic style"). Also, its been nice to have only programs I need installed on the mini. PC users can attest that several months to a year after a clean os reinstall that the little programs we install, mostly PC only, really pile up and clutter everything. When switching over to my mac, there are just a few essential items to choose from (I cleaned up my Dock to have only the programs I need which is 4 or 5). Finally, internet has been a big strong point of the mini and macs as well. At first I was planning to keep my mini off line and untouched by the internet to hopefully keep performance high. After some coaxing by fellow members, I tried it out online and have been impressed with its lack of popups and it just feel like a clean run - (firefox OSX helps out a bunch as well). My only gripe is that I still have many programs that are PC only which constantly brings me back when I'd like to just spend a few days mac only online etc. (after effects, music programs like Rhapsody, compression programs I had only purchased for PC, Photoshop PC version, Frontpage). With these, the PC will remain a large part of my computing world for some time to come.

AN ESSENTIAL UPGRADE FOR FCP MINI USE:

I recently purchased a 300 gb Maxtor One Touch II external FW / USB 2 HD for the mini. Let me say that after hearing all the gripes of slow performance and a slow HD to blame on the mini that you MUST purchase at least an extra HD if you plan to work in FCP. I previously tried to capture some DVX100 24p footage to the internal 4200 rpm HD with audio sync problems but no dropped frames. I figured that the problem might lie elsewhere since there were so many posts regarding audio sync issues. With the One Touch II, the system captured perfectly with no dropped frames and perfectly synced audio (plug your DV camera into the second FW port on the back of the One Touch II and set your capture scratch to the external drive, works like a charm). My test segments were both short and long ranging from 15 seconds to 30 minutes with perfect results.

Previously while running FCP with footage captured onto the internal 4200 drive and running FCP off that same drive, the performance was just at acceptable. I had been used to running FCP on other people's powerbooks with 512 megs of ram so it was almost at the same level using one drive- which isn't super fast but you can get a cuts only job done (and in fact I cut the majority of a feature length film on a director's powerbook and Lacie external HDs without any significant hiccups). Now, the 1.4 mini with 1 gig of ram should have been running a bit faster than these older powerbooks but what I found out is that the 2.5 internal drive was the big bottleneck. When running FCP now with the footage captured on the One Touch II, it was like running a different machine. I tried to lag the system by randomly seeking in footage and other tests with ease where previously there started to be struggles. Granted the render times wont be too much faster as that's mainly processor but when using footage and non renders, the difference is incredible.

The One Touch II also impressed me in comparison with Lacies I've used in the past. I know one director who has 7 external Lacie drives so I've seen quite a few - The Lacie's are a dependable drive, I've never had a single problem with any of them but they're loud and when they go to sleep, it takes a while to get them going again and they sound similar to a jet starting up when they do. The Maxtor is barely audible sitting right next to me cooling fan included. When seeking for information, the disk drive is super quiet not to mention its time from sleep to wake is noticeably brief. I was able to purchase mine for $245 shipped from my favorite online store, NewEgg so the price wasn't too harsh for 300 gbs. Finally the included software took 5 minutes to setup and a few minutes to format the drive for mac use and that was it. In conclusion, the One Touch II really impressed me and made FCP much more pleasent to use nudging my FCP on a mini rating from just at acceptable to running well (again, I'm coming from powerbooks not g5s and this is SD not HD which I doubt would be as kind).

NOT AS UPGRADEABLE BUT LOOK TO ALTERNATIVE UPGRADES FOR HELP:

Right, there seems like not much to upgrade to with a cap of 1 gig on the motherboard, the processor option and that's it. Well as we all knew but I know understand first hand, the slow internal HD is the bottleneck which can lag some of the 1.4 mini speed down to laptop levels, essentially an LCDless laptop in a "cute" box. If you're doing FCP work, a fast external drive should be mandatory for you, otherwise things will be rough and you'll feel like an idiot for trying to work on the mini. My One Touch II really brought more confidence in my mini as a reliable FCP edit box (I would consider it more reliable than a powerbook, possibly because it'll be moved less) and people edit longer projects all the time on powerbooks and external FW drives, mainly cut only.

So now what to upgrade? Well, the final issue for FCP use and my other programs is still the internal 4200 rpm drive. This can be upgraded with a 7200 speed 2.5 inch 60 gig Hitachi drive for ~$150. A spin cycle increase from 4200 to 7200 is significant and this would be the final bottleneck to open up. I don't plan on this upgrade in the near future but it will be my next and final upgrade at somepoint. So, expandability? Well not the greatest like having a tower but it's not awful - you have ram and HD's to work on which leaves out adding a second processor, vid card or perhaps a firewire 800 drive but with FCP bumping along for what I do, these aren't dire concerns. If you're a gamer, it would suck.

Finally, at what cost will I reach that I kick myself for not getting an emac or spending a little more on a g5 imac? As I've always said, the emac and g5 imac have always been out of the picture because I didn't need or want another monitor to clutter up my desk space. I already have an LCD screen I'm very happy with and really hated the thought of having a non-laptop mac tethered to a screen. So my only other possible kick myself option would be a used mac. It seems as though a souped up dual processor G4 might have been an option but these go for a bundle on ebay. My current mini mac costs, for the top of the line is now around 1g with the used souped up g4's running $400 more and that's for used off ebay which can be a little unnerving. Used single G5 processors can be had for also about $400 - $500 more than what I've spent on my mini mac but these are towards the base model end with not as much ram and I'd want to upgrade them right away which would knock that up to $700 more than the mini mac costs which is technically more than enough to purchase a second mini! Bottom line is if you've used FCP before and are comfortable with the system at a single processor g4 rate and dont' need a new monitor that can only be used with your mac, then the mini can be a great system for you. I'm still happy with the purchase but I think I was inside the direct target market of the product (though on the fringe with souped up mini FCP plans). Hope this helps...

Tom Koerner March 7th, 2005 02:53 PM

Coring Post-Pro Equivalent?

I've recently gotten some footage that, were I shooting, I could have cleared up by adjusting the Coring on camera. Basically there is a room, lit low levels in a similar orange tone (simulating candle light). All the larger surfaces have some distracting noise.

Is there anything I can do as an editor to conduct damage control on this? I'm running FCHD, but I'm pretty good with after effects too if there's any tricks or plugins i could use.

Aaron Koolen March 9th, 2005 05:23 PM

What's the difference? FCP 4, 4.5, HD?

I've been looking around and notice some vendors selling FCP in the following versions

FCP HD and FCP HD 4.5

Are these different? I thought 4.5 was the HD version?

Cheers
Aaron

Jaime Corretjer March 9th, 2005 07:39 PM

How do you make a WM9 DVD?

Newbe user here, just read about Flip4mac and Im unsure if there are any other compresion/conversion tools available for HD enconding to the wm9 format. Also read about the wm9 dvd players too.

Now, with the introduction of this technology, I am starting lean towards a JVC HD1 for starters (I know the FX1 is superior). Im a dual 2.5 user who has not upgraded to FCP HD or FCE HD yet. I think as far as hardware, with the addition of ram, Im ready for HD. My main question is, is this a new way to distribute hd?

How do you make a wm9 dvd ready to be played in one of this players?
Do you finalize your project into the wm9 format first?
How does it work with IDVD? Im confuse about the relationship between the wm9 and the mpeg2 formats and dvd burning. Can I just burn wm9 footage or can I still produce menus for my wm9 dvd.

If this is possible, Im surprised I haven't heard more of this new distribution tool. Please advice. Thank you

Steve Anderson March 10th, 2005 10:55 AM

FCE Segment Limits

I’m using a modest but very dependable eMac 800mhz – 768MB’s – 700gigs total hard drive capacity – OS 10.2.8 Running FCE 2.0
The FCE manual says a sequence can be up to 2 hours long. I have never even come close to pushing that limit until recently. I created a 60 minute sequence of wedding footage and everything looked a played fine on the viewer and canvas on screen monitors. So I exported as Quick Time movie to use in iDVD. After exporting I reviewed the QT movie at around 35 minutes the video disappeared only audio remained. I tried checking FCE preferences settings etc. and re-exported the footage with same result. I ended up dividing the sequence and exporting both segments which did work. I seem to be limited to around 35 minute segments for video. Other than this bug I haven’t had any problems - no crashing, freezing etc. since I installed FCE 2.0 about 4 months ago. – Any one else experience this? Should I reinstall FCE ?- Is there a setting I missed to increase segment limits ? What do you think?
One last thing FCE 2.0 has the same interface as Pro and settings are simular so you folks running FCP could be helpful (Pro manual says segments can be 4 hours long)
Thanks for any input -

Dan Frievalt March 10th, 2005 04:50 PM

Chapter Markers in nested sequences not working

I am trying to export my FCP 4 project with chapter markers for iDVD 3 and they do not show up when I use a nested sequence. They do show up if I export one of my sequences that isn't nested. Is this a common bug with FCP and iDVD?

Matt Sa March 11th, 2005 12:02 PM

de-noise

i have a couple of shots that are kinda not so well lit. can anyone tell me how to de-noise and clean up the shots? thanx.

Elmer Lang March 11th, 2005 06:25 PM

TC Oddities

Hello,

An old project being resusitated has some weird happenings.

Unused footage was originally removed. I want to recapture the used footage again but using the original UN-Media Managed sequence. But looking at the TC it's often way over an hour, when I know the cameraman only shoots an hour with each tape.

And then, footage that seems right (under 1 hour) is not accurate.

Can using Media Manager have odd effects?

I know there was sped up motion in a couple places and as I recall it can look weird in the TC but somehow gets captured correctly.

Why I went to the original sequences was because the Media Managed clips had odd TC too, so that's why I'm looking for some connection.

Another odd thing is that after the project gets saved and reopened, when I click on a missing clip, in the Viewer there are runes and squiggles instead of 'Tape 1'.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Elmer Lang
<http://elmerlang.com>

Frank Meek March 12th, 2005 01:10 PM

split long sequence in FCP for iDVD compatibility

Hi there,
I have a 01:49:41;00 finished sequence in FCP for broadcast. The project, for my own reasons, is a single sequence to which I have added chapter markers for DVD play, (it's an instructional/tutorial). I am in the middle of other work w/DVDSP and I wondered if there is any way to create two discs out of one sequence for output to iDVD. I have not used this application much though I am aware of its temporal/spatial limitations of no more than sixty minutes of reasonable quality per disc.
As might be expected, this project is heavy with titling, effects, transitions, etc., and is no small file. Can I separate or "copy", (I don't have unlimited drive space, even on several 800 FW drives) part of the timeline/sequence? In essence, I want to split the sequence for a two disc play. Possible? How to?
Thanks,
Frank

Ignacio Rodriguez March 14th, 2005 10:21 AM

Transcoding DivX with subtitles in a Mac?

I have been trying to convert DivX-encoded movies to something I can use in FCP or to DVD on a Mac. I have had partial success, using Compressor or tools like HyperEngine and even the QuickTime player. BUT I have not been able to transcode movies with subtitles. I can see movies with external subtitle files in real time using VLC, which is great. But I would like to find a way to transcode that with the burned-in subtitles. Any ideas?

Loch Phillipps March 17th, 2005 01:02 PM

FCP and decklink extreme

We just added a decklink extreme card, Medea RT3 800 gig RAID, and ATTO card to our FCP system. We did this in order to edit various types of footage together at the highest possible quality. We are generally working with DV25, DV50, Beta, and occasionally digibeta.

What is the best setting to use if 3 or more of these formats will be mixed in one video? I'm guessing 10bit NTSC, but DV50 might also work.

We are currently trying to digitize both DV25 and DV50 footage from a DV deck using SDI and this doesn't seem to work at all. We can't figure out why. When we digitize via YRB, both DV25 and DV50 look fine in the computer but DV50 looks jerky on our NTSC monitor. The monitor is currently playing via firewire from the monitor because we couldn't get it to work any other way.

I'm guessing our hookup is wrong but we can't get anyone from Blackmagic or Tekserve tech support to call us back. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Loch

Boyd Ostroff March 18th, 2005 01:29 PM

Bryce is back

DAZ Productions bought Bryce from Corel last summer, and are now marketing version 5 again for the Mac http://bryce.daz3d.com/

Version 5.01 is the same one which Corel was selling two years ago when they pulled the plug on further Mac development. I upgraded to version 5 in 2003 and had to look around quite a bit to find someone who still had a copy in stock.

This seems like good news to me since I've worked extensively with Bryce and think it's a great piece of software for creating landscapes and natural phenomena. They are holding out some hope of future versions
Quote:

DAZ considers Bryce to contain an important set of tools and is strongly dedicated to its future development

As with all other DAZ software applications, the real future of Bryce depends on its users.

Daniel Kohl March 19th, 2005 05:11 PM

How to make META DATA visible?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the meta data (like: date and time) to show up on screen in either FCP or Quicktime. Or for that matter in any movie format.

I was looking for an effect like "show time-code" but for date / time in FCP, but I couldn't find one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Heath McKnight April 4th, 2005 07:03 AM

Help! Potential FCP HD and OS X 10.3.8 problems

Hey everyone,

I've noticed similar problems between my work's Apples, FCP HD, OS X 10.3.8 and LaCie external firewire drives, and what I'm using at home. At home, my FCP HD claims that there's no video as I re-capture my footage from a project. Trashing FCP HD preferences helped for a while, then back to the same stuff.

At work, files can't be transferred (permissions were repaired several times) at times and also, some projects couldn't be rendered without crashing the program. I will trash the preferences today.

This got me to thinking--we had no problems like this, at home or work, until after we downloaded OS X 10.3.8. I hear 10.3.9 will be coming out soon, before Tiger, so maybe that will help.

But in the meantime, I have projects at home on deadline, and my students at work need to wrap up their films, too, for a screening next week.

HELP!

Thanks,

heath

Scott Anderson April 8th, 2005 03:07 PM

Media100 Software Only Product Coming!

Media100 is going to be distributing software-only versions of it's editing program on CD-Rom at NAB. The beta version will be time-bombed, but will be fully functional for a period of time.

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/videograp...le_12241.shtml

I personally think it's about time Media 100 freed itself from the shackle of hardware-dependence. If they had made this move 4 or 5 years ago, they might have still been a player in the editing world, instead of trying to regain marketshare under bankruptcy-purchaser Optibase.

I left Media 100 for Final Cut as soon as I got a G5, but I'd like to have the capability to go back to old projects in software and make changes, or pull out old media without transcoding or exporting from my old dinosaur machine.

There were some things I really liked about the Media100 interface, but FCP is just too flexible and deep for me to consider going back anytime soon. I'm just hoping for a VERY reasonable upgrade price so I can use that backward-compatibility for my old stuff.